• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    That is crazy, How can they bad mouth billy bob & jethro, saying the southern boys don't have skills:dunno: not to many people know how to make moonshine or cook road kill:D This ain't right, just cause they can't read & write don't mean they ain't got skill:laugh:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    This is straight out of Atlas Shrugged. The writer and workers are more concerned about looting Boeing then they are about the survival of the company they are looting.

I think the assumption is that if they pay less for labor, the workers will be less skilled. Not necessarily true. In a non-union system, higher pay would attract better people and allow the company to choose from a larger pool of workers. Theoretically, they would picked the more skilled. However, a union system essentially destroys that premise. If the dumbest person in the world gets a union card, they make the same as a competent worker. This system works great! Just ask the Soviet Union, oh wait....

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    This is straight out of Atlas Shrugged. The writer and workers are more concerned about looting Boeing then they are about the survival of the company they are looting.

I think the assumption is that if they pay less for labor, the workers will be less skilled. Not necessarily true. In a non-union system, higher pay would attract better people and allow the company to choose from a larger pool of workers. Theoretically, they would picked the more skilled. However, a union system essentially destroys that premise. If the dumbest person in the world gets a union card, they make the same as a competent worker. This system works great! Just ask the Soviet Union, oh wait....

The UNION make sure the UNION MEMBER get the rightful PAY & BENEFITS the hard working union member deserves:twocents: {BTW I' the UNION REP at my job};)

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The UNION make sure the UNION MEMBER get the rightful PAY & BENEFITS the hard working union member deserves:twocents: {BTW I' the UNION REP at my job};)

And who decides what the union member deserves? The union, right? And who tries to prevent another hardworking laborer from getting a job, if they don't believe in the union? The union, right? The job that the worker has was created by Boeing. If Boeing wants to give that job to someone else, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

People think they are entitled to a job. They are not. Their employer is offering them an opportunity to work at a company created by the employer. Any person on the street could go an invent a better product and start a company, but they don't, they just prefer to let someone else come up with the ideas, risk the employer's life's dedication to making their product. And then mooch off of it, complaining if they don't get their big screen TVs and free health care.

Nobody deserves a pay check. Money should be earned. In a free market, you will be paid what you are worth. Value for value. If you don't like the wages you get, go somewhere else, or start your own company. If a company can't find anyone willing to work for certain wages, the wages will go up.

Have you seen Detroit lately?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    And who decides what the union member deserves? The union, right? And who tries to prevent another hardworking laborer from getting a job, if they don't believe in the union? The union, right? The job that the worker has was created by Boeing. If Boeing wants to give that job to someone else, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

People think they are entitled to a job. They are not. Their employer is offering them an opportunity to work at a company created by the employer. Any person on the street could go an invent a better product and start a company, but they don't, they just prefer to let someone else come up with the ideas, risk the employer's life's dedication to making their product. And then mooch off of it, complaining if they don't get their big screen TVs and free health care.

Nobody deserves a pay check. Money should be earned. In a free market, you will be paid what you are worth. Value for value. If you don't like the wages you get, go somewhere else, or start your own company. If a company can't find anyone willing to work for certain wages, the wages will go up.

Have you seen Detroit lately?

In a UNION SHOP, you have to be a UNION member it's the L A W, even if you don't like the UNION you have to pay UNION DUES. The UNION protect it's members from getting hurt, abused & mistreated by MANAGEMENT;) It wouldn't be fair for the company to have non-union workers working next to UNION workers making less money & having less benefits, being the manager's boot licker:D

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009

The problem is, the worker that isn't so hard working gets protection from the union too -- as long as he pays his dues.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    In a UNION SHOP, you have to be a UNION member it's the L A W, even if you don't like the UNION you have to pay UNION DUES. The UNION protect it's members from getting hurt, abused & mistreated by MANAGEMENT;) It wouldn't be fair for the company to have non-union workers working next to UNION workers making less money & having less benefits, being the manager's boot licker:D

Yes, I can see how this benefits the non-union worker. And our society as a whole.

