• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Headed to lunch today to see them air lifting ac units onto the roof of the new meijer. It was pretty cool to watch. I can't believe how fast it went.

[video=youtube_share;VSh6QSbhorE]http://youtu.be/VSh6QSbhorE[/video]

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It looks like the same helicopter they used here at one of the schools several years ago. It was really cool to watch.

To imbed video just click on the film strip looking button. Second button from the end on the left. Paste your URL there and click "OK"

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    That is my project. We are doing the testing out there but I was at another job and couldn't make it by to watch this. Thanks for the video. The guys in the office will want to see it for sure!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got to watch that up here several years ago. I sat for quite awhile as I found it pretty interesting.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    So is it cheaper for a chopper lift then a crane? Faster?

I can say with 100% certainty, that it is faster. That whole video is like 53 seconds. In that time, the ac unit is hooked up, lifted, set down, and unhooked. It is probably cheaper in the long run since it probably takes half a day or more to bring a crane in (if you can get it into where you need it, set it up, hook it up, lift, set, and unhook, move, and repeat. This helicopter literally placed 3 or 4 of those units onto the roof in under 5 minutes. That is potentially 4-6 hours of time where your guys aren't standing around waiting for the crane to do its job. This chopper flies in, lifts stuff, and leaves. They could do it while.your crew is at lunch. It was unbelievable.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    The crane that was on site to set the pre-cast walls was taken down last week. There is no longer a crane on site that could do that. And like HS said, it would take too long to set it up and move, etc. There was the stipulation that no one was allowed to work in the building while they were flying those in on the roof, though.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The crane that was on site to set the pre-cast walls was taken down last week. There is no longer a crane on site that could do that. And like HS said, it would take too long to set it up and move, etc. There was the stipulation that no one was allowed to work in the building while they were flying those in on the roof, though.

I've had HVAC units set by helicopter on 9 stores I was the superintendent on.
    The biggest issue is the crane can not reach the center of the building.
    The cost to have a helicopter come in (Midwest out of Chicago), (Carson out of Ohio), or (St Louis out of St Louis) is typically about $6,000 to set 15-22 units.
    They come in, land, unload all fuel cans, make sure the building is clear, start their lifts, land again to load up and leave. Pretty awesome to watch. Whole thing takes 45-60 minutes.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Fastest, best pilot I ever seen... check him out!

[video=youtube;08K_aEajzNA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08K_aEajzNA[/video]

And from inside the cabin if ya don't get queasy....

[video=youtube;SPO9pVwoxVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPO9pVwoxVg[/video]

Color me as impressed. That is awesome skills there.

Top Bottom