• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Scratched the rear bumper (driver's side) pretty good. More than a buffing will cure.

Wife says they left a note with a name/number. Good on them for that, I suppose.

I've not handled anything like this - what to do now? Contact them and talk to them first?

Get a handful of estimates, then contact them?

Can't imagine that it's worth going through our insurance...

Ask them for enough $20 bills to cover the repair and be done with it? :dunno:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Settle for cash if you can. They were honest enough to leave their info and everyone who pays car insurance knows what a pain it can be when dumb stuff happens.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Scratched the rear bumper (driver's side) pretty good. More than a buffing will cure.

Wife says they left a note with a name/number. Good on them for that, I suppose.

I've not handled anything like this - what to do now? Contact them and talk to them first?

Get a handful of estimates, then contact them?

Can't imagine that it's worth going through our insurance...

Ask them for enough $20 bills to cover the repair and be done with it? :dunno:

Get with AllenM or another shop and see how much it will cost to repair. If they have a $500 deductible and it costs $700, they may prefer giving you the cash. If not, I would make sure you get their insurance information and submit it to them.

Oh yeah, if it's a a regular van, it may not cost that much, but if it's a tactical mini van, then you are probably looking at some big dollars, especially for the duracoat.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Van was off when it was hit. After it came on, the scratch was still there.

Will seek out a 50lb bag of uncoiled rice and see if I can fit the van in there.

It IS a Korean van, perhaps it will enjoy the rice?

(And before anyone makes any kind of accusatory racist and bigoted comments at my above comments - just know that, in fact, Korean cuisine is indeed heavily rice-based. That's the basis for my comment. Nothing more)

-J-

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Have you called the number yet to see if it is the actual person that hit you and if the number is real? Maybe someone saw them hit it so they wrote some information down that is false.

I would make contact first and see if everything is good with the info. Then I would get an estimate and let them pay you. But be aware that many times there can be hidden damage that does not show until the take it apart. I know it's minor looking damage but you never know and you don't want to be stuck with it.

If the note is good then they have already admitted fault.

You will be surprised what a scratch can cost. Good luck.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Settle for cash if you can. They were honest enough to leave their info and everyone who pays car insurance knows what a pain it can be when dumb stuff happens.

This, please. If it turns out the the contact info is legit, don't punish them more than is necessary.

I backed into a car (black car, dark of night, only two lights at opposite end of parking lot, and it was hidden behind my great big truck; I really should sue Subway for inadequate lighting in their parking lot) and punched a hole in the bumper with the hitch/ball. ***** demanded a police report, which triggered the proof of insurance requirement, which alerted the insurance company to the incident. I didn't go through insurance since the quote was only about $100 more than the deductible. I'm not upset I'm out the money--I did want to make it right, just that insurance now has one more pissant thing on my record. The only one that is my/our fault, but with so many claims in recent years, we'll have to lube up well when the rates increase hit because switching will probably be impossible.

****ty part is that I could have left without taking responsibility and she'd have been stuck with it. Proof no good deed goes unpunished.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Give them a call, and ask if they want to do cash or go through insurance. (been there, done that)

Right now, I'm dealing with the same situation, but NO note.:xmad:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It could be worse... Your wife could have backed into your mom's car and done $5,000 in damage combined between the two vehicles that your insurance is going to pay for...

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    sorry to hear that
    I've been in a couple of accidents and both were not my fault. My rates did not go up a penny because of them. One was a total, the other was about 6k in damages.

I'm sure both wish they had insurance, I'd hate to see what State Farm did to the guy that totaled my old BMW.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I'm failing to understand people in the thread referencing a deductible for a liability payout.

I've never had, or ever heard of insurance with a deductible on the liability portion.

The insurance pays the other party 100% of the claim if it's your fault. It wouldn't make sense to do it any other way.

Insurance company - "Yes our client is at fault and caused $3000 of damage to your vehicle. We're cutting you a check for $2500 since he has a $500 deductible. I'm sure he'll pay you the $500 he owes you as soon as possible." :n00b: Right.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm failing to understand people in the thread referencing a deductible for a liability payout.

I've never had, or ever heard of insurance with a deductible on the liability portion.

The insurance pays the other party 100% of the claim if it's your fault. It wouldn't make sense to do it any other way.

Insurance company - "Yes our client is at fault and caused $3000 of damage to your vehicle. We're cutting you a check for $2500 since he has a $500 deductible. I'm sure he'll pay you the $500 he owes you as soon as possible." :n00b: Right.

good point...state farm does that, but that's what makes that insurance a bit more expensive

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

You are right. I've never been in an accident that was my fault. Thanks for the correction.

Top Bottom