• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Watch a lot of youtube videos on subjects like trapping, snaring, trotlines, how to clean game, skin, and preserve furs. Also, fire building, emergency shelters, all kind of things you can watch and then go try for yourself.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I'm talking more like bushcraft type survival. Where do I start looking for tips and ideas? Where would be a good place to practice bushcraft? I'm thinking of moving west after high school and I want to have practical knowledge that will help me whenever I get some land out there. I'm very interested in preserving animal hides and meat. I've never been hunting or skinned an animal so I'm pretty inexperienced in that field.

But I really want to learn everything I can. So if anyone knows of a good website to look at for tips and ideas on furthering my education I'd be much obliged. Personal advice and help here would be great too! I've learned some here but I'm talking dedicated websites. I want to learn everything and anything.

Bushcraftusa.com

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I'm sure you're aware by now that a tsunami of information is available online now that there IS an online. What is usable info, what should I spend time learning and all that are good questions. Get a library card and start searching for good books on the online library search. Then they ship the books to the library nearest you. There are some great books available to read.

Before the internet, I was into survivalism being that my house was in the woods. It came down to me trying to get lost in my woods, pick a spot and set up camp for the weekend as I had time to think about what would come in handy to have next time out. I practiced building traps, expedient shelter, observing nature, etc., etc. Those times of trial and error built a foundation to work from. If you want something bad enough, you immerse yourself into it.

Survival and surviving can have various meanings. Are you evading or do you WANT to be found? What I would suggest is to plan an overnight outing into the woods carrying only a very small pack if need be, or what you can fit in your pockets. Each outing will prioritize what goes in your pockets as you learn. DO NOT take a flashlight. You will find that your night vision will do just fine. You will need the confidence to travel at night under black out conditions. I'm not saying to go get lost in the woods and create a local search for a missing man catastrophe. People just don't know what to focus on when they're suddenly IN the situation.

Work on expedient temporary shelters. What can you get by with at the LEAST to protect you from the elements. In what ways can nature be re-purposed to benefit you? There is an art to re-purposing. I watched MacGyver as a teen and thought the show was cheesy, but it's premise on improvising and re-purposing items to benefit other needs was awesome. Now, when I'm walking the aisles of Lowes or some hardware store, I'm looking at each item to catalog it's existence in general as a possible part for something else to be needed in the future. I don't know, that's just how my mind works.

done typing for now.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    While there is plenty to learn online and from books, nothing beats hands-on practice. But, practicing with people who know what they are talking about is so much more valuable. Any ding dong can get a gun and kill a deer, but it sure is better to have the experience from start to finish with a veteran of the process.

I have long thought that a trained professional could make a pile of cash doing small sessions for $25/head on some of these topics; keep it simple...

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    My advice is to join the Guards. You will get all of the training you need to survive and will get paid for it, too. Once you get through Basic Training and get trained for your MOS, you will be able to practice one weekend per month and two weeks per year. There are many benefits, and you may find that you love the discipline of military life enough to make a career out of it. Definitely worth looking in to. Good luck, my friend...
    Thanks,
    Cujo71321

PV1 here. this was half the reason I joined the GUard. The other half, to continue American Tradition and serve the Constitution and its people. Plus at the Guard, you stay home, drill once a month as you are required to stay in shape, so no matter what its a win-win.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    OP - you seem to mean outdoor/wilderness survival. Just understand there are a bunch of categories form Urban to Wilderness to "I'm going to prison in 6 months" survival.

I agree with a lot of the above re: Dave Canteburry, Foxfire, BOSS. I would get Bradfor Angier's book "How to Live in the Woods" an old classic but still holds up. If you can attend a NOLS course, they are awesome and will give you a lot of confidence.

But most of all, Get Out and Practice! It is easier to buy equipment than to take a weekend and go out and do it. You don't want game day to be the day you are figuring out how to transfer your head-knowledge into reality.

hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    OP. there are lots of things that you can do to learn what will keep you alive and meet all your needs in the wilderness. Most of what you need wont cost a thing to learn. DanO mentioned that you need to practice, and I think that is great advice. I started in my back yard and learned to make a fire from a bow and drill. Then went out and learned to build an emergency shelter, set a snare and catch food, locate water and make a filter, etc. My approach was to focus on the basic needs of life first. Food, water, shelter, fire. Once I learned those things, then I started practicing things that will facilitate a rescue and return to civilization. The learning never stops. It becomes a lifestyle that is very satisfying and comforting. I know that what ever happens, I can keep my family and I safe and in decent health. I do dont fear the idea of whatever may happen, because I am prepared for it. I am no expert in any of the bush craft arts but I can survive. I applaud you for your efforts. Taking responsibility for your situation is one of the first steps in survival. Good on you!!

Top Bottom