• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    That isn't correct, unless you work for one of the few special exceptions that do not fall under Indiana WC. But since you mention it, I assume that is not the case. Indiana WC says that after 7 days you start drawing temporary total disability if you are off work. If you are still off at day 22 (these are calendar days, not work days) then you get paid for the first 7 as well. If you are released with modified or restricted duties that decrease your pay, then you will be compensated for that as well. The union isn't doing that, the insurance company that your employer pays premiums too is.

I'm not in INDIANA;)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Lists top contributors and which party(s) they made 'donations' to.

Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2010 | OpenSecrets

An article about Service Employess Internation expenditures to political campaigns

Fargo american government Articles, Fargo american government News | Examiner.com

Leading Union Polical Contributors:

Leading Union Political Contributions…It’s Obvious Who The Democrats Work For « Rock River Patriots

Still say your Union doesn't use your dues to promote it's own political safety net? Sure, it's illegal, Directly that is. That's why they have Political Action Commities.... Unions have done as everything they can to keep the Dems in power. They know that the Dems will never place any restrictions on them without giving them a loophole so they can conduct business as usual.

Same Wolf, Different Fleece.

I didn't say MY union didn't contribute I said I DON'T If other people are foolish enough to contribute their money so be it. It doesn't change the fact the union can not contribute your money unless you sign up for it and have money withheld from your check for that purpose.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    What is this no show-no call you speak of, I've told the lead man if some one doesn't show up to work, call them & find out what is wrong, If they can't get a hold of the worker, then a SICK DAY will be issued BUT NEVER GIVE a WORK a NO-SHOW NO CALL cause they can be fired;)

Perhaps that was thought in purple?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    NO purple, cause I wasn't kidding. Since I've been a UNION REP. I've only lost one union worker, he was fired for abusing WORKMAN'S COMP, but we are trying to get his job back

And cut!

So, someone who doesn't show on time and doesn't call is not reported as such.

The union is fighting to bring back an employee who defrauded the company and the state.

And there's a question why many people think bad things about unions?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    And cut!

So, someone who doesn't show on time and doesn't call is not reported as such.

The union is fighting to bring back an employee who defrauded the company and the state.

And there's a question why many people think bad things about unions?

What ever happened to INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY, The UNION will take his case to arbitration, I think we'll win;)

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    What is this no show-no call you speak of, I've told the lead man if some one doesn't show up to work, call them & find out what is wrong, If they can't get a hold of the worker, then a SICK DAY will be issued BUT NEVER GIVE a WORK a NO-SHOW NO CALL cause they can be fired;)

At my company a "No-call No-Show" is when the worker dosn't show up for work and doesn't offer a reason why or notice.

No-call No-show is a big deal at my workplace. Because the supervisor will usually spend most of the day trying to reach the working to make sure everything is ok. One of the shift leaders on the other side of the building drove to the worker's house to find that the woman had a stroke in her car in the driveway while waiting for the car to warm up. Family and medical emergency's are understood.

But if some just doesn't show because they don't feel like it and they don't give notice. It usually results in termination.

And as a favor gunman41mag. Could you please stop capitalizing random words in your posts for emphasis? it is very distracting.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The dues are for keeping up the union hall, & paying the union hall bills & employees, & we get a pension when we retired

So I will ask you again:

Why give them your money and get it back later in the form of a pension instead of just keeping your own money and putting it in a savings account?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    What ever happened to INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY, The UNION will take his case to arbitration, I think we'll win;)

What ever happened to the right to fire a crappy employee?

We're all aware that you are enjoying the benefits of taking things from your employer that you are in no way entitled to or even deserving of. This is the point of the modern union. Telling us of your exploits is not enough to convince any of us of the validity of this system or of our government's support of it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I will start by saying that I have never worked for a union. My mother has worked for several. She would return home when I was younger and tell stories about the horrible abuse that union workers would perpetrate on the company. One example would be a 45 minute bathroom break. The other would be a janitor who threatened to kill a manager that told him to do his job. The janitor was simply moved to another department.

Needless to say I was very anti union.

However, since I have aged and thought about things I find myself thinking it was management that was lazy. Every union contract, no matter what, will have rules for firing an employee. This may include a dozen hoops to jump through, but IF management would get off its butt and jump through the hoops - the unions hands were tied. There would be nothing they could do.

A friend of mine worked for four (4) steel mills - all union. He told stories that in two (2) of the mills the union was putting the company out of business, yet in the other two (2) the union was saving the company from idiot managers.

Who is right? Is a union good or bad? I think the only honest answer is, "it depends..."

The overall negative of a union is: sometimes (often?) defending a useless worker from just termination. This does happen and no denying it. BUT I will revert to: the union can't stop squat IF management jumps through all the hoops in the contract and fires the worker per the contract. Lazy management? In my opinion, yes.

