• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I have been looking for a good quality straight razor for awhile. I have looked at the dovo sets you can get on amazon and such. My main thing is I spend so much money on razorblades its ridiculous. I have thought about the old fashioned safety razors but If I am going to do something might as well do it right and go to a straight razor. So who uses them and who knows where I can find one??

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County

Don't dismiss those "safety" razors so fast - I've used the old Gillette double edge razors for years - I don't think you can get a much better or cheaper shave - once you learn to use them!

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington

Don't dismiss those "safety" razors so fast - I've used the old Gillette double edge razors for years - I don't think you can get a much better or cheaper shave - once you learn to use them!

I completely agree with you. I just started using a Merkur safety razor that I got for Christmas and I love it! I have yet to cut myself and they are also cheaper to use then disposable multi-blade razors.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I would like to try a straight razor some day. Once I used an older safety razor I was hooked. There is a slight learning curve to it. Once you get use to it you can get a better shave than any disposable with less irritation. You also save a lot of money.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I've switched to traditional wet shaving recently for cost and "old-school-cool" factor. Badger and Blade forums have helped immensely. It's a lot of fun. I used to shave as fast as possible in the shower every morning and now it's the only fun 15minutes of a morning routine I have. Makes me feel manly (only partially joking.) I heard about it in a post called "shave like your grandpa" on the artofmanliness blog that a coworker told me about. It's been a fun experience and it's worth it even just for the cost savings. Few bucks for 20 blades...each blade lasts 3-5 shaves. It's fun to whip up real shaving cream with a badger brush, bowl, and traditional avacado shaving cream. Warm lather feels great and the shave is closer than anything I had tried before.

I'll make the jump to straight razor at some point in the future...at least for once in awhile shaves. The old safety razors have been great. I bought 3 of them in a set brand new in the box from 1962 on ebay for about $18. Not too shabby.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    +1 For Badger & Blade

I use a DE razor too and it is great, though I'd like a straight razor as well for when I have more free time for leisurely shaving.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    :wavey:

I don't shave with it very often, but I do pull it out when I want to enjoy my shave and have some time. Double edged safety razor most other times.

Badger & Blade.

Straight Razor Forums.

Get yourself a starter razor and have it honed.

Get yourself some good shaving cream and a brush to lather it up with. I'd recommend the $10/tube green stuff in the minute men's section at Bath & Body Works. It is the famed Proraso rebranded. :yesway:

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I use a straight razor. Dovo best quality. Its not as difficult as you think it is. if you cut yourself they are always very clean cuts and a stiptic pencil will take care of it, but it burns more than cut lol. you will be amazed how much smoother your face feels. especially once you get comfortable enough to start shaving across or against the grain. jawline and neck (adams apple) are fairly difficult. when i started i used a regular razor for those areas. However, after using a straight razor nothing else comes close. You won't regret it.

P.S.
    I bought my razor from Straight Razor : Double Edge Razor : Shaving Products Supplies : Merkur Safety Razor : Badger Shaving Brush : Men's Grooming Products : VintageBladesllc.com

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I already have the brush and coffe cup for a lather bowl.. its the way grandpa did it even with these new fangled razors. If its good enough for a marine its good enough for me.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Man, there's a forum for everything these days, isn't there? :D

If that ain't the truth. It never ends. I'm a serial hobbier...and everytime hear hear about something new like shaving...there are already 3 active forums and 1000 people who have spent their whole lives with that one thing as their only hobby. Makes me spend my money faster than I would like to!

Guns, guitars, knives, shaving, sharpening, reloading, running, kettlebells, etc. You name it and someone out there has spent their life on it. It's also an amazing thing about the internet and the information age. You can actually access those people and talk to them about the hobby if you want to. That's pretty cool when you think about it. Back in the day you used to have to talk to a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who knew anything about what you wanted.

Top Bottom