Speed Limits: Do they make you feel safe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do speed limits make you feel safe?

• Total voters

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Call me crazy, but I don't want any new laws for cops to enforce. I guess I don't have the love of growing government that I ought to.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Speed limits are made for the lowest common denominator.

Yep, the problem is the lowest common denominator usually think they are setting the standard for the skill set. Normally in a car mommy and or daddy bought them.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    People in the US are, for the most part, very impolite drivers as well...truckers especially. Most US drivers don't watch any further out than the end of their hoods, they pass poorly, drive in the wrong lane, don't know how to merge with traffic...the list goes on and on.

...yet they all think they need to be in front. Notice I DIDN'T say drive faster. They'll speed up so they can whip over in front of you and slow down, about the only time they'll get in the right lane.

I'm ok with most inner city, or in town speed limits. They seem very reasonable to me. Interstate Limits should be like 80 in the country and 70 in the city. What I really have a problem with is country roads. I would like to see the speed limits on country roads bumped to 55 instead of 45.

I would also like to see tax collectors, I mean Police Officers, use a little more discretion. If it's Sunday morning and the road is straight and clear, who cares if I run 15 over.

I care and the collectors of the "stupid tax" can sit in my driveway and collect it all day long if they want to. I'll even plant more bushes for them if they want them to hide in. I wish they were there a hundred times more than they are.

Funny how you are fine with it in front of your own house and in YOUR neighborhood. If you want to drive like a fool then stay close to home, there may be a black cement block in the road when you aren't expecting it. There are some just a foot or two off the pavement in the bushes, I guarantee it.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar21/ch5.html
    Indiana Code 9-21-5

IC 9-21-5-8.5
    Low speed vehicles
    Sec. 8.5. A person may not drive a low speed vehicle on a highway that has a speed limit in excess of thirty-five (35) miles per hour.
    As added by P.L.21-2003, SEC.8.

<A name=IC9-21-5-9>IC 9-21-5-9
    Vehicles traveling at reduced speeds; use of right lane
    Sec. 9. A vehicle that travels at a speed less than the established maximum shall travel in the right lanes to provide for better flow of traffic on the interstate highways.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

IC 9-21-5-14
    Maximum speed of school buses and special purpose buses
    Sec. 14. (a) A person may not operate a school bus or a special purpose bus at a speed greater than:
    (1) sixty (60) miles per hour on a federal or state highway; or
    (2) forty (40) miles per hour on a county or township highway.
    (b) If the posted speed limit is lower than the absolute limits set in this section or if the absolute limits do not apply, the maximum lawful speed of a bus is the posted speed limit.
    As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.24. Amended by P.L.107-2006, SEC.2; P.L.114-2007, SEC.2.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar21/ch5.html

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It's true US drivers, in general, don't seem to be as polite as they used to be, but they don't hold a candle to other countries as far as seemingly reckless driving.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Call me crazy, but I don't want any new laws for cops to enforce. I guess I don't have the love of growing government that I ought to.

You know I agree with you in principle. Good traffic laws, however, are one of the proper and best uses of government. Instead of ticketing me for going 85 on a clear highway, ticket the idiot going five miles below (or even going the speed limit) in the left lane, causing traffic to stack up behind him and people to pass on the right.

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    Sorry that is wrong ... in AZ on photo radar the ticket is mailed and under LAW if you don't respond ... the ticket is void ... now if they really want you they will on a rare occasion send a the cops for you or a process server

Dawn Teo: AZ GOP Director: No Apology, Claims His Arrest "Political," Has "No Memory" Of Incident

The mailed ticket for out of state'rs is the same ... I don't speed in Phoenix ..but I could ... they mail it and I throw it away ... nothing happens ... they are thinking about changing the exclusion on the void if unanswered .
    Thanks

Well, your interpretation is closer to my initial assumption, but, under the LAW that I read, it doesn't "void" if you do nothing, the only thing that voids is any judgement on the complaint if it's done without establishing jurisdiction by acknowledging receipt of the complaint, per Ariz.R.Civ.P. 4.1(c)(3). They can choose to serve the complaint with other means, as you said. You're taking a chance by tossing it, but thats what most people do.

The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me, why even bother with the ticket if it's not enforceable.

Top Bottom