• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Has anybody, ever known, anyone who has owned one? It would be nice to come up with a system to provide some back up energy. For a couple grand you can get 1800 watts vs a Solar power system with 135 watts for 850? Been reading, but dont know anything. Rather talk to someone who has dabbled in it before plunging in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I don't understand...what is a solar generator?

By "solar system with invertor", I assume you mean photovoltaic cells with a charge controller to charge one or more batteries, and an AC inverter using the battery DC to make 120 VAC. I am putting one of these together (just 60W), to charge batteries and power some LED lights. Total system cost will be about $400. Not a good financial deal, but it does provide some juice when the grid is down.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What exactly do you want to know? I've been off-grid for two decades now and run solar panles for a significant percentage of my power.

I can't speak for the OP, but the happy medium between the newest technology, $ spent vs. return, getting started on a low budget, etc.

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    The only "generator" I'm aware of would be a thermal solar generator. It uses a parabolic mirror or fresnel lens to focus sunlight on a stirling engine or even a water/steam generator. Niether system is cheap nor reliable. PV cells are the easiest/best system for homeowners. If you are truly dedicated to obtaining solar energy, then you can consider thermal solar power.

Personally, I believe wind power to be a better OTG off-the-grid system, than any other. This is due to a large number of reasons. Angle of Declination, as well as Wx, can be a problem in Indiana. Wind turbines are cheaper and they produce power on a consitant basis (i.e. night).

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Personally, I believe wind power to be a better OTG off-the-grid system, than any other. This is due to a large number of reasons. Angle of Declination, as well as Wx, can be a problem in Indiana. Wind turbines are cheaper and they produce power on a consitant basis (i.e. night).

I agree with you on this. Solar panels are nice in summer to run the frig/freezer and A/C. But, come Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, there is a whole lot more wind than sun.

If you have a nice-sized (yet controllable) stream on your property, you can redirect the stream to a size which can be used to power a generator.

Note: all theoretical on my part.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I can't speak for the OP, but the happy medium between the newest technology, $ spent vs. return, getting started on a low budget, etc.

Alternative energy systems is a maturing technology and is getting cheaper all of the time. As far as equipment goes, about the only thing I recommend is to stay away from cheap inverters. Sure you can get a 2kW inverter for $100 at Costco or whatever, but it will be inefficient, electrically noisy, and will eat itself if asked to power anywhere near its capacity for any length of time. As far as getting started on a low budget there are several ways to go about it. My primary advice in this avenue is to spend the money up front for the infrastructure that will allow you to expand in the future. I ended up rebuilding my systems several times as I upgraded and spent more in the long run.

If you are currently on grid, my recommendation is to buy an inverter/charger and a smallish battery bank, then wire it in to a few critical circuits in the house (fridge/freezer, a few lights, etc) then you have what becomes an UPS for those circuits. Then when you can expand and add some solar panels switch that back out so a few lower draw circuits are running off the solar and battery. Leave yourself the option to switching the critical circuits back into the system in case of emergencies. Then as you can add more solar (or wind or whatever) you can add circuits. You can get started for under a grand and generally speaking it costs from $3 to $6 a watt to add solar (it gets cheaper the bigger panels you buy at once, I paid $2.90/watt shipped for my last buy of 2 205 watt panels).

Another option for getting started that some folks do is build some type of portable power center that can be used sorta like a generator and can be moved around so you can take it camping or wherever.

The last thing I want to say is that there are a whole lot of people out there with opinions on the subject. Very few people have actually built systems or lived with them day in and day out. I mostly ignore people who don't have much practical experience since there's a lot you can't learn except by doing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you are currently on grid, my recommendation is to buy an inverter/charger and a smallish battery bank, then wire it in to a few critical circuits in the house (fridge/freezer, a few lights, etc) then you have what becomes an UPS for those circuits. Then when you can expand and add some solar panels switch that back out so a few lower draw circuits are running off the solar and battery. Leave yourself the option to switching the critical circuits back into the system in case of emergencies. Then as you can add more solar (or wind or whatever) you can add circuits.

First of all, thanks for the great info!

I don't see me making it off the grid for some time. However, very interesting to me would be a constantly running circuitry like you are mentioning to work as a UPS for communications (ie. computer network, security system, telephone, cellular, television.)

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I had thought about getting a generator that would run on propane, and the appropriate charger/inverter and batteries to power the house. I would then cut my grid tie and use the generator to charge the batteries and run heavy loads as needed, such as laundry day, etc. Our main electric use on a continuing basis is the refgrigerator and freezer, then the furnace (if the house gets below 53F!). Otherwise, our house would use no power other then the phantom draws that we currently have. What it would come down to is convenience and power management. Eventually we could add renewable type energy collectors after that, be it solar, wind or micro-hydro electric.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    Anyone getting into this? I would like to start with a wind turbine as I am surrounded by open fields and get a lot of wind. I only have one south facing roof, it needs replaced and I do not have the money for it at the moment. I also have a ditch beside the house but it is usually only usable in the spring when we get a lot of rain, otherwise it is dry or snow filled.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    As for what I have had experience with, I agree with shibumiseeker, many people can tell you what to do but until you do it you don't actually know if the original person who told you what to do was completly full of crap or if they knew what they were talking about. Trial and error costs money sometimes..

