Some idiot put 60+-70+lbs air in wife's tires!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's a good practice to be on the safe side.
    But my dad owned a service station for 50 years or so, and the guys that ran it taught me it's OK to use the impact wrench as long as you use "common sense".
    They never over tightened lug nuts with an impact wrench, and this was using a 180psi air compressor that also operated the lift.
    I would expect a person who did this for a living to have the touch....or torque sticks.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Sounds like you had your last service at Walmart
    Tires- over inflated!
    Drain plug- over torqued!
    Air filter- improperly installed!
    Oil filter- 1/2 a turn from tight!
    Under vehicle trays- ready to fall off as you leave the parking lot!
    Ok boys, send it out!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Proper lugnut torque is two ugga-duggas, right?

This reminds me, I need to let air out of my my truck tires. They were installed in Feb and aired to 35PSI cold...now they're 39 cold and get as high as 42 driving 20 miles to work.
    Trucks generally run Hight pressures.
    My half ton GMC sidewalls call for 45 cold. Yokohama Geolander.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's a good practice to be on the safe side.
    But my dad owned a service station for 50 years or so, and the guys that ran it taught me it's OK to use the impact wrench as long as you use "common sense".
    They never over tightened lug nuts with an impact wrench, and this was using a 180psi air compressor that also operated the lift.
    Perma Tex Hi-Nickel anti-seize an the lugs and zip them on with the impact.
    Drop the wheel to the ground and do a final with a breaker bar. Just don’t stretch the threads.
    The anti-seize aids you when you are stuck with just the tools that came with the jack. I always put the proper sockets and such in the vehicle.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Proper lugnut torque is two ugga-duggas, right?

This reminds me, I need to let air out of my my truck tires. They were installed in Feb and aired to 35PSI cold...now they're 39 cold and get as high as 42 driving 20 miles to work.
    Derick, the feller from VGG approves.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I always check and fill my air myself. Learned my lesson years ago, took my Corvette to the dealer for an oil change and minor repair. First warning was when they tried to charge me for a tire rotation—unidirectional staggered tires, I think not! As I was leaving the dealership my TPMS light came on. Checking the monitor tires were 65 psi Not the 32 on the freaking sticker that Chevy put on the car! Service guy said “but thats what is on the tire!” (Max inflation 65 psi). Never returned to that Chevy dealer. In fact, during all the years I owned vettes I never found a chevy dealer in Indy that knew diddly squat about working on them.
    I never cease to be amazed at how many people just fill a tire with the maximun pressure rating of the tire instead of what the manufacturer of the vehicle calls for.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I would expect a person who did this for a living to have the touch....or torque sticks.

X2 on the torque sticks. I don’t rotate my own tires usually, but if I take them off for other work, I use torque bars. Some rims will warp if over tightened

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Perma Tex Hi-Nickel anti-seize an the lugs and zip them on with the impact.
    Drop the wheel to the ground and do a final with a breaker bar. Just don’t stretch the threads.
    The anti-seize aids you when you are stuck with just the tools that came with the jack. I always put the proper sockets and such in the vehicle.

Same, I have a 1/2” breaker bar and socket in my 3/4 ton

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    When I swap out my snow tires I use a four way breaker bar but then check the lug nuts with a torque wrench. Usually pretty close going by feel.

Proper torque = crank to til the threads strip then back off a half turn.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Wow. Thankfully she didn't blow one. I always check the sticker in the door jamb for pressure and the owners manual for lug nut torque for any car that comes through our shop that we have to take wheel off for whatever reason or air up. A good torque wrench is a must have. Also, a witness to watch you do it and hear the click at whatever ft/lb you said. Usually ~100.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    X2 on the torque sticks. I don’t rotate my own tires usually, but if I take them off for other work, I use torque bars. Some rims will warp if over tightened

When a bit younger we rotated spring and fall with the fluid service on all the vehicles. At one time it was 7.
    1 ton Ford duelie and (4) 4 wheel drives.
    We did the differentials and transmissions every other year on all the rigs but split it up so a few every fall.
    When the tires were off we looked at the breaks and greased everything.
    It pays dividends to maintenance your rugs. Especially when you are towing with them.

We are down to 1 4x4 and CKWS Acadia. How times change. We have a shop we trust that deals with this now. Know. The owner and mechanic for years.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    So, if you know me you know the farmer motto is if a little’s good, more is better and too much is almost just enough.
    We tighten semi tires and 3/4 and ton trucks and never paid much attention.

Then I bought a Tundra.
    It says “Tun” right in the name and I treat it as such from time to time.

But - there are only 5 lug bolts! I decided to start paying attention and I’m glad I did, as I’m sure I would have broken lug bolts.

Torque sticks are your friend. It’s gotta be some kind of dark magic, but you can use an impact with peace of mind.

Top Bottom