Source for used guns around Greenwood/Indy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I moved here from MI in 2006 and was used to large gunstores (even worked in one) with extensive used gun inventory but not down here.

I'm kind of the opposite. I'm used to small gun stores that sort of double as a neighborhood hang out. Sort of like a second barbershop. The selection may have been limited, but they churned inventory pretty quick and the prices were good.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys. I'll do some scouting around the places mentioned.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is a unique gun shop called 500 Guns I think just east of the speedway on 16th. It's a interesting shop I found when I was in Indy for a conference.

Guy and Joe run this shop and are personal friends of mine. I have purchased many pieces from them over the years and have always been treated more than fair. They deal mainly in used guns. Give them a try.

There is a pawn shop at West 10th st. and Tibbs ave. Ask for Al when you go to the gun counter. He is a fellow ingo member and will treat you right. Have purchased some very nice pieces from him as well.

Yes, prices have gone up along with everything else my friend.

Welcome to ingo. Stick around and get 50 quality posts and you can use the classifieds. Prices are in line with any other place you may shop.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Been there, another small store, they tried to super lowball me one time on a colt sp1 like I was an amateur and i've never been back.

They put me in a bad mood when trying to trade with them. Took me a while to go back in. The guy that pissed me off is no longer there so I will give them a bit and see how it goes.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    The stores already covered are all good choices. In Greenwood can also check Elmore's Firearms, who every so often get in some interesting used rifles.

I did get to Elmores. They were really friendly and had a big selection of new stuff, but were pretty light in the used department.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    The BEST deals are always buying from friends / acquaintance who need the money...

Start paying attention to who is saying what - you just might get lucky.
    -J-

Good advice, theres almost always a buddy somewhere or a friend of a friend that is looking to sell something. Might not be what you want, but usually is a good price. Or ask around at work if your work tolerates free speech as scary as guns, but thats a whole other topic.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    RandomName, I don't know how far south you are, but a friend told me that EZPawn at the corner of Washington and Lynhurst on the Westside of Indianapolis has a pretty decent selection of used guns. I haven't been in there because I prefer to help INGOers out first, but I would give that one a shot.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Good advice, theres almost always a buddy somewhere or a friend of a friend that is looking to sell something. Might not be what you want, but usually is a good price. Or ask around at work if your work tolerates free speech as scary as guns, but thats a whole other topic.

Most of my buddies, and several co-workers, could be on Hoarders: Firearms Edition. A Mini 14 and a S&W model 66 are about the only things currently for sale in my circle that I'm aware of. One's been trying to get me to cough up my Springfield 1911, but that ain't gonna happen.

I did poke around the classifieds here a bit, but I'm not to the post level where I can answer there. I did see a Ruger in 30-06, not exactly what I was looking for, but ammo is still reasonably priced to shoot. I've come across a few 30-30s as well, but still not much in the way of .308s. I guess people are hanging on to them.

Another question, why does everyone want to see a handgun permit when they are selling long guns? Just to make sure the buyer isn't a felon?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Exactly. Unlike the police or the gun shops, it is the best tool we have available for the job. It isn't required by law to buy or use a long gun, but many feel better if they have some evidence they aren't selling to a felon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Most of my buddies, and several co-workers, could be on Hoarders: Firearms Edition. A Mini 14 and a S&W model 66 are about the only things currently for sale in my circle that I'm aware of. One's been trying to get me to cough up my Springfield 1911, but that ain't gonna happen.

I did poke around the classifieds here a bit, but I'm not to the post level where I can answer there. I did see a Ruger in 30-06, not exactly what I was looking for, but ammo is still reasonably priced to shoot. I've come across a few 30-30s as well, but still not much in the way of .308s. I guess people are hanging on to them.

Another question, why does everyone want to see a handgun permit when they are selling long guns? Just to make sure the buyer isn't a felon?

We as a community have to insure that the right people are getting a gun from us. Paper trails, wrong doers and so on. I understand the practice.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend

Hoarders: Firearm Edition sounds awesome. I'd watch that.

The LTCH is a quick/easy way for two strangers to understand that at least each of you has at SOME point in time been completely cleared by the state police to be free of felonies. I mean I suppose you could have a LTCH that is 10 years old and had since been sent to prision and released already. But this little pink slip at least shows that at one point in time you were a "proper person" and nobody could argue otherwise since the seller has probably purchased the gun himself on a 4473 and if the gun was sold to an improper person he can at least claim he went out of his way to ensure his gun was sold/transfered to a proper person. Plus folks that have the LTCH can be assumed they dont have felonies to hide. I was selling a gun and I spoke with the individual that told me that he "could not pass a back ground check" and that he had NO DL. Its pretty safe to assume this individual was not a "proper person" so I refused to sell him the gun. It was a handgun but I wouldnt even sell him a long gun if he cant produce something as simple as a IN DL. I personally like to know or at least have zero doubt in my mind that I sold a firearm to a person that shouldnt have possessed one. LTCH is a basic standard of which most folks can accomplish this. Another way might be a bill of sale, or a transfer thru a dealer, but I dont like paying extra $25 fees every time a firearm changes hands.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Been there, another small store, they tried to super lowball me one time on a colt sp1 like I was an amateur and i've never been back.

What did they offer? What did you expect to get?

They put me in a bad mood when trying to trade with them. Took me a while to go back in. The guy that pissed me off is no longer there so I will give them a bit and see how it goes.

They only have 2 employees + Bryce now. Jimmy and John are both good guys.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What did they offer? What did you expect to get?

They only have 2 employees + Bryce now. Jimmy and John are both good guys.

I know the 2 who are there now. Not bad fellas. I just had a bad moment with a guy (heavy set dark hair) who is no longer there with a trade. He got a bit left of center and I went else where (Bobs) and got a smoking good deal on the same gun (Range officer) with a fair trade value on my gun. He should have dealt with me and I would have laid down the cash but he cracked wise and lost a sale and several after that as i did not even give them a chance. I was willing to buy the gun but his attitude and trade offer sent me out the door. Bob gave me a fair deal and i took it. Just my personal experience with those guy's. One day it is fair weather, the next it is stormy and high seas. I am not alone in this observation.

I will no longer buy guns from them due to this. I have purchased a knife and some ammo but I am done dealing with them on firearms. Sad as i have purchased quit a few in that store.

Top Bottom