Some moron used tracer rounds at this gun range.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have shot at that range. It is a very nice place. It is well run, kind of expensive. The membrane system that collects the bullets and contains the lead dust will burn like a junkyard full of car tires. What a mess, What a shame.

From having part time jobs at three ranges, signs do not mean a thing to the kind of people that would shoot tracer rounds at 50 feet indoors. The same with steel core and armor piercing bullets. I cannot tell you how many times people wanted to argue with me when I wouldn't let them shoot their gun show armor piercing bullets inside a shooting range. I have inspected peoples ammo and explained why, only to find them shooting the armor piercing ammo when I was out of sight. What makes a guy think that paying $10 to rent a lane should give him the right to permanently damage a $15,000 backstop system? These jokers ruin it for everyone. Because of people like this, Alpine range in the DFW suburbs doesn't even allow ANYTHING but soft point even in their 100 yard outdoor dirt berm baffled range. No FMJ at all. I have been to ranges that will only let you shoot the ammo you buy from them, you cannot even shoot your own reloads (or collect your brass)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I hope he's more than banned for life, I hope he is doing time for this one.

Makes us all look bad.

He won't do any jail time. The shooter did NOT break any laws per the article. There is no law in TX against tracer rounds. Now he might get sued by the range owner for this and I'm sure the range owner has insurance. This is the same range that several years ago got damaged due to some storms and the roof collapsed.

As for the 'black dark smoke' that is what occurs when rubber burns.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    That's strange because i know a few fire fighters that have been injured from exploding bullets.

Keep in mind that a 50 cal burning is like a pipe bomb.
    Wow, everything I have read including a very large scale test involving literally tons of all types of ammunition posted on here states that NO confirmed cases of any fireman or other person has ever been injured seriously by exploding small arms ammo. SAAMI
    The exception is that if a firearm has one in the chamber and is in a fire the bullet will fire just as if you pulled the trigger. The tests confirmed that the ammo could be shipped without hazardous charges like primers and powder are currently.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Myth busters did a show on bullets in a fire, if I remember right the casing was more dangerous than the bullet itself.

Still a bad deal for the range up in flames

Yup. The case has far less mass and will reach much greater velocity. By comparison, the bullet barely moves.

H

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    That's strange because i know a few fire fighters that have been injured from exploding bullets.

Keep in mind that a 50 cal burning is like a pipe bomb.
    I'm not questioning the veracity of your statement, but curious. What were the extent of the injuries to the firefighters you know about? Were they wearing appropriate turnout gear?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I saw that Myth Busters episode....had a campfire of ammo go off.....think they put some dummies near by.....nothing happened to them. Now a bunch of bullets packed in a .50 cal can cooking off.....don't now, but wouldn't want to be near that.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    One block quarentine due to exploding bullets... I recall a video by SAMMI that a firefighter stood next to 1000's of exploding rounds with naught a scratch.
    The quarantine probably was due to the possibility of chambered rounds cooking off.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    You guys are taking this all wrong! A smart man uses the experience of others to succeed. For example: The INGO masses should do a public service to the community. INGO firmly believes we should give our business to local gun shops. So an INGO Indy group meeting should occur, where a range could rented FOR A FULL DAY, ALL THE LANES at Don's and have a battle rattle. That truely would be a public service to Indy.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I took part in starting a range fire. That was at Edson range, Camp Pendelton, Ca. in 1977.
    We were shooting tracers for night-fire training when one of the tracers took a wrong bounce off of one of the duece and a half they had out at the range for target practice.

It took us almost two days to put that fire out.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Wow, what a moron. At least he admitted to firing the tracer rounds. Of course anyone in the range with this 'mensa candidate' would have pointed him out pretty quick. I hope the owner can recover from this.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Could one of you guys explain how the rubber part of the backstop works? I'm curious why rubber is used and have no knowledge on it.

Top Bottom