• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Hey djl, I have 6 more 135 watt panels ready to install whenever I get some free time. That'll increase my array to 1.5kW.

Alright, I need to hit the lottery,so I can get some rolls Sureette batteries. 1200 apiece stings.
    I have the time,just dont have the money to spend. Guess i need to come out of retirement for awhile.
    What voltage are your panels,that you just got?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Alright, I need to hit the lottery,so I can get some rolls Sureette batteries. 1200 apiece stings.
    I have the time,just dont have the money to spend. Guess i need to come out of retirement for awhile.
    What voltage are your panels,that you just got?

The KC135s are 12v, I'll be wiring them for 24v to the controller, and then the new bank and inverter will be 24v. From here on out my heavier circuits will have 24v banks and inverters and the smaller circuits will have 12v banks and inverters.

A while back I decided to change my philosophy on battery banks. What I have been doing is buying smaller banks and putting some panels and an inverter on each one. Each bank powers a few circuits. Instead of having one big bank which costs a fortune to replace every so often, I have several smaller banks of different ages, so I only have to replace a few batteries every 2-3 years. It also gives me redundancy as I am working to make everything modular so I can just switch circuits around if I have a failure or the like. 2 of the panels will be going to the shop which currently has no solar, and the other four are going to the house to run a circuit dedicated to the fridge and a couple of lights. The charge controller I got will do load diversion so when the fridge bank is full it'll shunt power to the rest of the house's bank.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    The KC135s are 12v, I'll be wiring them for 24v to the controller, and then the new bank and inverter will be 24v. From here on out my heavier circuits will have 24v banks and inverters and the smaller circuits will have 12v banks and inverters.

A while back I decided to change my philosophy on battery banks. What I have been doing is buying smaller banks and putting some panels and an inverter on each one. Each bank powers a few circuits. Instead of having one big bank which costs a fortune to replace every so often, I have several smaller banks of different ages, so I only have to replace a few batteries every 2-3 years. It also gives me redundancy as I am working to make everything modular so I can just switch circuits around if I have a failure or the like. 2 of the panels will be going to the shop which currently has no solar, and the other four are going to the house to run a circuit dedicated to the fridge and a couple of lights. The charge controller I got will do load diversion so when the fridge bank is full it'll shunt power to the rest of the house's bank.

I have a question for you. I think i know the answer but. Will a GFI circuit trip under solar power? I have been running the pool pump ,off solar,but when it gets warm enough to get in, I'm not sure if its safe to get in with the pump running. You know what I mean?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have a question for you. I think i know the answer but. Will a GFI circuit trip under solar power? I have been running the pool pump ,off solar,but when it gets warm enough to get in, I'm not sure if its safe to get in with the pump running. You know what I mean?

If you have the GFI wired properly it should trip when there is an issue that it is designed for. I've not had problems with mine on either a Trace 2012 or a SW1512.

But you have to understand that the GFCI has limitations. If there's stray current in the water caused by wiring issues it isn't designed for that. It's designed to compare the current through the normal circuit with any current leaking through the bonded conductor and if there's a difference, then it trips. Regardless, if it's the same circuits you had before you installed your PV system, you won't have any issues with it now just because an inverter is the power source.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    If you have the GFI wired properly it should trip when there is an issue that it is designed for. I've not had problems with mine on either a Trace 2012 or a SW1512.

But you have to understand that the GFCI has limitations. If there's stray current in the water caused by wiring issues it isn't designed for that. It's designed to compare the current through the normal circuit with any current leaking through the bonded conductor and if there's a difference, then it trips. Regardless, if it's the same circuits you had before you installed your PV system, you won't have any issues with it now just because an inverter is the power source.
    Sounds good.Thanks ,didnt want to fry anyone.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    There is an outstanding book from Sandia National Labs "Stand alone photovoltaic systems: a handbook of recommended design practices."
    It used to be free, but now I see they want money for it.
    Go to NTIS Product Search Page
    and search for "sand87-7023"
    There are free publications at www.sandia.gov/pv but I haven't browsed them.

good thing I have a friend who works there ;) I bet I can get it for free :D

Top Bottom