• ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    another vote for the Zebco 33.

All of four of mine got their start with them, because that's what I started with.

They moved on to spinning reels as they got a little older but the spincast is an easy way to get them started.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If I was you and I was talking to me, I would take my advice.

trigger spin reel NOT ultralight rod because cheap ultralight can't set hooks or do squat. There are plenty of cheap rods are shorter but not a buggy whip either. I started my daughter at the same age with a UL trigger spin reel and a medium light rod. No knocik on spin cast reels, I just found a UL trigger spin easy for small hands, naturally easy to cast and a bit more reliable. Also sets the kid up to easily graduate to a spinning reel.

i also assume they still make trigger spin reels? I keep a couple around for novice fisher persons

Last edited:

95YJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    East Of Indy
    I am the Proud owner of a Spiderman, SpongeBob, Princess and Barbie Combos...Everytime It would be time to purchase one for a child, I always would hope the quality would be better than the last...Not so Much!!! All junk, don't want to reel in without a lil tension on the line. Stay away from them...I finally got smart and would buy Ugly Stick combos to replace the character poles...Kids seem happier. They actually work like they should. If they absolutely have to have the character stuff to get into fishing, Grab a character tackle box for the lil ones.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    definitely not a cartoon set. those short rods make it almost impossible for a kid to get any sort of hookset. nothing more frustrating than watching a kid struggle with one of those crap sets.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I know old thread but.. My first was a zebco 33 but i always begged for the cool cartoon ones Then i got a spinning reel for christmas and threw away the crappy cartoon ones i was like 5 or 6 then.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Zebco 33 classic will work great for a kid, its just a push button and cast... very easy to learn with... Slip bobber and hook and sinkers are the only way to learn... Then when they get older move on to a open face spinning outfit to the next step... I learned with a spinning outfit left handed reel and to this day my baitcasters are left handed and Im right handed but it just don't feel right to me to set the hook with my left hand, I cast right handed and reel left handed and set the hook with my right hand... But its hard to find left handed baitcasters most of the time I have to order from bass pro... Its weard my buddys cast right handed and switch the pole to there left hand and reel right handed and that don't even make scence to me ? Why switch hands, just odd to me...? Just my 2 cents..

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would either recommend a 9ft 5wt fly rod(kids can throw them as easily as adults(light weight) and its super easy when compared to teaching spincasting for a first timer) or 5'6 st.criox with a stradic reel as it would last them a lifetime.

Honesty I would go with the 33 as they are bomb proof and not bad reels combined with a 5'6 ulgy stick in L to UL unless you wanted to do fly casting yourself as well.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I starter on a 1950's or 60's translucent green fiberglass rod and Zebco something combo that my grandfather gave me in 1988, which I lost it when in moment's inattention, a fish dragged it in. a

A month later a friend hooked it and reeled it in. The cork handle was gone, but a shot of WD-40, duct tape wrap for a handle, and it was back in operation. I still have it somewhere in the garage.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Walmart has abu garcia hank partners combo on sale for 50$. My buddy got one and its a hell of a deal for 50. I am not sure how well it would work out for a 4 year old tho

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    first one. cant go wrong with the zebco 33. been around for ever and can handle those big fish that the first timer always seem to catch. lol

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My daughter caught a lot of fish with her Snoopy pole.

It really depends on the age of the kid and how into fishing they are. The cheaper the rig, the less likely you are to get upset if they drag it in the mud or something. My kids both had the cheap ones first, then I got them a better setup when they really started fishing.

Top Bottom