• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I am wondering if anyone here is a member of The Southern IN. Rifle and pistol club near Borden IN.
    If you are could you either post here or PM me.

Thanks

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    I am a member. I don't go to the meetings often and haven't yet competed in any of their competitions. Someday I'll make it to one of the high powered rifle matches, but for now I just enjoy use of the 500 yard range. I doubt I could answer any questions you have, but I'll try.

Most of what I know about the club is just from going to the range which has been deserted all but one time I went (I've only been in the colder months). It's a great range, my only gripe is you have to drive through a small creek to get to it, so if there has been any recent rain, you can't get to it.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Was a member for years

I used to love to go that range. When I went it was usually empty, that is the way I like it. A beautiful place to be alone even if it weren't for the shooting. The creek crossing is a definite problem and why I let my membership lapse, I damage two of my vehicles crossing although they were both still driveable. I damaged the exhaust on my van and a portion of the front suspension on my Camry. I decided that I could not afford that crossing any longer. You may different results, I crossed that creek for years before anything went wrong.

Terry

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A buddy of mine totaled his pickup a couple of months ago trying to get across that creek. The low water crossing is a major PIA. The club will not likely ever build a bridge there. Complaints over many years, fall on deaf ears. On the bright side, they do have a lot of match shooting going on at the outdoor and indoor range, if you are in to competitive shooting.

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    There is an access road that hugs the railroad tracks, and you're allowed to use that only when there's a scheduled match and the creek is not passable. It's owned by the neighbor, but it'd certainly be cheaper to get full-time access to that than to build a bridge.

One thing I heard is that they plan to extend the range. One person said it was going to be to 1000 yards, the other told me 600.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Thanks MTC! I have made contact and hope good things come from it.

The low water crossing could be a bummer in the wet times of the year sounds like

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    There is an access road that hugs the railroad tracks, and you're allowed to use that only when there's a scheduled match and the creek is not passable. It's owned by the neighbor, but it'd certainly be cheaper to get full-time access to that than to build a bridge.

One thing I heard is that they plan to extend the range. One person said it was going to be to 1000 yards, the other told me 600.
    This would require us to shoot over the railroad tracks.
    It can be done, but no doubt issues would arise from it.

IMO, Borden is one of the nicest rifle ranges in the state that I'm familiar with.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

That has been attempted on many occasions. Apparently the bridge owner won't budge. He just doesn't want the traffic.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Thanks MTC! I have made contact and hope good things come from it.

The low water crossing could be a bummer in the wet times of the year sounds like

You're welcome. Wasn't sure if that info was of any use to you, but that's good to know. Yeah, that creek crossing could pose a problem for those without 4-wheel drive, although in good weather it is no problem for most standard vehicles.

Last edited:

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    I've made the crossing many times in my Honda Civic with no issues. But the last time I was there there were some large bumps in the road before the creek that ripped the splash guard loose. From now on I'll be taking a truck with more clearance.

Top Bottom