• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I asked my father in law's friend if he had any luck deer hunting yet. He said that he had taken a couple of "sound shots", but didn't get one yet. I thought he was joking, and asked "what exactly is a sound shot?". He explained that you fired into the woods in the direction of sounds and hope you hit something. The scary thing is that he was SERIOUS! Just another reason I will NEVER hunt on public land. Has anyone else ever heard of a "sound shot"?

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Yes, I have heard of "sound shots" in the past. Horrible idea, and I was afraid that was what you meant in your thread title.

As One Shot One Kill said, do what you can to correct him.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Take his gun away. Ask him if the sounds he hears is a person and he kills someone, how's he going feel? if you can't identify your target to least know what F*%$ing animal it is, you have no business owning a gun, much less actually be out hunting with it.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    My friends always say "sound shot" but they mean it was a good shot and thats what i hoped this title meant. I would probably punch that guy for being so stupid then take his gun away.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Taking "sound shots" is what you tell people you do when you don't want them hunting around you. Claiming to take "sound shots" makes other hunters scared to be around you so they go hunt somewhere else. Sounds like your father-in-law's friend wants you to stay away from his hunting grounds. Or he was just yanking your chain.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    69   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I have been shot at by these type of people. It won't be something he will talk about when he takes someones father, son, or wife away from them.

Hunting is no joke. And clowns like this have no business in the woods, or owning any type of weapon in general.

Watch out if you ever have to knock on his door, he might have a policy of opening fire when he hears the door bell.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Haven't heard that term in years.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a guy who took a 12 ga. slug to the chest awhile back from somebody taking a "sound shot".

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Wow - Never heard it. Sounds like a redneck term.

If someone took a "Sound Shot" in my direction, I'd give them an "Echo" they'll never forget.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    couple of years ago a groupe of coyote hunters in nebraska would shoot into small patches of woods to run the coyotes out. one of the other hunters was sitting in his truck on the other side of the woods and took a 22-250 in the left temple. these guys must have been on thier heads at birth

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    WTH ? Where does this nut job hunt at ? I sure don't want to be nowhere around him.... Geeezzz How old is he ? Some people as said before need to be punched in the head to try to straight'n his thinking up... WOW !!! We should all go to where he hunts and you can tell him to try rattleing just after day break and we can all take some sound shots his way and if were lucky maybe one of us will hit him and knowbody will know what one it was cause we all shot at the same time... ? Some guys are just plain nuts ....

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I have not heard that since the early 80's. It actually used to be a fairly common saying among illiterate hill-jack bubba's who posessed no hunting skill but wanted to impress their equally illiterate friends that they were actually having some hunting success. It was most often heard when you were in the local gas station/grocery store/post office combination in some little town getting a pop at 9:00 AM when you should have been in the woods. Bubba would be there after spending his 30 minutes out that morning speaking with Ed Earl. "See any? Nope, but had a couple sound shots. Yep, me to. Cooter killed a 300 lb button buck last week, I seen it" that was how the conversation generally went.

Our general reply as we walked out the door after overhearing the conversation was " You two are F%*&ing idiots. I hope one of you shoots the other one and strengthens the gene pool in this area".

Dirty Steve

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    My ex FIL told me a story of the same thing happening back in the late 80's. He hung up his bow and never hunted again. The guy telling the story may have been a redneck, but was definitely a citified redneck. Had Marion County plates, and was hunting public land in Brown County. Hunting public land in Brown County is the reason I hadn't hunted in 15 years. Got a nice little patch of private ground in Monroe County I can hunt now. Took a small 5 pointer there this year.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom