• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Bottom line, I think the "grips will ease recoil" statements are bogus. Nothing short of lighter loads will change perceived recoil but a heavier frame and longer barrel. It might offer an initial bit of cush...but for any length of range time, forget it.
    Don't take my word for it...I've only got a 637.

OP, your frame is as light and short as they come...
    My advice to you is if it's uncomfortable AT ALL, you will not shoot it to practice.
    If you do not shoot it, you will not become proficient with it.
    With a lack of proficiency comes deadly consequences in SHTF scenarios.
    If you can only afford one gun, I say sell this and get yourself something that you ENJOY shooting. Practice breeds proficiency...make it your carry.
    If you have a good idea what you'd like to try, take up the offer of anyone that volunteers theirs for you to evaluate.
    Also, when you're shopping around, don't just pick something because others have endorsed a brand or owned one. Start from what feels good in your own hand. You wouldn't buy a pair of Ryka sneakers without trying them on, just because I said I own a pair and they're the best. Don't shop for a handgun that way either. Try them all on for size.
    </bossy post>

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A few months ago I got a S&W 638 as my first handgun. I selected it for how lightweight it is (and thus how easy it would be to carry) and its size (it fits my hands comfortably). However, after taking it to the range a couple times, I've discovered that it kicks way too much for me. Last time I went to the range, I shot off 50 .38 spc (not even the +P rounds) and my right hand ached something terrible through the next day. That same day I even tested out my dad's new Taurus Judge and we both agreed that that had notably less recoil. No more lightweight snub nosed revolvers for me . . .

I'm sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way.

Lightweight .38 snubbies are not suitable for inexperienced shooters, nor are they suitable for someone's only gun.

Unfortunately you can't get something for nothing. If you want a gun that you can actually tolerate shooting enough to practice effectively, it's going to have to be bigger and heavier.

If you want to stick with a revolver, I'd go with a Ruger SP101, which is not much bigger than your 638, but it's a significantly heavier chunk of stainless steel and virtually indestructible. Even better, go with a Ruger GP100 or a S&W 19, 65, 66, or 686 (any of them with a four inch barrel). They're more challenging to carry, but better choices for actually shooting.

The options for self-loaders are many. Avoid the temptation to get something tiny because it feels good in your hand and it would be easy to carry. You'll have the same issues you had with the 638.

nikoteo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Evansville, IN
    Thanks for all the great feedback.

Ultimately, I do agree with JetGirl that unless I get a more comfortable gun, I'm probably not going to practice with it as much as I should, which is certainly a problem if I want to rely on it to protect me. I made a newbie mistake obviously and chose a gun I wasn't ready for. I could in theory keep it in the hopes of one day getting used to it and buy a second gun, but with money being tight it could be a long while before that happens (besides, it is possible that even down the road I may not enjoy shooting 638). Selling it/trading it really does seem the best solution for me right now. I'll check around and see what my options are locally.

Again, I really do appreciate everyone's feedback.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    nikoteo-

I mean no offense by this post...and intend it as perspective and addition to the great advice you've already been given.

My wife has and shoots a .38 snubbie, and is about as far from a "gun person" as they come. Meaning that she's not been shooting all her life since she was a little kid like many of us have, and she doesn't head to the range every weekend to practice.

However, she is fine with the recoil and with shooting it. We spend a lot of time working on getting her comfortable with the grip of her hand on the pistol to both help with the recoil, and to also help ensure she is on target.

Perhaps some more range time with a fairly experienced shooter can help work on you grip technique and get you more comfortable with the gun. Your comments around accuracy suggest that you may be flinching or anticipating the recoil and thus not hitting the POI.

A .38 snubbie is a great addition to anyone's arsenal, and a good carry option especially in the summertime.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Something else to think about:

Perhaps your grip isn't the best for that revolver.

Can't hold them like you do a semi-auto.

For me, I have a model 642. And you're right, it's not comfortable to shoot. Especially so with +p defensive rounds.

But you know what? I don't mind. I don't mind because this gun is light and very easy to conceal. Which means that it goes with me more often and into more places than my 9mm pistol does.

I'd suggest that you keep it. And if you want, get a G19 (or an M&P!!); something larger and more comfortable to plink with at the range.

The airweight revolvers: carry often and shoot little.

-J-

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Nikoteo - my advice would be keep the gun if you can afford to keep it while purchasing another gun. If you can do it this way then after some time if you still want to sell it you can with no regrets. If you can't afford to keep it and buy another gun then by all means, try some other guns, find one you like and can shoot, sell or trade the 638 to get the one you want.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    +1 for Rhino's post

I had a S&W scandium / titanium .357 that was marketed as "the lightest .357 made"; that was both it's largest asset and largest liability. It was a pleasure to carry, but a bear to shoot, even with .38's.

If you can sell / trade your gun on INGO for a plastic pistol in 9mm, that'd probably be your best bet. I typically recommend something in the Glock, XD, or M&P families because they are typically reliable, and affordable carry guns. If you find one you like, you may be able to find a good trade on INGO, and then not be out any money!

Also, thanks to everybody for the constructive help for a new guy; it's great to be part of a community of people who just want to help promote the shooting sports in a positive way.

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Fellow Airweight Owner

Hello, many fine folks with great advice. I have owned a Smith Mod. 38 Airweight revolver for ages. Mine being carbon/blued, alum/black anodized version, just a bit older, and no keylock. My advice would be to keep it. I am with the crowd that says more practice is needed. Step down to standard pressure and nothing +P. Still a handful to shoot, but packs plenty of punch. This is a firearm that can be carried almost anytime, and still provide some reasonable protection. Mine is my EDC, I shoot it twice weekly, 10rds. each time as I always practice a reload. My reasoning is that if money is tight, you need to stick with what you've got, cause to ditch it you will surely lose money. I also own a G19, very concealable, but not so much as the Chief.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I don't understand how you guys can honestly recommend someone to carry something they're unable to practice with. Carrying something you're not proficient with is stupid, IMO.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Forgive my ignorance, but will the grips really make that much of a difference?
    Not any where near as much as having a gun you will train with.

Stress the fact this is your FIRST handgun and you are a novice. No one I know likes shooting a light weight revolver more then needed. You are not alone there. They train with other guns. Your gun is a light weight, have it with you when you need it, stick it in the ear & pull the trigger gun.

Not a good training/starter gun at all. I started my Mom on a Ruger SP101, she loves it. Reread Rhinos post and get somone to help you before you buy again.

You will be a better shot and that equals better prepared.

Maybe it is just me but if you can't shoot it at least 300-500 rounds in one session, you are not learning anything.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Agreed

I don't understand how you guys can honestly recommend someone to carry something they're unable to practice with. Carrying something you're not proficient with is stupid, IMO.

I agree and would add that practice with a carry gun should be at the distance at which it is most likely to be used............"Up close and personal". We usually shoot our carry guns at no more than 10 feet.

Top Bottom