• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    Thank you for taking out someone who could have robbed again. And thank you for sharing your story. I would love to hear your side of the story once the whole legal side has been closed.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Who knows if the OP can get a settlement out of this, but if I were one of the customers in the store that night, and found out that the back door had been broken that long, I would definitely be calling a lawyer.

Now this is interesting. Although the OP may not have a good case for wrongful termination, as the company does apparently have a no-weapons policy, perhaps he has a case against the company for placing his life in jeopardy to begin with. Does a company have a legal obligation to take reasonable steps to provide for the security of its employees?

All I know of the law is what I've seen on Law and Order (ha), but I wonder if a bank has ever been sued by a teller who was injured in a robbery, when reasonable security measures were not in place.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Given the "right to work" statute, they can fire you whenever for whatever, and being the owners they can make any assisine rules they want. I bet the 3mo. suspension was just to give the corp. lawyers time to decide if it would be safe to fire you.
    Giving them some bad media coverage sounds like it might be a good way to "set yourself apart" from other job seekers though!
    I'm going to call their corp. HQ and give them a hard time too. As for the outcome: your life or just a job? --no brainer. In the building trades it's been said "I was looking for a job when I found this one". Great job protecting yourself and co-workers, we need more like you. Good luck & G-d bless you.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I just sent this email:

I am writing to express my disapproval of the decision to terminate the employment of Mr. Michael Shaker from his Anderson, IN store. Mr. Shaker bravely defended the lives of the other employees and customers during an armed robbery attempt. It saddens me to think when the criminal is released from prison that your company would willingly serve him pizza while Mr. Shaker will forever have a black mark on his employment history for doing the right thing.

Shame on you.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    Given the "right to work" statute, they can fire you whenever for whatever, and being the owners they can make any assisine rules they want. I bet the 3mo. suspension was just to give the corp. lawyers time to decide if it would be safe to fire you

Not only that, but the media storm has subsided.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Regardless of the outcome, you did the right thing. As much as I love the bread sticks and watered down cheese sauce, I will never eat at any of there again.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    After three months(paid) of just waiting following my incident. I was finally called in for a meeting with my supervisors at 8am this morning. The person in charge showed up 30 minutes late to let me know she was "not going to drag this out." and that I was being terminated for failure to comply with their policy of weapon banning.

I had worked there for 8 years. I can't say as this was completely unexpected, as this is standard operating procedure for YUM! foods inc.(Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC). But, it sure shows the kind of attitude that many large companies have towards their indentured servants (aka wage slaves, aka employees)

I did drag it out just a little, because I felt like I needed a little more than "screw you, get out." (Hell, they got me out of bed at 8am for a meeting there had to be more to it.) I thought maybe severance pay of some sort or at least some sort of personal statement like "If I had the choice" or "I'm sorry there was nothing we could do." Or even just "Sorry." But, I was met with the cold eyes of someone whose only concern is for dollar signs and company profit.

Don't get me wrong everyone else in chain of command has a heart. This one not so much. (This is the same person when minimum wage was raised recently - no one got a pay increase, new hires and long time employees paid minimum wage side by side.)

Some high points of the 5 minute conversation.

She brought up safety. I responded that if safety was a concern someone would have been a little quicker on the back door that had been broken for months (It sure is fixed now.) Or there would be real security cameras instead of fake globes with nothing behind them (Actually, I know for fact that they were put there not to deter robbers, but rather to deter employees from eating product.)

I brought up severance pay. She responded I had already been paid while on suspension. I replied that had I known this was where it was going I would have used money to pursue other employment. She said "you're free to try unemployment and see if that helps."

I brought up the fact that everyone in the store could have been dead. Her reply? Everyone could be dead even though you had your gun. (Silent confused staring...)

My parting words - "I'm being punished for someone else commiting an armed robbery. Now, I'm going to struggle to feed my children. Have a nice life."
    Michael
    No matter which steps you make from here. My thoughts and prayers are with you. You assessed the situation and took action. I cannot judge you for the actions you took I have never been in your shoes. But if I was in the same situation I would have done the same as you. Keep your chin up I am sure a bigger and better job is in your future.:yesway::yesway:

nobody_special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    South Bend
    Sorry this happened to you,and i know what you're saying that everybody could be dead had it not been for your actions,who's to say that he wouldn't have gotten the money and then executed everybody..

But unfortunately Indiana being an employment at will state being that an employer can terminate you at any time for any reason your chances of suing are almost none,unless you were terminated for something that somebody else did and got away with it,or for reasons relating to sex,color,religion etc. an attorney most likely won't even touch it

As for suing for adequate security not quite sure what that would entail..An armed security guard at the door?,bullet resistant glass between the employees and the customers?
    The fake cameras were there as a deterrent and the courts would probably rule that as adequate,since the robber didn't know if they were real or not and obviously he didn't care.
    pizza hut didn't care about the money that was taken during the robbery,that's what insurance is for.

