• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I need some warm socks. I got some last year for Christmas. Wore them to the range today and my feet where numb by the time I left. I think the problem is my feet sweat then get cold. If I wear cotton socks my feet don't sweat, but still get cold.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Costco has merino (I believe) wool socks and they're great. Priced right and very warm. They usually sell out quickly though.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Right. I have the same problem, and I too tried to solve it with merino will, and while those are great for around the house, they don't work in boots. Sure, they wick like a MIDI, but the sweat just sits there and either:

A, you cook your feet under activity, or
    B, they get cold

Nice thick cotton, white socks. I like the Costco ones with the red stripe at the toe. And change them often. Get multiple pairs of better boots and rotate them. Better boots.

Better boots. Multiple pairs.

JJT*90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    I'm going to have to agree with some other people here. Take multiple pairs of socks and change them out.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Cotton is the enemy!!! Of course Under Armour just came out with some cotton overpriced under garments made by children in some sweat shop so the marketing geniuses will be saying cotton is the best. However it is the worst for keeping you warm and dry. Cotton by nature absorbs moisture and traps it next to your skin. Good quality Merino wool socks wick the moisture away from your feet where it can evaporate. You feel the dampness on the outside of the wool socks when you take your boots off because the socks are doing their job, transporting the moisture away from your skin to the outside where it can evaporate.

Smart Wool Smart Wool Smart Wool...
    As mentioned above Costco and Sam's Club sell a reasonable substitute merino wool sock at a substantial savings. I have 12 pairs of these and they work well but do tend to shrink more than the Smart Wool brand.

You really think you are going to change your socks several times during the day while working construction, deer hunting, even at the range???? Why would you want to have to do that??

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Merino wool.

Smartwool, Darn Tough Vermont, Icebreaker. They can't be beaten. If merino won't wick nothing will.

+1 for Merino. And, wool doesn't promote bacterial growth like synthetics can. And, these seem to last for a good long while. I have half a dozen pair that I've worn weekly for 4+ years.

Smartwool and REI are my favorites.

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I've got a buddy that swears by the heavyweight Ultimax Cabela's socks.

I don't own any.....I struggle paying the price for them ($15-$16), but I don't have an issue with cold feet. Might be something to consider.

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    I like the bass pro redhead brand socks. Bout 10 bucks a pair. Oh yeah they are lifetime guaranteed. Ya wear them out you simply take them back and they replace them free of charge. I've done it at least 5 times now.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I got some of the "new miracle micro fiber' type hunting socks several years ago. They are the H.E.A.D. brand. I think I got them from Gander Mountain. They are warm, and they let my feet breathe. Much better on both qualities than 3 pairs of cotton work socks.

Top Bottom