• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    $500 a year, but unless you are an active dealer I think they would come knocking if you had a bunch of posties.

Plus getting a demo letter for cheap full auto in Marion County is about as easy as finding a $20 full auto AK.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    OH MY... well... maybe when i make really good money.... and can save up several thousand dollars worth of AK ammo... it MIGHT be worth one year... just to play.

if i drop the SOT, can i just change the parts back to semi?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    If you only do it one year to play and show no to little "business" dealings you open yourself up for a tax evasion case. It has already been done.

As for switiching it back to semi-auto, that is a no no as far as the receiver is concerned. Once a machine gun always a machine gun. You could cut the receiver per ATF regs and use the other "parts kit" parts to build a semi-auto on a semi receiver.

HTH

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    hmmm... ok then, i just saw curaheeguns edited his post.... i didnt realize it would be so hard... would it matter if i live in cumberland and i almost garentee the local chief would sign off on it for me as i do some work for them.... i guess its not worth my time to try and dive into full auto for a year then.... thought being an FFL had its perks... in reality all it has is headaches.

ETA: i have no interest in dealing class 3 anything... just wanted to play with a machinegun for a year.... thanks for helping me out guys.. time to let this thread die and never think about this agian.... i actually have a headache thinking about all the hoops i would have to jump through on this one.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    If you only do it one year to play and show no to little "business" dealings you open yourself up for a tax evasion case. It has already been done.

Tax evasion case? I am not sure I am following the reasoning, legal issues here. If an FFl pays the SOT tax why is it tax evasion?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Tax evasion case? I am not sure I am following the reasoning, legal issues here. If an FFl pays the SOT tax why is it tax evasion?

Because dealers transfer Class III guns to the SOT tax free from other dealers and manufacturers. Thus, saving the $200 tax per weapon because they are for resale, not for personal use.

If you were doing this for soley for personal use and you buy say 5 weapons then you have evaded paying the government $1000 in taxes.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Because dealers transfer Class III guns to the SOT tax free from other dealers and manufacturers. Thus, saving the $200 tax per weapon because they are for resale, not for personal use.

If you were doing this for soley for personal use and you buy say 5 weapons then you have evaded paying the government $1000 in taxes.
    This here^^^

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008

Thanks got uou. I was thinking the other way about it :rolleyes:.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

well you already gave them 500, so wouldnt it be 500 dollars that you owe?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County

Not sure what you mean. The $500 is a fee giving you permission to deal in NFA just like the $200 fee you paid to give you permission to deal with title I guns with a normal FFL.

The $200 is a tax on the transfer of a NFA item.

When you buy a NFA item as an individual you pay the $200 every time that weapon transfers. As a SOT you do not pay that tax. Therefore if you are transfering items to your SOT for personal use you are getting around paying that $200 tax per item.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008

Well I think curaheeguns got to the bottom of the tax evasion. The FFL and I guess the Special Occupation Tax just are business licenses and not intented for personal use. Hence when you use them for your personal use ATF can come after you. Let's say you go 5 NFA items that year and you'd own the government $1000 but only paid $500 for the SOT, now you did evade taxes. Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom