• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This, please. If it turns out the the contact info is legit, don't punish them more than is necessary.

I backed into a car (black car, dark of night, only two lights at opposite end of parking lot, and it was hidden behind my great big truck; I really should sue Subway for inadequate lighting in their parking lot) and punched a hole in the bumper with the hitch/ball. ***** demanded a police report, which triggered the proof of insurance requirement, which alerted the insurance company to the incident. I didn't go through insurance since the quote was only about $100 more than the deductible. I'm not upset I'm out the money--I did want to make it right, just that insurance now has one more pissant thing on my record. The only one that is my/our fault, but with so many claims in recent years, we'll have to lube up well when the rates increase hit because switching will probably be impossible.

****ty part is that I could have left without taking responsibility and she'd have been stuck with it. Proof no good deed goes unpunished.

She's a ***** for wanting to stay legal and do the right thing for her and get a police report?

Guess I'm a ***** too. Every accident I've been in, I have always gotten a police report.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    She's a ***** for wanting to stay legal and do the right thing for her and get a police report?

Guess I'm a ***** too. Every accident I've been in, I have always gotten a police report.

:+1: It's a cya thing to me. I am not a mechanic, it may be a scratch on the outside but who knows if it messed something else up.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

You should. That post is a textbook example of why you run these encounters through the proper channels. It will ensure you don't get or position yourself to get, burnt.

Nim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    Falls City Area / Clark County
    If you know any auto body friends, get an estimate, 2 estimates if you can.

Call the number. Get their insurance info.

If they have high deductible, they will be paying through the nose anyway so you may get them to give you cash + a nominal fee for the inconvenience. Maybe even get them to rent you a car for the duration of the repair.

File claim through their insurance. The note alone is admitting fault.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm failing to understand people in the thread referencing a deductible for a liability payout.

I've never had, or ever heard of insurance with a deductible on the liability portion.

The insurance pays the other party 100% of the claim if it's your fault. It wouldn't make sense to do it any other way.

Insurance company - "Yes our client is at fault and caused $3000 of damage to your vehicle. We're cutting you a check for $2500 since he has a $500 deductible. I'm sure he'll pay you the $500 he owes you as soon as possible." :n00b: Right.
    The deductible is to get *our* vehicle fixed under our full coverage. There is no deductible for the damage done to the other vehicle [my mom's]. We have a $0 comprehensive policy bout our collision is $250.

I do have State Farm.

acc1.jpg

acc2.jpg

acc3.jpg

After looking again, it may not be as much damage as I thought but I'd rather estimate high and be surprised than the other way around.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The deductible is to get *our* vehicle fixed under our full coverage. There is no deductible for the damage done to the other vehicle [my mom's]. We have a $0 comprehensive policy bout our collision is $250.

I do have State Farm.

Then you're getting screwed. I also have State Farm and if you aren't at fault, they're supposed to pay the full cost and then they go after his insurance company (or him, if he's uninsured) for the cost (including your deductible). Some numbskull backed full speed into my car a couple of years ago and I didn't pay a dime. Even the rental was paid for.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Then you're getting screwed. I also have State Farm and if you aren't at fault, they're supposed to pay the full cost and then they go after his insurance company (or him, if he's uninsured) for the cost (including your deductible).
    My wife that shares our auto policy with me at State Farm backed into my mom's car. My wife is at fault [no way around that, she hit a parked car].

That said - my mom is unemployed and lives on a fixed income so I wouldn't try to push it onto her either way - if it came down to it I'd just pay for the damages out of pocket [if it were mom's fault].

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My wife that shares our auto policy with me at State Farm backed into my mom's car. My wife is at fault [no way around that, she hit a parked car].

Oh, yeah, you said that and I missed it. Well...you still got screwed. :):

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Oh, yeah, you said that and I missed it. Well...you still got screwed. :):
    You ain't kidding.

"I clipped mom's car." I was like "Ok, how bad is the damage?" [was in the shower.]. She said, "It's not good." When I got out I about crapped a brick. I thought maybe she was slipping by and scraped it [i.e. minor paint damage, maybe a small dent]. I did not expect to see damage similar to what backing into another car at 35mph would be...

Needless to say she had to be hauling on her way out of the driveway. Had she gone any faster she'd likely have driven up on the hood.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Reminds me of time a found a dent in my front fender. Found the note and it read:
    "Ran in to your car. There are some people who witnessed it so I'm writing this note so they think I'm leaving you my name and insurance information."

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I saw someone in one of the IUPUI parking garages while I was waiting for next class to start, open their SUV door really fast and smacked it right into a sedan parked next to them. They did a 360 degree turn, but saw nobody. Looked at the damage, and left. I made sure to get the license plate number of their SUV, and they did have an IUPUI parking pass. So I walked over, and taped a note on the guys door telling him that they were IUPUI students and what happened. Told them to contact IUPD with the plate number.

