So which one of you had issues at UPS today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    hahahaha Someone was trying to ship a firearm at the UPS hub near 86th today about 4:30 but was having a time with the lady at the counter. Apparently this was his second attempt at shipping it. I thought about trying to help as I've shipped several firearms with not issues before but I decided instead to mind my own business.

I couldn't clearly see the box but it looked rifle length.

I hope he convinced her to ship it.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I was there shipping ammo and if I'm not mistaken I didn't have a choice.

$11.72 for 5.5lbs of ammo to SC....highway robbery.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Back on the OP here:n00b:, I've only had to ship a firearm one time but S&W ate the cost as it dealt with a warranty issue. I had no issues when I dropped it off to ship.:rockwoot:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    wow, to call all UPS employees thieves, thats kinda cold

I didn't see where they called all employees thieves, but there are some.
    Cold as it may be, it is true...
    When I worked there, they had problems especially during seasonal work when jewelry and other small packages would turn up missing.
    They would run test packages through the system that would become "lost" and end up tracking it down to the culprits.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I had a buddy whose nephew worked part-time on the line at the UPS sorting hub in St Louis. A whole bunch of individual shipments of computers kept coming up missing. Kids supervisor was lifting them. Feds found several in a storage facility in St Charles.

Dude, he got a Dell.

Last edited:

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    UPS SHIPPING....NO..NO..

I gave up on UPS and FED EX a couple of years ago and ship
    all my firearms USPS, insured and tracked at a third of the price
    of the others and have had no issues at all. Of course, when it
    comes to shipping ammo, UPS has got you where it hurts.:ar15:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    okay...I kept quiet as long as I could on this. I work in the UPS IT dept here in Indy, and I'm non-union. I'm fine with you having your own opinions regarding pretty much damn near everything. But please don't paint with such a broad brush when talking about UPS and unions, they are two different entities.

I know that the non-union workers at UPS wished they could make the coin that the union workers do, but they also know the ramifications to the company if we were all to be union. There are hard workers on both sides of the union - non-union table, as well as the slackers. UPS is also a very large company, where the shots are called high above the heads of most employees.

I won't even go into how many packages move through the UPS system every single day without any issues.

So please, decide what you want to b itch about...

UPS Pricing....yeah pretty much out of the average workers control regardless whether their union or not.

Unions....not going to argue for or against them, I'm not union and I see no point in it.

Hell I'll even give you option three...

B itch about how your shipment got effed up going through the UPS system. But try to keep a small little corner of your mind open to the fact that there ARE non-union workers at UPS that DO care about your shipments. Regardless whether its that tricked out 1911 or M1 that your grandpa had or juice maker for your wife.

UPS has provided for me and mine for several years, and hopefully for several more. It kills me to hear of a messed up shipment, we do care. I'll even extend the offer that if you have a messed up shipment, PM me, let me see what I can do to help. But try to remember, some things are out of our immediate control.

Okay rant is over and done with, carry on.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I posted that in this thread as well as in the one below.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/64426-ups_and_the_union.html

You're right no one mentioned unions in this thread. I was on a rant and have gotten it out of my system, thanks. :D :yesway:

Just so you know, I did not start that other thread...it was taken from this thread and a mod started it. :)
    I would not have just started a thread to complain about UPS as it appears, as I was merely commenting to a post on this thread. So, to keep the thread from going two different directions, a mod took it upon themselves to separate them. :cheers:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I gave up on UPS and FED EX a couple of years ago and ship
    all my firearms USPS, insured and tracked at a third of the price
    of the others and have had no issues at all. Of course, when it
    comes to shipping ammo, UPS has got you where it hurts.:ar15:

You do know that unless you're an FFL, you aren't allowed to ship handguns via USPS...

Just sayin'...

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have seen guns shipped as gun parts. remove bolt and send it USPS. Seems if it is not a complete gun they are a little more lax.

I know that it's the common carrier's policy to be told that the package contains a firearm...

But I also think that it's an ATF requirement that you must declare to the common carrier that you're shipping a firearm.

-J-

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    A heck of an offer from RogerB. Thanks for that one - I'll keep it in mind. In general, I've had more trouble with larger shipments (commercial) with OTR carriers than UPS/USPS/FedEX. (There is still a special place in Hades for Watkins, in my perspective.)

Here's the million dollar question:
    When a mailman rants at you, he is "Going postal on you."

If a UPS guy rants at you, is he "Going Brown on you!?"

;)

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    You can ship handguns ups but only next day air. Long guns don't have to go overnight. Componets like powder and primers are considered hazardous, but finished ammo should be cosidered a commody.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    You can ship handguns ups but only next day air. Long guns don't have to go overnight. Componets like powder and primers are considered hazardous, but finished ammo should be cosidered a commody.

I just paid $55 to send a revolver back to Ruger a few weeks ago. It was insisted that it had to go overnight by the UPS clerks. A bit steep if you ask me. Put quite a sting in my day.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I just paid $55 to send a revolver back to Ruger a few weeks ago. It was insisted that it had to go overnight by the UPS clerks. A bit steep if you ask me. Put quite a sting in my day.

yes, the common carriers require that all firearms go overnight.

Might've been able to save some money had you gone through an FFL to ship. Especially one that utilizes USPS Priority Mail's flat rate shipping.

-J-

Top Bottom