I also agree that from what I consider to be reliable sources, a battery bank is very important, buying good batteries is much better then saving money when the whole system relies on the bank for peaks...

I am desiging a new "manshed" as I call it which is going to incorporate all of the economical, security, thermal efficiency, power savings, communications integrated, layout considerations I can come up with to make it the best residence possible for self sufficient living when or if the SHTF or Darkness comes.. It is totally off grid with the exception of fuel which I am researching now.. I am told I am not nutz.. Really...

What I am being told is sad is that once I get all the bugs worked out and the whole system works, I will probbably give the information and designs away for free because I will have no need of money as I will be completely self sufficent..

I may only be a dream due to the actual money it is costing now but it occupies my time..

Just my two pennies, I don't know anything..

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Has anybody, ever known, anyone who has owned one? It would be nice to come up with a system to provide some back up energy. For a couple grand you can get 1800 watts vs a Solar power system with 135 watts for 850? Been reading, but dont know anything. Rather talk to someone who has dabbled in it before plunging in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Why not just install a 2k system? You would get the most bang for your buck. Up to a $4000 tax rebate(depending on where you live and who your power company is.) and you will also have 200 more watts of power.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    There is an outstanding book from Sandia National Labs "Stand alone photovoltaic systems: a handbook of recommended design practices."
    It used to be free, but now I see they want money for it.
    Go to NTIS Product Search Page
    and search for "sand87-7023"
    There are free publications at www.sandia.gov/pv but I haven't browsed them.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    If you are charging a battery for backup power, how do you keep the battery from getting overcharged?

install a charge controller.
    ,I took the plunge a few months after I created this thread. There are pic and specs on a different thread ,somewhere on here

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I am thinking of justing small and getting a set up for my well pump. That way if electric goes out for an extended period of time I can have water. I would guess I would need something small with one battery. I would also need to keep it going in the winter as the pump is in a well house and not insulated, even though I do keep a heat lamp in there in the winter. If I could also power the heat lamp that would be great as it is on all the time in the winter.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I am thinking of justing small and getting a set up for my well pump. That way if electric goes out for an extended period of time I can have water. I would guess I would need something small with one battery. I would also need to keep it going in the winter as the pump is in a well house and not insulated, even though I do keep a heat lamp in there in the winter. If I could also power the heat lamp that would be great as it is on all the time in the winter.

I run all my 110 off solar. Being your just wanting to run a pump off solar,and I assume its a 220 v pump,If it were me,I would start with a couple 24 or 48 volt panels, 220 watts each, with a good charge controller,like an Outback or something simliar, and get at least 1 or 2 Rolls Sureette batteries.
    I done it all back wards and bought 12 v panels. Though they work great,the 12 v panels max out the charge controller at 120 watts. After reading the brochure,if I would have went with 24 or 48 v panels I could have doubled or tripled my wattage /with the same controller and invertor.
    If I had it to do all over,I would call Outback and explain what I wanted to do for now and what would be the best setup for future upgrades.
    Like I mentioned I bought 1000 watts of 12 v panels and it almost maxed out the charge controller. 24 v panels I could have ,used 2000 to 2400 watts of panels.
    To achieve this now ,I would have to buy another 700 dollar controller and run more wire.
    Do yourself a favor and read before you purchase. (Which I didnt)

Heres a couple pics of what I started with.
    http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/solar049.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/solar047.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/solar046.jpg

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Alternative energy systems is a maturing technology and is getting cheaper all of the time. As far as equipment goes, about the only thing I recommend is to stay away from cheap inverters. Sure you can get a 2kW inverter for $100 at Costco or whatever, but it will be inefficient, electrically noisy, and will eat itself if asked to power anywhere near its capacity for any length of time. As far as getting started on a low budget there are several ways to go about it. My primary advice in this avenue is to spend the money up front for the infrastructure that will allow you to expand in the future. I ended up rebuilding my systems several times as I upgraded and spent more in the long run.

If you are currently on grid, my recommendation is to buy an inverter/charger and a smallish battery bank, then wire it in to a few critical circuits in the house (fridge/freezer, a few lights, etc) then you have what becomes an UPS for those circuits. Then when you can expand and add some solar panels switch that back out so a few lower draw circuits are running off the solar and battery. Leave yourself the option to switching the critical circuits back into the system in case of emergencies. Then as you can add more solar (or wind or whatever) you can add circuits. You can get started for under a grand and generally speaking it costs from $3 to $6 a watt to add solar (it gets cheaper the bigger panels you buy at once, I paid $2.90/watt shipped for my last buy of 2 205 watt panels).

Another option for getting started that some folks do is build some type of portable power center that can be used sorta like a generator and can be moved around so you can take it camping or wherever.

The last thing I want to say is that there are a whole lot of people out there with opinions on the subject. Very few people have actually built systems or lived with them day in and day out. I mostly ignore people who don't have much practical experience since there's a lot you can't learn except by doing.

Do you have any plans for something like this?

Was looking at buying one online but would prefer to build my own if possible.

Top Bottom