• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I have a Winchester 94 30/30 and I'd choose and AK over it anyday. Is the 30/30 fun and accurate to shoot? Yes. But I'll take 30 rounds in semi auto over 7 in lever action anyday. Maybe you can get both. Carry the AK and throw the 30/30 in a scabbard on your back.
    :rockwoot:

I'd be be happy to let you try out mine.

Thanks for this thread. I just got out my 30/30 and I remember how much fun it is. I haven't had it out since January.

Last edited:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Sorry for not getting back sooner, 68 hours in a five day work week doesn't leave much time for INGO. . .:crying: Glad for the work, though!

So the arguments against the 30/30 revolve around mag capacity? What are common malfunctions that you have experienced?

How much does a FAL weigh, loaded? I am trying to keep the weight, loaded and with a stand-alone sighting device, (micro T-1, low power scope, etc) under ten pounds. And those are PRICEY! Like the POF, looking at ~ 3k ready to rumble. . .

Aforementioned weight: is this a tall order? To have a loaded, capable rifle under 10 pounds in a medium caliber? I realize that (especially with larger rounds) this is particularly limited by my ammo capacity. Probably why my friends Marlin 336 weighs 7.3lbs ready to go. How about twelve pounds fully loaded? Is that more reasonable?:n00b:

I guess my main "issue" with the AR family has been reliability with cheaper guns. . .Generally, not specifically; the AR in 5.56 I owned briefly ran from the get-go with zero malfunctions. Several others have not. Does the 7.62 (x39 or x51) have any effect on reliability? It sure does on price; particularly the 7.62x51.;)

As far as the AR platform selection, i was looking at these POF USA - Patriot Ordnance Factory National Stocking Dealer | P308-14-MRR-308-CARBINE but slap an ACOG on there (best for the best, right?) and I'm looking at 3k! Unless I get a new job (Sept., cross your fingers) there is NO way I can put out that kinda cash. . . Marlin 336 (used) + Micro H-1 + Scout rail + XS sights = ~$800

So now that my true colors have been exposed (weight-conscious cheapskate) do your suggestions stand?

Last edited:

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    You can get a DS Arms 16 inch .308 carbine for around $1000 through online dealers and it will come in right at 10 lbs unloaded. Not sure what the weight will be with a loaded 20 round mag. These are built on an Austrian parts kit, are completely good to go and upgradable with DSA parts if you ever need to scratch that itch.
    FAL STG58 Austrian-D S Arms

Not sure what else in the .308/7.62 platform will be much lighter other than an AR type platform. If price is a major concern, DPMS builds a good rifle for a good price. Here is a link to their .308 DPMS Panther Sportical 7.62 NATO for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $914.00 The AR is not going to be as "tough" as the FAL, but it is cheaper and easy to work on and upgrade.

The other option in my mind would be an AK. Nothing I can say about those that has not already been said and it is hard to go wrong with one.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Well, I'm down to an AK or 30-30 levergun. . .
    Funny you mention this. I shot both side to side this week. The 30-30 was fun to shoot and accurate. I was also surprised by the weight, heavier than it looks. I love the cowboy guns, But if your talkin a battle rifle to me there was no comparison.

The AK I was shooting an Arsenal SR95. It's a milled receiver, Tapco furniture, red dot scope on forward scout mount. Awesome rifle. I achieved 4" group at 100 yards. Also 7" group at 200. Acceptable accuracy for me. Your mileage may vary.

You can get an Arsenal AK new for around 800 or less. Hope this helps. Good luck on your purchase.:ingo:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    So the arguments against the 30/30 revolve around mag capacity? What are common malfunctions that you have experienced?

Not just mag capacity but let's face it...lever guns are slow as molasses to reload as well.

A rifle that has not been discussed but can be found occasionally is the T-26 Garand clones in .308, this would fit the bill for what you are seeking as well.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    have you considered the Cetme/hk91/g3 style rifles, century offers them as prices comperable to low end AK's, they sell an FAL as well, im in the middle of deciding one of these for myself. centuries FALs are only like $6-700, i guess they may require tweaking or part replacement to run perfect, but that seems to often be the case with FAL's period. if you want an AK go with arsenal, ive only read good things for them, where as ive been burned buy the Wasr series and wouldnt risk throwing money away on another jamo-mat ak

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I had a century g3, just wasn't what I was looking for. Heavy suckers too. . . Thing ran like a champ, though. Little big too, I'm looking for something with a 16-18 inch barrel.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, handled a Mini-14 and a new Marlin today. The -14 didn't give anything up to the lever in the handling department. . . . How does the -30 compare? Accuracy with the -30? Mag availability?

If anyone has a higher end AK and a Mini-30 to share, I'll buy lunch and ammo. . . .

Last edited:

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    Have you looked at a Saiga .308? You can get a 16.3" or a 21.8" barrel on one, and then if you want, do the conversion to add a pistol grip.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    On the Mini, people either love them or hate them. Good mags are hard to come by. Do a little research. MY opinion is that an AK will do everything a Mini will only cheaper. ...........:@ya:...Duce<><

Top Bottom