So, raising the debt limit does not increase our debt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Yes, BHO actually said that. The why does it need to be raised if not to allow more debt to be created? How stupid do these people think we are?

drunkdriving.jpg

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Just like raising the limit on my credit card doesn't mean that I'll be more in debt. Of course, I can restrain my spending and Washington seems incapable of doing so.
    So, the practical answer is: yes, raising the debt limit will result in more federal debt.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Just like raising the limit on my credit card doesn't mean that I'll be more in debt. Of course, I can restrain my spending and Washington seems incapable of doing so.
    So, the practical answer is: yes, raising the debt limit will result in more federal debt.

So everyone who gets a raise on their credit card limit maxes it out? Wanna tell that to my aunt who has a perfect credit score? Surely she's doing something wrong then.

Obama was technically correct -- it DOESN'T mean it would increase our debt. Practically, sure, it will...but that's not his choice. Congress sets the budget. He just gets a set of numbers that say "here, spend this" and he does.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    So everyone who gets a raise on their credit card limit maxes it out? Wanna tell that to my aunt who has a perfect credit score? Surely she's doing something wrong then.

Obama was technically correct -- it DOESN'T mean it would increase our debt. Practically, sure, it will...but that's not his choice. Congress sets the budget. He just gets a set of numbers that say "here, spend this" and he does.

Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say that everyone who gets an increase in credit limit will spend that extra money. I said that Washington would.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say that everyone who gets an increase in credit limit will spend that extra money. I said that Washington would.

It still doesn't make what Obama said untrue. It all comes from Congress.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Ok, I'll try this again.

114.gif

Gems.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

:orly:

You should write the Washington Post

I'm sure they'd love to correct their graphic with your insights.

:rolleyes:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Streak, its not the fact that you are a liberal that makes people crazy. Its the fact that you say stuff that make no sense. Put the kool-aid down, you've had too much already.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    :orly:

You should write the Washington Post

I'm sure they'd love to correct their graphic with your insights.

:rolleyes:

Did you not read your link? Congress sets the funding, it's in the Constitution...what the President does is send over a REQUEST. It's not law and it doesn't really matter, it's a courtesy that it gets considered. Perhaps you should do a little more research on a basic process of our Federal government. I'd start with reading the Constitution, if I were you.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    So then we agree, what Obama said is true.

Thank you for proving my point.

Pretty much the definition of taking things out of context. I wasn't commenting on Obama one way or the other. I did comment on your lack of ability to interpret the English language corrrectly. A pattern which you repeated here.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Streak, its not the fact that you are a liberal that makes people crazy. Its the fact that you say stuff that make no sense. Put the kool-aid down, you've had too much already.

It makes no sense if all you understand is what Rush Limbaugh or Fox News say. I'm sure if I listened to crap media all day I'd be pretty upset too when people tell me that sheep are white and the grass is green.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Did you not read your link? Congress sets the funding, it's in the Constitution...what the President does is send over a REQUEST. It's not law and it doesn't really matter, it's a courtesy that it gets considered. Perhaps you should do a little more research on a basic process of our Federal government. I'd start with reading the Constitution, if I were you.

You might try searching the word "veto".

He has a choice. It may be a tough one, but he has a choice.

You're amazingly condescending for one with so little attention to detail or ability to clearly articulate his thoughts. Are you rich, or something?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Sorry but increasing he debt limit does increase the debt. The government has already passed the legislation to spend more than it takes in but cannot do so unless the limit is raised. When Congress raises the limit the debt expands immediately to fill the void.

Debt to the government is more like a gas filling a sealed space. As soon as that space is expanded the debt increases to fill the void.

So our POTUS was being disingenuous with his BS statement. This isn't like a credit card that you or I have. It is our only means to stop the theft from our children but we will fail as all people have done in the past. If given the means to spend to infinity government will always ask for more. Our demise will be the same as many other formerly great nations before us. We will wither in debt and end up lashing out in war then be vanquished.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013

You're amazingly condescending for one with so little attention to detail or ability to clearly articulate his thoughts. Are you rich, or something?

I'm sorry, has he vetoed anything? Either way, even if he vetos anything, anyways, it goes back to Congress where it can be voted past his veto. Or are you thinking a pocket veto, which is not a pocket veto, and which bills of this type are exempt from because October 1st is too far out past the 10 day deadline (it'd become law automatically per the Constitution). It all goes back to Congress and even a Presidential veto can't override Congress if they worked together. It's a pretty simple concept.

And no, not rich, I just have studied this. You clearly haven't.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    ^^^^ This. one of the best examples I have seen.

Bogan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013

Not true. The guy makes more sense than all the other posters here combined, you just don't know it because you refuse to see beyond your nose.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Correct but don't forget that the President has the ability to veto the spending bill

^This!

2009 was the last time we technically had a budget that Congress passed and Obama signed it.
    He had a choice NOT to sign it but instead too the easy way out then.

He said back then "I am signing an imperfect omnibus bill because it's necessary for the ongoing functions of government," Obama declared. "But I also view this as a departure point for more far-reaching change."
    Obama signs massive, 'imperfect' spending bill - politics - White House | NBC News

He could have shown Congress that is 'was/is' Boss and vetoed it and told them NOT to spend more than what we are bring in but he did not.

Since then he has gone along with Congress by signing continuing resolutions and a debt ceiling increase each time it's been presented to him.
    Each of those he could have vetoed and force congress to either overrule him or submit a budget and or spend within their means.
    He has not.

Top Bottom