Spider ID? (dont click if you dont like spiders)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Approval! I live for that!
    6189744778_0fe0c63842.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Spiders out everywhere here in the GSF, go ATV riding and you're covered with webs in no time.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I hate spiders. However, the orb weaver is probably the coolest of all spiders. They are definitely nocturnal and their webs are almost perfectly circular. I spent about an hour the other night watching one build it's web.

If you ever come across a full size one I'm it's web at night, blow on the web. It will pull it's legs in and start bouncing up and down like crazy. Scared the **** out of me the first time it happened. It's almost like it was trying to intimidate me.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Since orb weavers don't see well, when vibrations come through the web (could be an insect, could be you blowing on it), they shake the web to increase the chances that the possible insect will get tangled in more web and get really stuck.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    It's definitely an orb weaver. I have them all over my pier and house.

I leave them be, they eat the mosquitoes and flies.

-edit-

I hate spiders and generally smash any in the house, but I've yet to see a single orb weaver in my house in the 11 years I've lived here.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley

-edit-

I hate spiders and generally smash any in the house, but I've yet to see a single orb weaver in my house in the 11 years I've lived here.

Same here. They are all over my place and freaking huge butt i let them be. Some of them are actually pretty cool looking. I have them on my covered back porch but they don't come inside so I let them have their space.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Since orb weavers don't see well, when vibrations come through the web (could be an insect, could be you blowing on it), they shake the web to increase the chances that the possible insect will get tangled in more web and get really stuck.

That's interesting and explains a lot. They never run from me but it scared the **** out of me the first time it happened.

The night I was watching the one shake it's web, I saw another wired looking spider crawling along the perimeter of the web to get up into a tree.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

-edit-

I like spiders. In THEIR space. I didnt nuke them all, just inside my garage and near the doors. I left the ones in the eaves and other infrequently traveled parts of the property.

I only kill spiders that are in the house or are harmful to humans. (wife made me clear the ones I did. She is so arachnaphobic she insists on flushing the body down the toilet. No trace for their buddies to find so they can get revenge. :lmfao:)

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    So...last year we had a ton of Sowbug Killer Spiders on our property but this year I have yet to see one. Anyone else noticed the same thing? Oh by the way these things hurt like hell when they bite so be careful when handling things they may be living under. Grabbed a board last year and happened to pinch one under my finger...ouch. If you have not seen the chompers on these guys you are really missing out. They don't have any venom but it is worst than any bee sting I have ever had.
    DysderaNickRichter2010_zpsgpgbn83k.jpg

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Never seen them, but when I go to put my pier sections back in each spring I have black widows under it.

Pressure washer solves that problem.

I spray the sections with a synthetic pyrethroid, but the little fkers are persistent.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Funnel web and recluse around here.
    They hang in the bushes and landscaping. Once in a while you see one running along the foundation.
    I see them in the wood shed (lean too) in the summer at times.
    We spray around the wood and the deck to keep them at bay.
    Savin powder along the foundation and in key areas where the kids play.

Last year around this time we had huge webs every where. Not sure what the spiders were but they were huge and scary.
    This year not so much.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Funnel web and recluse around here.
    They hang in the bushes and landscaping. Once in a while you see one running along the foundation.
    I see them in the wood shed (lean too) in the summer at times.
    We spray around the wood and the deck to keep them at bay.
    Savin powder along the foundation and in key areas where the kids play.

Last year around this time we had huge webs every where. Not sure what the spiders were but they were huge and scary.
    This year not so much.
    Don't know what you mean by "funnel web." They are not on the list of venomous spiders found in the US. There certainly are funnel web weavers in the US, but they are not venomous to humans.

https://sites.google.com/site/venomousdangerous/spiders/n-america-s-most-venomous-spiders

People get all bent out of shape about recluses, considering only 4 people die from spiders per year in this country. You have a MUCH greater chance of drowning in your own bathtub or being struck by lightning. Oklahoma and Missouri are the heart of recluse range, so much so that they are often found living under beds in houses. But you don't hear about epidemics of spider death there. BR bites are the lazy doctor's catch-all for necrotizing wounds, though they are almost never the cause. I knew personally of two neighbors in NE Ohio who were diagnosed with BR bites but that area is far out of their range.

UCR Spiders Site: Myth of the Brown Recluse

Last edited:
    Top Bottom