Really? Yeah, union uses non-union labor to picket Wal-Mart | Liberty Pundits Blog

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009

But who says Boeing can't open a non-union shop in South Carolina?

By the way, could you please point out the law that says a non-union guy can't work in a union shop? I think that is just up to the collective bargaining agreement for that company.

I worked for a union mechanical contactor in Dallas, and our electricians and service guys were non-union.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    The problem is, the worker that isn't so hard working gets protection from the union too -- as long as he pays his dues.

I make sure all the guys do equal work, I've had guys tell me I'm an older person, or I'm senior so I'm taking it easier. But once their start time & days off get changed, they'll start working like everybody else. I believe in FAIRNESS, So nobody talks :poop: I make sure I bust my ass as hard or harder than any other worker

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Now lets remember where unions came from and where they got started. Now put that in context with the times they were started in. There was a much greater need for something like a union back then, than there is now.

Lets take your logic and replace union with another word.....

In a MOB SHOP, you have to be a MOB member it's the L A W, even if you don't like the MOB you have to pay MOB DUES. The MOB protect it's members from getting hurt, abused & mistreated by MANAGEMENT;) It wouldn't be fair for the company to have non-MOB workers working next to MOB workers making less money & having less benefits, being the manager's boot licker:D

I work for a company with a Union (the largest one in the country) and I dont' pay Union dues, and expect no form of "Union Protection". Just don't agree with the entitlement mentality that goes along with a lot of it. :twocents:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I make sure all the guys do equal work, I've had guys tell me I'm an older person, or I'm senior so I'm taking it easier. But once their start time & days off get changed, they'll start working like everybody else. I believe in FAIRNESS, So nobody talks :poop: I make sure I bust my ass as hard or harder than any other worker

Seems like only guys in unions and those collecting government cheese think that the concept of "fairness" has any place in the business world.

The rest of us believe in supply and demand.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

Oh ppppppllllllleeeeaaaasssse! Tell us how Union strong arm tatics, forcing employers to payout unfunded liabilities, paying someone with no education to put bolt B into slot A $20 an hour, triple time pay on Sundays and Holidays when work slows to minimum levels is so Gooood for our countrys' economy. I'd really like to see how these things improve the product while lowering cost to the consumer.
    I used to work in Kokomo, I heard UAW members gripe moan and complain when they were CALLED BACK to work, saying they would be losing money.

True skilled labor unions like pipe fitters, electricians etc have their place, but
    for the most part, unions need to go the way of the dinosaur IMHO. At one time, Unions had their place, but no longer. They have become as bad as they claim the employers to be, if not worse

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    True skilled labor unions like pipe fitters, electricians etc have their place, but for the most part, unions need to go the way of the dinosaur IMHO.

AMEN!

Unskilled labor are nothing but training monkeys doing work that ANYONE can do. Still amazes me that hotel maids and so forth make up the SEIU. Doing work that anyone can do and hold companies hostage.

I'd fire all their asses and empty the unemployement office with people wanting to work.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    My father was in IBEW for quite a while. He has nothing good at all to say about unions. He basically says that they're lazy, and actively try to make a job take as long as possible. They cry if management tries to lift a finger to do anything. He also claims that the entire basis of unions is racism. Under government pressure they have a few minorities, but beyond that it's simply a white man's club. His opinion of union leadership is that they're corrupt, lying, stealing, dirtbags who are basically nothing more than mobsters.

As for the south...many people are incredibly ignorant and uneducated there. It's truly astounding. My mother is from Mississippi and I've been down there plenty. Not to say there aren't plenty of smart people, and even the uneducated ones (over 80% of the population, easily) aren't outright stupid. However, I can guarantee that on the whole the quality of labor in the south is absolutely lower than in the northern states I've been to. I haven't been to Seattle, but I imagine it's similar. While I'm sure Boeing would hire competent people and maintain quality, I don't think the fear of diminished quality is at all unfounded.

Top Bottom