You can do cash, but I wouldn't without getting the car looked at. I have one accident on my record, and it was in a parking lot, my fault. My damage only appeared to be a scratched up front bumper cover ( while hers was a lot of metal damage to her door and fender ). I wasn't about to have my vehicle looked at, and pay my deductible so I told USAA to not worry about my damages. Well, when I go to check my oil, my hood wont close, and I see it is misaligned slightly. I was able to fix it by loosening a few bolts and manhandling it, and now it will close again.

The point is, you might not see damage, but it may be more damage than you think!

Oh yea, and I am paying for accident forgiveness, so it probably wont raise the rates. Although the guy couldn't say for sure because it wont count until the next adjustment/review thingy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not to get TOO OT, but if you have less than a $500 deductable, you are wasting your $$. Dont believe me? ask your agent how much your rates drop when you go from $250 to $500.(experts say you shouldnt file a claim less than $500 anyway... it will jack your rates) Now take that difference and multiply by how many years since your last accident? I bet its MANY times more than $500.

Oh, and if an accident happens in a parking lot, In Indiana its automatically a no fault accident. (even if you are driving against the lines and T-bone somebody who is following the "rules" of the paint on the pavement. Its still nobody's fault as far as the cops are concerned*.)

*sobriety notwithstanding

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As far as getting a pile of $20s...

That would be to cover the estimate agreed upon - after getting estimates.

She DID leave a note, and I'll be calling her at some point this AM. My wife and I both forgot about it until too late in the evening last night.

-J-

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And to +1 on taking care of it privately if its a minor scrape. We had a similar occurrance with our van. We got an estimate, told the lady how much it was going to be and she wrote us a check for it. ($750ish)

No need to put something like that against her insurance... long term she would have paid more than the $250 above her deductible if her rates would have jumped.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And to +1 on taking care of it privately if its a minor scrape. We had a similar occurrance with our van. We got an estimate, told the lady how much it was going to be and she wrote us a check for it. ($750ish)

No need to put something like that against her insurance... long term she would have paid more than the $250 above her deductible if her rates would have jumped.

What / however this is resolved, I won't be taking a personal check!

No need to inherit the risk of it being a bad check, or it being stopped later. Thought about allowing her to pay for the repairs via a CC at the body shop - but then she could hose the body shop a few days later by telling her CC company that it was a fraudulent charge.

CASH! :D

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    What / however this is resolved, I won't be taking a personal check!

No need to inherit the risk of it being a bad check, or it being stopped later. Thought about allowing her to pay for the repairs via a CC at the body shop - but then she could hose the body shop a few days later by telling her CC company that it was a fraudulent charge.

CASH! :D
    They would be hard pressed to fight such a charge via CC with their signature on it. That said - you would be relying upon them to pay for it [so you could pick said vehicle up] and if they lied/backed out you'd be stuck paying it and going to court or filing a claim.

If you were going to have them pay you, I'd have them pay you first [or the shop] before any work is done and your vehicle is in limbo.

I would also get something in writing stating that if unexpected or unforeseen issues [such as it costing more than the estimate to fix] that a payment would be required to cover the difference.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    They would be hard pressed to fight such a charge via CC with their signature on it. That said - you would be relying upon them to pay for it [so you could pick said vehicle up] and if they lied/backed out you'd be stuck paying it and going to court or filing a claim.

If you were going to have them pay you, I'd have them pay you first [or the shop] before any work is done and your vehicle is in limbo.

I would also get something in writing stating that if unexpected or unforeseen issues [such as it costing more than the estimate to fix] that a payment would be required to cover the difference.

Thanks for these tips!

I talked with her just a few minutes ago. She sounds like a harried young mother. She told me that she's already spoken with her insurance agent. he advised her to have us get an estimate or two (we'll probably get three) and THEN see about the best way to do this: cash or file a claim through their insurance.

She/they want to do the right thing. Refreshing in today's world, unfortunately.

-J-

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It is very nice that she's handling this the way it should be handled... There are far too many people these days that would not.

Even though it is her fault, I hope this doesn't burden her too much [i.e. good insurance, etc.].

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Wife and I were leaving the zoo a few weeks ago as I watched this mini van scrape the entire left hand side of another car as it tried to pull into the adjacent open spot. The driver pulled in and then had second thoughts and backed out and parked in a spot across the aisle way. The mom, husband and two kids got out and looked at the front right side of their van and then just walked in. No note. No nothing.

I walked over and took down their tag, vehicle description, etc... and briefly explained the events on a sheet of paper along with my contact info and left it on the car that was hit.

Later that afternoon the owner of that car called and was very appreciative.

I just can't believe someone would do that and not leave a note and accept the financial responsibility for getting it repaired.

Disgusting...

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If it's a minor scrape with a note, I'll do what I can to repair it properly without costing a ridiculous sum. My brother had someone scrape his mirror down to the primer and leave a note. Because they left a note he simply got a mirror from e-bay for $60 and asked the guy for $60. Mirror was already the proper paint color so the job was done. A collision with no resulting visible damage would prompt me to report it as you never know what happened under the bumper cover. A scrape in a parking lot doesn't usually have that risk though.

Top Bottom