Mainly they are more worried about them being sued,
    and terminating the offending employee is how they head them off at the pass,they'll claim they didn't know you were armed and that they have terminated the offending employee and I think i'm at the point of just rambling on.

Last edited:

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just in case we needed another reason NOT to eat Pizza Hut "food".

[SIZE=+1]Good morning, boys and girls. Can you say:[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Polydimethylsiloxane?[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Polydimethylsiloxane is a substance that is manufactured by Dow Chemical and is primarily used in food-manufacturing factories as a de-foaming agent for commercial boilers.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Polydimethylsiloxane is not approved for use as a food additive, yet, Pizza Hut is using this silicone-based chemical as a stabilizer for cheese on its patented pizza products. Some of those pizzas go directly to your child's schools and are served at lunchtime.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]In order to preserve their frozen pizzas, Pizza Hut claims that their silicon emulsifier is a necessary preservative and emulsifier.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Although the package does not list its own secret formula, it does list "other additives" under the guise of this patent:[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Patent # 4894245[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]A review of the United States Patent Office website confirms this story that was first reported on page 5 of the February, 2006 issue of Pete Hardin's "Milkweed." The actual patent:[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]http://tinyurl.com/7d6t8[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]The following is included in the online patent:[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]"A silicone emulsifier (Dow Corning FG-10) is mixed with water to form a 0.05% emulsifier solution. This solution is sprayed on the frozen cheese granules at a rate of 1.75 parts of solution per 100 parts by weight of cheese."[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Our children are eating silicon in school cafeterias. Silicon is not an approved substance for human consumption. Neither is Polydimethylsiloxane, or formaldehyde which results as a byproduct when frozen silicone-sprayed pizza is subjected to heat. Polydimethylsiloxane breaks down into formaldehyde when subjected to heat in excess of 150 degrees centigrade. See:[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]http://www.itcilo.it/english/actrav/telearn/osh/ic/9016006.htm[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
    YUM! Formaldehyde is created at 302F. Pizza Hut cooks pizzas at 425-450F. :dunno:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hire a lawyer, sue them for failing to provide adequate security, since they have assumed the responsibility to do so by denying you the ability.

Seriously.

Their failure has caused you damages. Because of their failure, you are now out of a job. I'm absolutely certain you have suffered emotional pain and distress caused by their negligence, and will continue to for quite some time. They are liable for that.
    I don't think this will work.

Their security procedures PROBABLY state give away the cash so nobody is hurt. The reality of THIS PARTICULAR situation is that no employees or customers were hurt during the robbery and the bad guy was apparently leaving the store.

Further, they can easily argue that it was the employee's action of defending the store that caused the dismissal of the employee, not the actions of the company or the robber. Consequently they committed no failure and they are due to pay no monetary damages.

Now as for the emotional distress, to that I cannot speak but I'm not sure if that is grounds for a suit.

I am NOT a lawyer, but I was a rather large employer before I retired, this reply is JUST MY OPINION and not legal advice. However, I think the situation sucks. I'd have not fired an employee for this even if it was against the work rules (which are probably in place due to insurance company demands).

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Going to the liberal news media might be a mistake...they may turn it all around and say it's your fault...you knew the rules, especially if you worked there for 8 years. So you are taking a chance. On the other hand...it might not make much difference, because you will still have to explain to any potential new employer why you got fired from your last job.
    +1...for standing for you right to carry!

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    This makes me sick..A man saves not only his life but the life of others and this is the way he is treated..I am going to contact Pizza hut to let them know that my family will never purchase pizza from any of there stores.
    I would suggest you contact fox news. Let's see how Pizza hut likes that negatie publicity. I'm sure the other empolyes who were in the building with the BG are gratefull you were there with your side arm.

Again thankyou for your courage.

God Bless you.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Wishing the best for you, an hoping good things will come to you.
    You did what you felt right, perhaps in doing this, it was time to
    travel another road without that job. I hope that road leads you
    to much better things.

mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I don't think this will work.

Their security procedures PROBABLY state give away the cash so nobody is hurt. The reality of THIS PARTICULAR situation is that no employees or customers were hurt during the robbery and the bad guy was apparently leaving the store.

Further, they can easily argue that it was the employee's action of defending the store that caused the dismissal of the employee, not the actions of the company or the robber. Consequently they committed no failure and they are due to pay no monetary damages.

Now as for the emotional distress, to that I cannot speak but I'm not sure if that is grounds for a suit.

I am NOT a lawyer, but I was a rather large employer before I retired, this reply is JUST MY OPINION and not legal advice. However, I think the situation sucks. I'd have not fired an employee for this even if it was against the work rules (which are probably in place due to insurance company demands).

I agree with your opinions but for the sake of clarity.

The suspect was in no manner leaving, that is newspaper misinformation. When he encountered me, he had left the money in the front and was what I can only assume was "clearing" the back.

Top Bottom