• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I usually don't enjoy invoking his name, but as you stated, that's his advice and he's absolutely correct. He sees hundreds of thousands if not millions of rounds going downrange each year, so he knows.

Louis Awerbuck also recommends keeping the bolt and carrier wet. In fact, if someone fails to heed this and has trouble, he has been known to make everyone get in line while he goes from student to student squirting lube on their bolt carrier.

I've never cleaned an AR during a class (suprised? :D), but I do usually add lube at the end of the day before I pack the rifle into its case. For what it's worth, I use either FP-10 or its successor, WeaponShield on my rifles, but any decent quality CLP or oil will work as long as you keep it wet.

Slight hijack here, but I LOVE WeaponShield on my Bersa. I have tried several different lubes in the last year, and WeaponShield is the first one that I can FEEL a difference with...

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I was taught in Armorers class wet for storage, dry to fire. I haveshoot in the most extreme enviroments(-45 in Alaska, +120 in Iraq). Keep the rifle dry when shooting, never had a problem in any envrioment. It is OK to add a little lube, but it will fuction better dry.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    AR's - FN/FAL - Suomi - Papashaw - etc get a liberal dose of Mobil 1
    H&K P7M8 - 1911 - CZ 52 - Kel Tec P9 red lithium grease on rails and very light coat on barrel
    Revolvers get red lithium on contact/bearing surfaces
    Bolt and lever guns very light Rem Oil on action parts, bolts and such
    Shotgun same as bolt gun except 1100 which gets Mobil 1 with a slightly heavier application on mag tube
    Glocks get very light lithium on rail guides

All trigger parts get a very thin application of Strayer Tripp Trigger Slick

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I just use Breakfree. Spray it down and wipe off the excess, whatever I'm shooting.

The biggest concerns I have revolve around my carry guns. I do not want any penetrating oil to get into the primers, so I do make sure the 1911 and the LCP are relatively dry.

The SKS really doesn't need lube, not that I've found anyway, but I still do a light layer of grease on the bolt and carrier, and a bit of oil on the piston and operating rod.

The blowback Camp Carbine .45acp doesn't seem to mind running dry, but I keep it as wet as I can without it running into the magazine.

The bolt guns don't get lubed a whole lot. I've just never seen the need.

Certain other guns I don't own (AR etc) I would keep dripping. I just don't like the practice and have problems with guns that require this.

Josh

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    i mean pistols more than longuns. I shoot my daily carry(Beretta px4 storm subcompact)whenever i shoot. I also have a walther P22 and a Ruger P95. Thoughts?

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I use Amsoil synthetic oil on all my handguns and rifles. Nothing too heavy, I don't want them dripping all over me while I am shooting. I coat only the parts that rub metal to metal. Lube on anything else is just going to attract dirt and unburnt powder. If I don't get a chance to clean it between trips to the range I just add a little in the same spots. For most of us wet or dry or somewhere inbetween is not going to make too much of a difference. Just my :twocents:.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    man tyler i don't know how me and you see eye to eye on so much stuff but damn it we do. i have to say miltec is the best stuff lol i love it rub it in on the bolt carrier of your ar's and wipe of the excess. it actually soaks in kinda and will stop carbon from building up on the bolt carrier and bolt. literally pull it out and wipe it off your good to go. at multiple classes like mlarm we shot 10k a day and i never had a single problem with the above set up.

i am gonna have to say i would never no matter how much you payed me went out on patrol in iraq or afghanistan with my weapon dripping wet thats a sure fire way for a malfunction(not because its wet but because of the sand and grit that gets caught up in anything wet) and i was in tons of tic's and never had a jam. over in iraq it was miltec on my bolt and graphite on everything else and it was butter same in afghanistan. the dust storms and sand was off the charts and will get into every moving part and just cause drama if it can stick.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    hey Prometheus, i also clean all the :poop: out of my weapons on a daily basis when my life might depend on them, like a good Marine ought. :D this means my rifle and mg got wiped and scrubbed while overseas, and my carry pistols get seen to while i'm here. i usually use that remington teflon lube for my handguns, so i just use a soft paintbrush to get the lint and dust off/out of all the parts. with proper cleaning, even if its sandstorming, and you have used plenty of lube, a muzzle cap, and inserted a magazine, then closed your ejection port cover, you're gonna be good to go for quite some time.

Top Bottom