• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Wasn't sure if I should put this here, or in the Great Outdoors forum.

I need to split some pretty large wood, and this stuff is so large I don't have a knife large enough to baton it. I need to get a maul.

Got a favorite maul or manual wood splitting tool? Would grabbing a cheap one at Walmart do the trick? I don't want some junk that's going to fall apart on me in a year.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Truper makes decent stuff.
    Make sure you get the fiberglass handled one,
    because even though the hickory one is excellent,
    if you hit an oak stump wrong, that mother will send enough reverb
    through your wrists to make it a very unpleasant day.

Did several winters with the hickory Truper. However you spell it.
    No longer out in the country or I'd still be using one.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Gransfors Bruks, splitting axe or splitting maul. I like the axe as it is faster. At a lower price Wetterlings does well but the edge needs touched up more often. Both are light years ahead of any production splitter I've used. Both makers offer splitting hatchets as well, which are good for close quarters use.

You'll never contrive a situation to split wood with a knife again.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    What yeah said if you want some really nice sharp tools.

I use a wedge and a sledge for big logs. I do want to try the Gerber X27, though. It's on my list along with a Council Tool splitting maul and axe.

I've heard a ton of good things about the Gerber...as long as it is sharp.

I have tons of trees down I need to take the chainsaw to, split, and burn. The wedge/sledge has done well so far, but I have so much more to clear that I'm going to start messing with other tools to see what works best.

Last edited:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    A few years ago, I purchased a maul from Rural King that is a beast and totally lacks refinement. It is all metal, head and handle, and must weigh 20+/-lbs. It was very inexpensive. If you can lift it, splitting wood is a snap...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I split a dozen ricks a year back in the 80's. I tried many different mauls. My favorites (one is none,) were two no name 6# sledge eye mauls. Axes and heavier mauls weren't nearly as productive.

Maybe they have improved them, but the fiberglass handles vibrated my hands so much I could not stand to use them. Hickory all the way for me.

You need to let the tool do the work, concentrating on your swing and weight distribution. It was always interesting ringing the bell at the county fairs every time when much bigger fellows couldn't get it once.

Lafayette Yeti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    You need to let the tool do the work, concentrating on your swing and weight distribution. It was always interesting ringing the bell at the county fairs every time when much bigger fellows couldn't get it once.

I've found that head speed is the most important factor, get an axe (maul, whatever) with the heaviest head you can swing fast. There's obviously going to be a trade off at some point, but speed is more important, imho.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've found that head speed is the most important factor, get an axe (maul, whatever) with the heaviest head you can swing fast. There's obviously going to be a trade off at some point, but speed is more important, imho.

Absolutely correct. Head speed, square strike, long handle to "pull" the bit through.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I picked up one of these Fiskar's 36 inch mauls at Walmart today.

This thing goes through the wood like butter, no complaints here! I even had a couple of full force over-strikes, the handle barely had a mark on it, and the vibration was barely noticeable.

Thanks all.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I picked up one of these Fiskar's 36 inch mauls at Walmart today.

This thing goes through the wood like butter, no complaints here! I even had a couple of full force over-strikes, the handle barely had a mark on it, and the vibration was barely noticeable.

Thanks all.

I've had one of their camp axes for about twelve years. That handle doesn't appear to be as tough as it actually is.

Top Bottom