• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    so i had a hernia today....doc was able to get it back in put still recomended i consult a surgeon.

so first does any one know of good surgeon in greenwood.

2nd what am i in for if i have to have surgury how bad is it?

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Hernia

Not as bad as the current political situation. Southside Surgical. Associated with St. Francis. Dr. Donald King did my hernia repair. Not the most fun I've ever had but certainly not the worst thing ever. It's an outpatient procedure but I'd suggest you plan on taking it real easy for a few days. There will be serious restrictions on how much weight you can lift for a while.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I had one when i was around 13 years old! out for a few days but all in all not too bad. It will depend on the severity of the herniation, but yeah consult a surgeon, the IU system will have someone very good.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Had hernia surgery twice. My experience is the older you are the more protracted the recovery time. The first double hernia surgery was when I was 30. The second single hernia surgery was at 45. The last one they put in a mesh. It might have helped but I know it's there 9 years later.
    MH

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It seems to have been covered pretty well already, but a good surgeon and mesh are your friends. Make sure that you have someone with you as operating pedals can put stresses on you that you don't need. Another concern is that the anesthetic can come back on you later as I found out after my surgery. I had been home for a while, went to take a whiz, zipped up, and passed on the way to the sink. Definitely not a good idea to be driving in such a condition. One other thing, speaking of driving. If you are going to be traveling in a car which is anything approaching low to the ground, take a folding chair. It is much easier to sit on the chair and maneuver yourself into the vehicle than trying to get in the usual way. Ditto for egress from the car.

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    I used the Naab Road surgery center. Definitely have someone drive you home and help you out. Do not underestimate the seriousness of this. You will be in serious pain and will not be able to do or feel like doing anything for awhile. Like others have said, get the mesh. I had a right inguinal hernia (intestines dropping into *******). They were able to do the surgery laparoscopically. Small incision in belly button and one on either side. Everything from there down will hurt afterward.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have had 4 done over the last 15 years. Both sides, left twice, they screwed it up, and one in navel.

I do not feel they are that bad. You will be down for several weeks. Do what the doc says and it will heal well.

Good luck, Don

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Lived with one I got skydiving for over 10 years because I didn't like the idea of surgery and antestehtic. Was an unnecessary painful nuisance. Had the orthoscopic(?) surgery with mesh done on both sides and there was no huge incision to heal. Get-er-done!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I second the Dr King recommendation. Great guy and surgeon. Leave the mesh/no mesh up to them. There can be serious downsides too. Good luck!

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    They are much better now that 18 years ago when I had mine. Still isn't going to be fun. Follow the directions they give. It does shorten recovery. Regular ice packs was a huge help to me. Oh yeah one more thing. They used to tell you to keep "regular". What they didn't tell me that the pain meds bound your insides like no tomorrow. That was not a fun afternoon.:noway: Good Luck

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Had mine fixed last Oct.
    Went pretty smooth. Was conventional, about a 2 1/2" incision.
    Was sore for the first week, but not nearly as much as I expected.
    Got a long fine with an ice pack and Ibuprofen.
    Don't put it off, it's only going to get worse.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    *** wrong forum mods please move**

so i had a hernia today....doc was able to get it back in put still recomended i consult a surgeon.

so first does any one know of good surgeon in greenwood.

2nd what am i in for if i have to have surgury how bad is it?

My dad has dad two hernia surgeries. The first was minor and was back to work in a week or so but the second was a tear and much worse. He was not supposed to get out of bed for the first two weeks and was off work for quite a while until it healed. Good Luck

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    thank you guys for all the information... ceritainly not what i wanted to be doing this week... i have a vacation planned to the dominican the 25th of may just hope i can make that still.

seems like a unanimus recomendation for doctor king. 3 people in the first page of responce.

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    I had one, 1 1/2 yrs. ago, it was out in about 5 hours & back home. Was off of work for 5 weeks. It was a very easy surgery. I had mine done in Lafayette.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    thank you guys for all the information... ceritainly not what i wanted to be doing this week... i have a vacation planned to the dominican the 25th of may just hope i can make that still.

seems like a unanimus recomendation for doctor king. 3 people in the first page of responce.

You should be well enough by then to enjoy the DR. It's an absolutely beautiful place - we had a blast on our honeymoon - other than the fact that it was freaking HOT in mid-July. :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom