• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I think I'll sign up for the National Matches at Camp Perry this Summer. With my admission fee I'll get 40 rounds of '06 for the Garand and another 40 for the military bolt match. I'll shoot 30 in each match and keep the extra 10 each time. I'll have 20 rounds to bring back home and hoard. Suuuweeeeet!!!

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    Great info ... thanks

Almost there...

Anyways this has been circulating the web like crazy, I have seen no sources linked to this data and to me sounds like all hearsay. The demand is already starting to slow down while manufacturing is increasing. It will level out soon enough.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Don't know what to make of this. I pretty much give it a year before things get better. Of course the occasional deal will pop up here and there.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Status of gun industry

AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/ of 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line.

OK....
    What about the foreign ammo suppliers.
    Wolf, Barnaul, Aguila, S&B, Etc???

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I dont know what to believe any more! The many gun stores Ive been at lately have plenty of hand guns, plenty of ammo for these guns. The only thing they dont have are AR 15 type rifles (but one store has 4 and plenty of 30 round magazines for them, not sure of the ammo). The only thing everyone is out of it seems is spp. and powders are getting low. I dont know, I go into these places, see walls of rifles, glass cases full of hand guns, shelves of ammo, then I read this. Some things like 22lr (in bulk) are hard to find, why? who knows. I cant imagine that many people bought a 22 caliber weapon to warrant this big of a shortage with this round. Luckily I stocked up the first week of Dec. You could say they are causing their own shortage to jack up prices but I just bought 1k rounds the other day for the same price it was in summer. I was at a local gun shop yesterday and he said the ammo is starting to get harder to find especially for the same price, he had 3k rounds of 22lr he bought at a show they were at but it was 13.00 more per box. But even he said things are starting to calm down a tiny bit. I just picked a bad time to start reloading....which BTW going on week 5 of no new Dillon! Its such a trickle down effect. Good luck everyone :twocents:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    One thing I noticed and find odd is Glock isn't listed? With how reputable they are I figured they might have an update out. Maybe because they are not US? Do you think the lead time and availability for Glock with change to reflect the current market?

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    One thing I noticed and find odd is Glock isn't listed? With how reputable they are I figured they might have an update out. Maybe because they are not US? Do you think the lead time and availability for Glock with change to reflect the current market?

IMO, I dont understand how companies like Ruger and FnH can only be running at 50 and 75%

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Magpul behind "ONE MILLION P MAGS"???!!! C'mon! Don't we remember that last summer, the big announcement was that Uncle Sam didn't approve of P Mags anymore...the things were at my LGS for $12 a piece...most people who could hoard them did and others probably wouldn't mind having extras.

So, the Armed Forces can't/won't buy them, and by the time the AWB gets shot down in legislation, we should see these things saturating the market again and they will probably be selling ARs with "10 FREE P MAGS".

I'm calling BS on that article. Just like I'm calling BS on all the manufacturers who, for some reason, think that we're stupid enough to believe that since there are higher demands, that they are paying MORE for their quantities of materials?!!! Business 101 teaches us that the more you buy, the less you pay. Its called quantity pricing/quantity discounts. Manufacturers are in a perfect position to demand better pricing from their vendors these days, because there are others in line who would kill to supply them at todays demands.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Got on one of my distributor's sites this a.m. looking for any 9mm's in stock. An H&K P2000 came up. Hmmm. I wondered if they had it in 40 S&W...no. By the time I went back to order the 9mm, it was gone. Transactions are faster than they have ever been. If you snooze, you lose.

The only good news was the P2000 was priced at the regular rate, not some jacked up price.

dennymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    La Grange, KY
    ammo shortage

Gentlemen, the poster that wants to register for the Garand and other CMP matches to get the ammo, that is not the case any more. The CMP is NOT issuing ammo for their matches. You must bring your own. The best time to start reloading was 40 years ago. The next best time is NOW. DennyMac

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I spoke with a Winchester wholesaler, said he was 6+ months on everything and some calibers did not have another production run set yet. It's going to be painful, and long.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Most winchesters guns are made in Japan but I do think they have a N. Caralina plant now that makes bolt guns. Winchester Olin Ammo was in IL next door but was having some Union issues. Ruger running at 50-75% might have to do with some parts issues and QC problems They always seem to have issues when introducing new lines. The TD 10-22 have some parts that did not make it to the hardening stage before being put out the door.

Glock is foriegn as is sig and Taraus, so they are not listed. I would like to see what some of the Importers are doing with both guns and ammo. (Cranking them out I am sure.) DPMS/Bushmaster are making the rem AR's, I think DPMS might be gone anyway, Are the Importers making orders or waiting. I bet they are making orders. I also have seen many forigen companies making plants in the USA to assemble stuff. FNX for one.

I would say the outlook given is most likely rather accurate.

What about KEL-tec and Kimber in the US market. Keltec seems to take their sweet ass time making anything and KIMBER had suffered some issues when they went mainstream makers on the 1911 line up. Kimbers quality quickly improved. KEl-tec I can't really tell as they can't make enough for me to see any.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Care to elaborate?

Do you know something we don't?

DPMS isn't going anywhere, AFAIK. We are getting their rifles in on a quasi-regular basis, and the President of Freedom Group stated at an industry conference last month that they recently acquired LAR Manufacturin in order to help boost the capacity of both DPMS and Bushmaster.

FWIW.

Yukon1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I agree with the concern about quality control in firearms as well as ammunition. I hope in the their haste to meet demand quality doesn't suffer..

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    DPMS isn't going anywhere, AFAIK. We are getting their rifles in on a quasi-regular basis, and the President of Freedom Group stated at an industry conference last month that they recently acquired LAR Manufacturin in order to help boost the capacity of both DPMS and Bushmaster.

FWIW.

I do respect Shooter521 very much so I will take it that all is well in DPMS land.

BUT::::

I know that the Three headed dog of Ceribus (Er freedom group) talks that Speer, CCI, Marlin, remington. DPMS, Bushmaster, H@R , L.C. smith ect are all safe, thriving, and producing the highest quality stuff that have ever produced. I mean Freedom groups buys bushmaster and DPMS then Introduces the R-15 and R -10 line up stamped rem made from bushmaster and dpms parts. Freedom group buys marlin and then rem has a newly introduced 22 just like the Xt-22. The new Rifle Model 783 just a marlin XL series.

How do you when a Freedom group President is telling a lie?
    "His lips are moving. "

I remember a former freedom group President state that Marlin would always be made in North Haven CN.

I remember a former freedom group President state that Marlin Employees would not suffer layoffs or loss of jobs with the freedom group take-over.

I remember a Second former freedom group President state that Marlin 22 rifles would now be made in Kentucky at the same plant that makes rem 22's. All levers in Ilion NY and future plants in S.carolina.

I remember that “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.” Maybe the ones with more than one head.

Jmarriott

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I do respect Shooter521 very much so I will take it that all is well in DPMS land.

Hey, you can respect me and still tell me I'm FOS. ;)

Say what you want about Freedom Group, but I was fairly impressed by Mr. Blackwell's openness about their past mistakes and future direction and goals.

That said, I can certainly see Freedom Group temporarily re-allocating DPMS' resources to cover shortages in other brands (Remington, Bushmaster) as necessary, leading to supply issues with DPMS products. Hopefully the acquisition of LAR will help prevent the need to for Freedom Group do so.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I must have missed something. Regarding weaponry, I thought the idea of prepping was to have what you needed should a disaster strike and supply be cut off. On December 13, I would imagine that most who were prepping thought they were, in fact, prepared. Yet on December 15th, all of a sudden, what was adequate for a disaster was suddenly not enough such that way too many people went out and bought out everything they could....based upon laws they thought may happen, which had not even been proposed.

Then, we blame the manufacturers for not predicting irrational behavior and for not expanding production to meet demand which may, in fact, dry up when it is discovered that, at the very least, the new laws will be no where close to what the lemmings ran over the cliff fearing.

What a crazy situation.

I agree with crazy. Beyond some topping off by those already prepping, we are seeing an awakening of those lulled into complacency. I hope after ordering their weapons they joined some advocacy groups and are continually contacting their representatives.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom