• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    So i'm at the range and i run into a firearms instructor i know and he takes one look at my autos and says "Dont you oil your autos?" i told him i use rem oil and wipe most off. I have a Beretta Px4 subcompact,Ruger p95 and a Walther P22. Advise on lube......

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Depends on the firearm!

Kahr, for example, likes "wet".

My understanding is that Glock likes "dry", so to speak.

-J-

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I live by wetter is better.

However, the more wet you keep them, the more often you will have to clean them. The oil tends to catch powder residue and other crud that you don't want to leave in your gun.

I have been using "shocker lube" (Dow33) which is designed for paintball guns that are running at 15 balls per second. It goes on as a slimy paste, and does an amazing job at staying slippery for a long time.

The heat on real firearms makes it last less long than it would on the bolt of a paintball marker, but you are also firing many fewer shots with a real firearm.

http://www.google.com/product_url?q=http://www.discountpaintball.com/product.asp%3Fitemid%3D3729&fr=AAn6u6U-Tkl4I1jQUfAP9kS6fiWuks5dy1elbMXYZauRNhsGVKsrW0yoiFSfATC9YBlihk2vjdr-qizkUH0IK8CGdVGrTmmSQ_EBxsOXmmQCIKmLVItLz42XRG9Ap9y2dkLE2C1wys7RAAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title&ei=xeO_S86WJ6DkNLnftKwD&ved=0CAkQgwgwADgA

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    when i shoot rifles, i like them sopping wet. before stepping out on patrols in iraq, my rifle would be literally dripping. (likewise MGS) but handguns i usually only put enough on to moisten the rails and corresponding channels they ride in.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Most of the guys on another forum I frequent recommend greasing rails and barrels. They also recommend oiling the trigger groups. Everyone has their favorite products. I just keep it simple and keep it wet. Rem oil is great, and wetter is better, but grease does a better job of cutting down on slide wear. I use both.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    when i shoot rifles, i like them sopping wet. before stepping out on patrols in iraq, my rifle would be literally dripping. (likewise MGS) but handguns i usually only put enough on to moisten the rails and corresponding channels they ride in.

and they wonder why so many malfunctions are reported... :rolleyes:

Modern weapons need very little lubrication. Less is more. The more lube, the more malfunctions.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    and they wonder why so many malfunctions are reported... :rolleyes:

Modern weapons need very little lubrication. Less is more. The more lube, the more malfunctions.

Seriously?

I can't address the conditions in Iraq or Afghanistan since I've been in neither place, but I know beyond a reasonable doubt that in the conditions we experience here in the good ol' US of A, AR-pattern weapons run better and longer with a bolt and carrier group that is "wet" with lubricant. In fact, a properly built AR will function indefinitely without cleaning as long as you keep it wet enough.

In fact, more AR malfunctions occur because of a dry bolt/carrier group than anything else, with the possible exception of magazine problems. If you fire enough rounds and witness enough rounds being fired by others, you'll realize that a dirty but wet AR will operated better and longer than a clean but "dry" AR.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Seriously?

Thats what the DI's preach, have them dripping wet...

Practically we see that the wetter something is, the more crap that sticks and doesn't exit the rifle. it becomes a magnet for crap.

Everyone has a preference but 99% of people weighting in on this only have their nice clean pristine range days where they fire a few magazines and proclaim "my XYZ fires ABC perfectly!"

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    I agree a little bit with both sides on this. On the one hand, I'm a less is more guy when it comes to oil. For most use, a drop or two in the right place will be perfect. Enough oil to satisfy your weapon without having a ton of gunk to clean out when your done. However, if you know you will be shooting all day long and putting hundreds of rounds downrange, a wetter weapon will be fine. You're gonna have to clean the :poop: out of it anyway. Even then, I probably wouldn't soak the bolt, I'd just add a bit more than I would for a casual range session or EDC. If you're talking about the range specifically, you can always add more any time you need it.

jeffers_mz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Pat Rogers says run them wet. Last I heard he was at 7500 and 12500 rounds thru his class guns, since any cleaning, without any issues. Good enough for me.

My babies run clean, wet, and flawlessly.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    High temp ball bearing grease on any parts that create friction - just a small drop or a very thin layer. I like it the more than rem oil because it doesn't get hot and burn off. I've put 2k rounds through my AR with grease on it before cleaning, and it was about as greasy as when I first put it on. Rem oil seems to burn off not long after application to me...Grease does attract dirt like a mofo though; but like others have said - if its lubed and dirty it will run better than just dirty.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I use wd-40 to clean my guns. I saturate them and wipe them with a rag, nothing fancy. I add a few drops of graphite (you young guys can google graphite to find out more, us old guys probable have a can or two laying around) to the moving parts and they are good to go. I have used this method for forty years with no problems, it works on wheelguns, 1911's and shotguns. On plastic framed pistols I would probably use soap and water for cleaning and lube with a little vegtable oil, if I ever buy a plastic framed pistol I'll let you know if my suggestion works.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I soak my Glock, usually overnight in a used motor oil, in the drain pan.
    It cycles well and never fails to go boom :D

EZ-OX once over inside and out. None in the firing pin hole (inside the bolt).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    pat rogers' advice is good enough for me.

I usually don't enjoy invoking his name, but as you stated, that's his advice and he's absolutely correct. He sees hundreds of thousands if not millions of rounds going downrange each year, so he knows.

Louis Awerbuck also recommends keeping the bolt and carrier wet. In fact, if someone fails to heed this and has trouble, he has been known to make everyone get in line while he goes from student to student squirting lube on their bolt carrier.

I've never cleaned an AR during a class (suprised? :D), but I do usually add lube at the end of the day before I pack the rifle into its case. For what it's worth, I use either FP-10 or its successor, WeaponShield on my rifles, but any decent quality CLP or oil will work as long as you keep it wet.

Top Bottom