• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm thinking about starting a personal business, maybe either guns or bakery/java shop...anybody have any experience? suggestions and advice would be appreciated...

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Don't go into debt to start it...if you don't have the capital to start it, either save up or find a silent partner for funding.

Don't grow faster than you can handle.
    Make a business plan and stick to it, keep it up to date.
    The less employees you have, the more profit YOU get to keep. The government loves you to have employees, as they tax you in all sorts of ways.
    Don't buy anything that you did not seek to purchase on your own, avoid solicitors at all costs.

Oh, and offer INGO members price discounts and free donuts.:D

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    Caleb - If you start anything that has to do with Firearms and Coffee, I'm behind you 100% and you'll get a lot of business from me. And seeing as you're located not too far down the road.... Yeah... I'm anticipating this greatly.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Caleb - If you start anything that has to do with Firearms and Coffee, I'm behind you 100% and you'll get a lot of business from me. And seeing as you're located not too far down the road.... Yeah... I'm anticipating this greatly.

That's good to hear....unfortunately I don't have capital in hand, is it possible to work out of the home to help out? Keep the suggestion going, I'm serious about this.

twocoughs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    Along Hiway 1
    I owened a bar for ten years. No extra $ to pay for help, my wife and I worked 18 hrs. a day to make it. What a pain, Lost about 10 grand when I sold it and was happy.
    Don't depend on other people to make your living.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    That's good to hear....unfortunately I don't have capital in hand, is it possible to work out of the home to help out? Keep the suggestion going, I'm serious about this.

It is very possible to work out of your home...my printing business I had for 7 years was started in my basement and ran it that way for the first 3 years. I worked the first year and a half without drawing any pay from it, but eventually was able to pay myself enough to cover my living expenses. On our third year, we grossed over $326k, but only about $47k was actual profit after expenses including payroll. UPS was picking up at my house everyday around 5pm and had to use a dolly because we had so much going out. I usually had about 8 carton sized boxes full of trash that I set out with our regular trash each week and was surprised they always picked it all up without ever causing an issue. We never had any of our neighbors complain about our operation, so we didn't have to worry about that either. I've heard that if you get neighbors complaining about traffic and whatnot, you can be forced to shutdown or move your business to a business location. After we moved into lease space and hired employees to grow, our profit went down to ZERO and never recovered once the market went south.

I am starting over with another venture in my basement similar to my previous, except this one is on an all cash basis, meaning if I don't have it to spend, it doesn't get purchased.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Watch out around Columbus,the local bakery just went out of business after about 20+ years. The thing to remember is you are going to do all the work,long days. Wife and I did it for some time close to Columbus. Bakery and Catering. Made lots of money,didn't have time to spend it. The other thing is get an accountant. State taxes could get you in a pickle if not handled correctly. And the last piece of advice,location,location,location.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    And you don't have to spend a fortune, but don't forget about marketing. If you don't tell people you exist and find some way to make them remember you, you'll never have any business. When [not if] you make a website, keep the information current, fresh, and relevant.

Top Bottom