• Total voters

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My problem is that I have an odd number of guns. That is just wrong! Also my wife is thinking about starting a small business. So here is the question, if you were going to spend a little of my money what would you choose? Lets pretend that my household income is about to take a dive and new guns will not be feasible for a long while and my shooting budget will be significantly impacted or non-existent. Should I be responsible or splurge?

This is meant to be fun, so all suggestions are welcome.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    My problem is that I have an odd number of guns. That is just wrong! Also my wife is thinking about starting a small business. So here is the question, if you were going to spend a little of my money what would you choose? Lets pretend that my household income is about to take a dive and new guns will not be feasible for a long while and my shooting budget will be significantly impacted or non-existent. Should I be responsible or splurge?

Be responsible, maybe even sell a couple of guns. If the wife starts a business soon she's going to have operating expenses until the business takes off. (What kind of business) Then you can play the guilt card and spent her money to replace the ones you sold for her! :D

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Maybe I've been playing Fallout New Vegas too much, but that was the first thing I thought of when I saw "varmint rifle" on the list...

So I voted for that... for that reason only.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    AK, but then you would need a backup AK...

Nope that's like taking two dates to the prom. Just no reason for it.

Another idea after taking Carbine II is an AimPoint for the AR. I have to admit it would have come in pretty handy.

salamander42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's difficult to decide without knowing what you've already got. My first thought is that you need a decent .22 if you don't have one. That'll keep you shooting almost no matter how tight the budget gets. If you've already got that covered, then I'd say go for the .357. . . Especially if you reload. Also, maybe some steel targets.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It's difficult to decide without knowing what you've already got. My first thought is that you need a decent .22 if you don't have one. That'll keep you shooting almost no matter how tight the budget gets. If you've already got that covered, then I'd say go for the .357. . . Especially if you reload. Also, maybe some steel targets.

Ah, now somebody is playing the game. It is difficult to make a suggestion without knowing what I have. I would list them all an the internet, but that is probably not the best idea.

Yes, I have .22s, both rifles and pistols. I love rimfire. Actually when I think varmint rifle .17HMR, .22 magnum, & .223 come to mind. I had a .22 magnum years ago and it is one of the few guns that I regret selling. Another 10/22 would be neat or maybe a .22 revolver.

Steel targets are a cool idea. I might donate some to the conservation club. As long as the *&%^$%^ there don't blast em full of holes with rifles.

salamander42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I went ahead and cast my vote for the .357 given the new info. I really like the look and feel of the Ruger revolvers, but I haven't shot one yet. The SP101 is near the top of my wish list, and I'd eventually like a GP100 as well.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Nope that's like taking two dates to the prom. Just no reason for it.

Another idea after taking Carbine II is an AimPoint for the AR. I have to admit it would have come in pretty handy.

You mean we aren't supposed to take two dates to prom? Totally did that my senior year!!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If your income is about to take a dive, pick yourself up a nice .22. You'll be able to shoot plenty for minimal cost.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I chose other option you are not considering. I was thinkin put a few of what you already have away for a while and only play with a few for a while (I realize it will take discipline). Then after a while get those guns out of storage and put away the ones you've been playing with basically making old stuff new again. Thereby not spending any money to help the situation for a while. If I was going to buy anything new it would be ammo.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I say just buy some more ammo. Since your budget will be getting cut this way you will have plenty of ammo and you wont have to spend as much as you would on a new gun. Good luck

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    SP101

Be responsible. Help her out and the rewards will be worth it.

Keep the wife as a priority...along with her wishes...keeps the marriage functioning.

Then...make sure you have plenty of .22lr ammo...must keep shooting, but be finanically responsible about it.

Last...if all else fails, grab an SP101 in .357mag, if at all possible. It's capable of providing solid 'personal defense' in .357mag...plus you can shoot .38's for target practice, saving you $$. Meprolight makes a great front night sight for it (about $50 shipped) and there's a large number of after market grips to fit your particular style...Hogue, Badger Custom, Trausch, Pachmyer, etc.

I've had one (2.25") since Christmas 1994...and it's survived against all sorts of trades, sales, etc...meaning, out of all the guns I have bought, sold, and traded over the years, this one is not an option. It's my 'ace-in-the-hole' gun. Mine sports Badger Custom Boot Grips...along with a Meprolight front night sight. I tote it around in a Bianchi Model 7 3-slot holster, which tucks up nice & tight on my hip...and sometimes in a Bianchi Ranger Ankle Holster. Most people don't even know I have it.

Good luck with the wife's business!

Top Bottom