• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    It's good to see you excited, my friend!
    It is exciting. As you know, I grew up during Apollo, although you may not know my dad had small part in that.

I could never get really excited about Space Shuttle, it seemed like a giant kludge without real direction or purpose. I guess the problem was it had too many directions and too many purposes.

Reusable spacecraft like the Falcon 9 and the Starship/SuperHeavy are amazing. They have purpose and success, and it’s pretty exciting.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Anyone watch IFT4 this morning?

looked like ship had major burn through on the flaps, but the software made enough adjustments to bring it in for a landing burn and “soft” landing in the Indian ocean.

they fix the heat issues with the shield panels and they have it made.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county

looked like ship had major burn through on the flaps, but the software made enough adjustments to bring it in for a landing burn and “soft” landing in the Indian ocean.

Yes, very impressive. The control panels made it through the highest temps ok, but suffered damage when the pressure against them increased at lower altitude while the air friction was still hot. Also, brilliant idea of using Starlink as a communication relay to get data and video continuously even during what used to be the reentry blackout period. Gotta beef up those camera lenses though, and maybe add some wipers that’ll work at Mach 5!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's good to see the US back in the game, but I've always wondered why they discarded proven 1960s technology like the Rocketdyne F1.

0 z8tIuIc71TJ9LWaF.jpg

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    It's good to see the US back in the game, but I've always wondered why they discarded proven 1960s technology like the Rocketdyne F1.

View attachment 357442
    I watched a documentary on apollo and they said the engines went through so many changes on a short turnaround and some changes did not get documented as they should and they felt new F1 engines couldn’t be made today. Basically they lost the knowledge and talent to make them.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Yes. It was amazing.

Next flight should be relatively soon, with possibly a booster catch at Boca Chica. I may have to go watch that one in person.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I watched a documentary on apollo and they said the engines went through so many changes on a short turnaround and some changes did not get documented as they should and they felt new F1 engines couldn’t be made today. Basically they lost the knowledge and talent to make them.
    The underlying manufacturing technology has changed so much it would be more work to build what essentially is a lesser design.

And the Apollo/Saturn V/F-1 cannot be made to do what the Star Ship/Super Heavy/Raptor are designed to do. Lifting 100 to 250 tons to orbit and beyond, refueling in space, and returning the booster and (optionally) the Star Ship to Earth And THEN using them again — is way beyond what has gone before.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Elon drives his companies to rethink things from first principles and make them as simple as possible, especially WRT manufacturing them. “The best part is no part” is one of his sayings.

SuperHeavy and Starship are powered by Raptor engines. Currently they are using Raptor version 2, but they’ve been working on version 3 to make it simpler, easier to produce, lighter, and more powerful.

Elon published on X a picture of the first Raptor 3.

Tory Bruno is the CEO of ULA, SpaceX competitor composed of the space divisions of Boeing and Lockheed Martin. When Elon published the picture of Raptor 3, Bruno decided to throw some shade:

Today Raptor 3 was test fired for first time at MacGregor Texas and Gwynne Shotwell, President and COO of SpaceX, posted this:

Fuel was not the only thing that got burned today.

Here are Raptors 1, 2, and 3 for comparison.
    IMG_0900.jpeg

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Elon drives his companies to rethink things from first principles and make them as simple as possible, especially WRT manufacturing them. “The best part is no part” is one of his sayings.

SuperHeavy and Starship are powered by Raptor engines. Currently they are using Raptor version 2, but they’ve been working on version 3 to make it simpler, easier to produce, lighter, and more powerful.

Elon published on X a picture of the first Raptor 3.

Tory Bruno is the CEO of ULA, SpaceX competitor composed of the space divisions of Boeing and Lockheed Martin. When Elon published the picture of Raptor 3, Bruno decided to throw some shade:

Today Raptor 3 was test fired for first time at MacGregor Texas and Gwynne Shotwell, President and COO of SpaceX, posted this:

Fuel was not the only thing that got burned today.

Here are Raptors 1, 2, and 3 for comparison.
    View attachment 371885

I have been watching this for a while. It is absolutely amazing the degree to which SpaceX has simplified the raptor engine. Keep in mind that the simplifications have far-reaching ramifications for super heavy and starship as well. The first super heavy had tons of shielding for the raptors between the inner and outer bands. Part of the work has been to reduce the need for such shielding, which included the simplification of the engines and plumbing.

This just goes to show once again how far ahead SpaceX is compared to the rest of the US rocketry industry. The rest of the industry has relied upon US government funding and direction since the inception of the first post world war II missile programs. What we see from them are the rocket motors created by a bureaucracy, and the committee.

SpaceX from the beginning was focused on commercial operations, had only limited government funding, and was wholly focused on profitability which required simplification and reuse. The Gap now between SpaceX and most of the traditional rocket industry in the US is pretty shocking.

I frequently joke that Elon musk is an alien. I'm not entirely sure that's not somewhat true based upon what he has done with SpaceX.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have been watching this for a while. It is absolutely amazing the degree to which SpaceX has simplified the raptor engine. Keep in mind that the simplifications have far-reaching ramifications for super heavy and starship as well. The first super heavy had tons of shielding for the raptors between the inner and outer bands. Part of the work has been to reduce the need for such shielding, which included the simplification of the engines and plumbing.

This just goes to show once again how far ahead SpaceX is compared to the rest of the US rocketry industry. The rest of the industry has relied upon US government funding and direction since the inception of the first post world war II missile programs. What we see from them are the rocket motors created by a bureaucracy, and the committee.

SpaceX from the beginning was focused on commercial operations, had only limited government funding, and was wholly focused on profitability which required simplification and reuse. The Gap now between SpaceX and most of the traditional rocket industry in the US is pretty shocking.

I frequently joke that Elon musk is an alien. I'm not entirely sure that's not somewhat true based upon what he has done with SpaceX.

Crew capsule as well as rocket tech, they are years ahead of anyone else.

Top Bottom