I think that if we all step down from our soapboxes and think for a moment all of our experiences are anecdotal. There are thousands of union shops all across the country. Any union worker has worked in far less than 1% of them, so no matter what their views, they are limited to an extremely small fraction.

On the opposite side there are thousands of nonunion shops all across the country. Any nonunion worker has worked in far less than 1% of them, so not matter what their views, they are also limited to an extremely small fraction.

The same goes for someone who has worked both union and nonunion.

None of us wants to see abuse, either by the employee or the employer. I did a little searching and came up with what I thought were a few examples, by the same company, of employer abuse. By the way, the employer is almost exclusively nonunion - if not entirely!

Workers Assail Night Lock-Ins By Wal-Mart - NYTimes.com

Wal-Mart Managers Locked Employees in Stores, Plaintiff Says - Bloomberg

I think that these examples show the positive side that unions can provide: putting the employee on near equal footing to the employer.

There are numerous occasions all across the country where companies can abuse employees, either in large ways or most often small ways. Most of the time employees do NOT have the resources to fight abuse, they are simply fired and cannot fight back or put up with such abuse until they find another job.

I believe that each case is unique. In some the union pushes for too much and management caves in too easily. In others the company abuses employees who have no real recourse but to suffer or leave.

Now some may say, "Well the employee shouldn't be on equal footing. The company is the one supplying the job and the company needs to make money OR everyone is out!" This is true, to a point.

Let's presume that I, Doug, start my own company. I take all the risk. I put up the seed money. I work 14 hours a day, 6 days a week. I grow my company from just me to 3,000 employees. It is my company, right? I can do what I want, right? After all, if it weren't for me starting the company 3,000 people wouldn't have a job, would they?

Let's think about it though... Did
    I personally do all the invoicing? NO. Did I personally make every widget? NO. Did I personally maintain the machines so they could function? NO. Did I personally answer every phone call into my company? NO.

In short, I provided the vision and beginning of the company - BUT it was the hard work of the thousands of employees who made it what it is today, not just me. Now I certainly don't think that I should be diminished due to the work of the employees, after all I did start the ball rolling. Heck, you could say I invented the ball to begin rolling in the first place. HOWEVER, you cannot also diminish the workers who helped grow the ball and bring the company into the greatness that it can be. The company would not exist without the employee who does great work making the company better than it was.

This then is the problem with many American companies - the perceived conflict between company and worker. Workers are not just assets to be used, they are the very dirt, fertilizer, and care that grows the company from seed to great tree! Without employees every company would be a one (1) man shop - forever!

Now I will share a story about how companies and employees should get along. Many years ago my cousin died in a car accident between Poe and Decatur. He was coming home late at night and was killed instantly. My cousin had been born on a farm, never attended college, and worked in a factory. He was a hard worker who had a wife and child. He wasn't very worldly. Most of his family was white, middle class. Most of his friends were white, middle class.

At his funeral in the cemetery I noticed four (4) or five (5) brand new shiny black Lexus's. My cousin knew people with Ford pick ups, not fancy foreign cars. After noticing the cars I noticed a group of about 14 Japanese men standing around in suits. Now I KNOW my cousin did not hang around with these gentlemen, so I inquired as to their presence from my uncle. "They are the management from your cousins company", he told me, "they shut down the factory for a day of mourning and came here to show their respects." The factory had over 100 employees.

I believe that when American companies and American workers can come to a mutual respect for each other instead of constantly fighting, we will have done away with the need for unions. Alas, such is not yet the day.

Regards,

Doug

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    OK, now that all of the union - nonunion fighting is over, let's get to my OP issue...

Should we be ok with this guy telling us that Southerners are less skilled than Northern Union members?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    OK, now that all of the union - nonunion fighting is over, let's get to my OP issue...

Should we be ok with this guy telling us that Southerners are less skilled than Northern Union members?

He's doing the same thing many others do even to us in the Midwest: painting them as dumb hicks so that their protests are seen as less intelligent and given less credence. After all, why bother going through facts and reasonable arguments and all that garbage when you can just point at your opponents and destroy their credibility with a few jokes about their double-wides?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Before my semi-retirement, I traveled the country except for the New England states, using temporary laborers to assist in erecting a 60'X75' mobile retail store. There were certain race locations that I always dreaded going to because the quality of the labor was never very good. Only one of these was in a southern state (near Atlanta). The ones I dreaded the most were Joliet, IL, Englishtown, NJ, and Sonoma, CA.
    Granted my experience is purely anecdotal and I did not stop in all of the southern states, but for the most part, the guys I worked with were hard working and intelligent enough to take instruction well, which made all of our jobs much easier.
    It is a slower, more deliberate culture in the South, but I would not in any way construe that to be dumb or lazy.

Top Bottom