• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Try it on a traffic stop. Get pulled over for speed and only put your window down 3'. Its not going to work. Its unreasonable. Your window will eventually be busted out and you will lose it court. You can get into the whole what is reasonable to me is may not be reasonable to you but you will lose in court. Jury or judge.

Your precog abilities are being wasted as a patrolman.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Try it on a traffic stop. Get pulled over for speed and only put your window down 3'. Its not going to work. Its unreasonable. Your window will eventually be busted out and you will lose it court. You can get into the whole what is reasonable to me is may not be reasonable to you but you will lose in court. Jury or judge.

You've been asked a question a couple of times I wish you'd answer. If the law says you have to produce ID for an an infraction, by what justification may you demand ID when someone hasn't committed an infraction?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You've been asked a question a couple of times I wish you'd answer. If the law says you have to produce ID for an an infraction, by what justification may you demand ID when someone hasn't committed an infraction?

But Dross,

They think you might have committed an infraction!

Is that not good enough???:n00b:

Regards,

Doug

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Why is it not gonna work? Why is 3 INCHES not sufficient? Perhaps because it prevents the officer from reaching into the car with his whole body to disarm someone?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why is it not gonna work? Why is 3 INCHES not sufficient? Perhaps because it prevents the officer from reaching into the car with his whole body to disarm someone?

It's not going to work because, as a courtesy, I would expect someone to roll their window fully down. If it's a legitimate stop, why not? It's kinda a dik move. It changes the entire tenor of the stop.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    in this instance, the mere fact that you are driving a car is PC that you are driving it without a licence.

basically: checkpoints for a licence are constitutional; for sobriety not so much.

Walking around in public is PC that you might be an undocumented alien. Papers, please.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It's not going to work because, as a courtesy, I would expect someone to roll their window fully down. If it's a legitimate stop, why not? It's kinda a dik move. It changes the entire tenor of the stop.

As a courtesy, I would expect to be able to drive somewhere without being treated like a criminal.

So much for courtesy.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    the problem with the argument that these checkpoints violate your rights and are impeding upon your freedoms, you would have to assume that you are truly free in the first place. never in the history of this nation, or any other for that matter, have the people been truly free. no matter what you do, you will always have to operate within the parameters of laws that someone else has made for you to follow, and the only way to change that is through "that which we can not talk about here". even then we would likely elect/appoint someone else to make new rules for us again.

that being said, some of you need to step away from the keyboard and go outside. I promise there is no boogeyman waiting outside your door to stomp your brains out.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The problem isn't with the police officers, it is with the people who permit these checkpoints, the courts and politicians. If you tell officers to set up checkpoints, they are going to demand to see your ID and see if they need to do a sobriety test based upon your ability to respond and react. They are not going to let the drivers decide if they are going to comply.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The problem isn't with the police officers, it is with the people who permit these checkpoints, the courts and politicians. If you tell officers to set up checkpoints, they are going to demand to see your ID and see if they need to do a sobriety test based upon your ability to respond and react. They are not going to let the drivers decide if they are going to comply.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

The police officers certainly have the option of saying "No, I will not do something that I believe tramples the rights of innocent people."

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Damn!!!
    I can't rep you until I spread it around some more. :xmad:

BTW
    DUCK!!
    There'll be incoming. :rolleyes:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    It's not going to work because, as a courtesy, I would expect someone to roll their window fully down.

But since when is lack of courtesy to a LEO against the law? Also, the topic of the thread is a checkpoint, not a traffic stop. Regarding the traffic stop, I believe you have full authority to request and I am required to provide my license to you.

[STRIKE]I am still waiting for your explanation on why[/STRIKE] (Sorry, I thought I was responding to Keyser again) I would like to know if you think I am required to provide my license if I have not been committed an infraction. You seem to be saying that opening the window completely is not required by law, but would be considered "contempt of cop." Are you also suggesting that providing ID when asked if no infraction has been committed is not required, but if not provided is also contempt of cop? If so, what are the consequences of such action?

Keyser clearly thinks it is illegal.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sorry, I'm not buying it.

The police officers certainly have the option of saying "No, I will not do something that I believe tramples the rights of innocent people."

If they are following procedures that the courts have ruled as constitutional or avoided rendering an opinion on, you are suggesting they disobey directions from their superiors. Bet that would work out really well for them.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana

The state & federal funds were provided for DUI checkpoints. California case law specifies how these are to be carried out. It clearly states that signs of intoxication must first be identified in order to establish probable cause before any further investigation can be done. The case law states they can *talk* to the driver to establish that. Certain police departments added the "License checks" which are not in the guidelines. We could argue whether the individual police officers workiong the stops are at fault for following illegal orders. I could certainly understand taking the path of least resistance to protect one's job, but it certainly is the police department's responsibility to ensure the stops are carried out according to law. They are overstepping their legal limits.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The state & federal funds were provided for DUI checkpoints. California case law specifies how these are to be carried out. It clearly states that signs of intoxication must first be identified in order to establish probable cause before any further investigation can be done. The case law states they can *talk* to the driver to establish that. Certain police departments added the "License checks" which are not in the guidelines. We could argue whether the individual police officers workiong the stops are at fault for following illegal orders. I could certainly understand taking the path of least resistance to protect one's job, but it certainly is the police department's responsibility to ensure the stops are carried out according to law. They are overstepping their legal limits.

How are the orders illegal if the courts and the legal community agree they are legal. Here is an article from the UNC law school that explains the current state of the law..
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Fl9PXDupw&sig2=hf0tKU09dljkQy4bcRVP6A&cad=rja

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If they are following procedures that the courts have ruled as constitutional or avoided rendering an opinion on, you are suggesting they disobey directions from their superiors. Bet that would work out really well for them.

You're right, nobody should ever be expected to disobey directions from their superiors when their superiors are in the wrong.

I can't believe anyone would even suggest such a thing. How absurd.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom