• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I dont mind giving or haveing a bill of sale, mostly when I buy something I demand one, but when I sell something its buyers choice. If the boyz in blue show up I'll just tell'm what I know and thats all I can do.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Incorrect.... all firearm transfer paperwork must be get infinatly by an FFL...

Unless something has changed recently (and it may have), the retention on 4473's is/was 20 years at the FFL level. After that they could be discarded. Is indefinite retention something new?

Last edited by a moderator:

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I have never done the BOS thing when selling a gun. All the dealers I know are reluctant to give me one when I buy a gun from them. And when they do, they don't put the serial no. on it.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I always get a bill of sale from a private sale for that instance you described that happened to you. Now mabe all the people on here that wont buy/sell with a bill of sale will take notice.

Nope. If I've got to do paperwork, I want an advantage to me as a buyer as well. Giving a private seller paperwork is all win for them, all lose for me. Hell, for all I know they capped somone on the way to the sale with the gun I just bought. "No officer, I just sold that gun. See, here's the bill of sale."

If I'm doing paperwork, I want the advantages a gun store brings. If I'm buying privately, the ONLY advantage to me in doing so is no paperwork, no paper trail, and I do not want a government papertrail on all my guns. Plain and simple. If someone doesn't want to sell me a gun on that basis, I've got no heartburn with it.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I have on occasion signed a bill of sale and I do not mind doing so as it is not worth the paper its written on. If the seller needs the false sense of security it offers. OK fine, but that is as far as I am willing to go. I just toss my copy in the trash when I get home.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Does anyone have available a blank bill of sale? I can find these all over the internet for cars, but I haven't found anything for guns, yet. I am going to be putting a gun up for sale soon and I want to have paperwork to protect me, but I'd like to see what others are using so that I make sure I get everything in the receipt.

Top Bottom