• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Yeah, but every time someone sees 22 for $23+ for a box of 50, there's a new thread that says X store is raping people because they don't bother to see what type of 22 it is

Agreed. Through all this mess, the price of high-end .22 ammo like Eley and Lapua hasn't really changed. Makes it a little easier to plunk down .223 money for really good stuff when it's only $0.04 more than Remington bulk (yuck).

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have the same optic on my Remington 700, and I couldn't be happier with it. Not sure if you know this already, but do not use a tapered base with it. Its designed to sit in a flat one (M24), and has the "taper" built into it. Mine is in a set of Badger rings and zero cant base, and I've been extremely happy with that setup.

The caliber is going to be totally dependant on what you want to do with the rifle. I've found 308 to be the best all around caliber for my needs, and there are a bazillion commercially loaded types of ammo for it.

Savage makes a fine rifle, but I personally prefer the Remington. Totally a personal perferance, the Savages have always just felt a little cheap to me compared to a 700, model 70, or M77. The SPS models are pretty affordable, great shooters out of the box, and the aftermarket parts available for it are endless as you outgrow the OEM stuff. If you're more of the buy once / cry once type, the Police model is tough to beat. If you've got the cabbage, an M24 clone would super cool since you already have the correct optic for it. Also, check out the forums for used quality stuff, snipershide.com being the first to come to mind.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You and me both. If I didn't have my slush fund cash earmarked for some other things...:crying:

I went another direction to fill some empty slots in the cabinet. Now I am getting man wood for a swell bolt gun. I have a Rem. in .22-250 that is super for Varmint use. Now I would like another .308 beside the AR-10.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I went another direction to fill some empty slots in the cabinet. Now I am getting man wood for a swell bolt gun. I have a Rem. in .22-250 that is super for Varmint use. Now I would like another .308 beside the AR-10.

PTR91? I have the A3R and am quite happy with it. I ran a lot of tests on these in Germany back in the '70's (HK91 / G3) and was very impressed with both accuracy and reliability.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    PTR91? I have the A3R and am quite happy with it. I ran a lot of tests on these in Germany back in the '70's (HK91 / G3) and was very impressed with both accuracy and reliability.

Had one. Nice piece and a definite hoot to shoot. Looking for something along the lines of the gun AllenM posted up.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    How about a .243 or a 7mm-08 (or even a 260)
    ALL are adaptations of the 308 case but give better performance with "heavy-for-caliber" bullets.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The .223 is routinely overlooked for target shooting in the 100-500 yard ranges. We shoot a lot of .223 (not 5.56) at those distances on a variety of targets as well as prairie dogs. We shot my Savage LRPV (1:9) at 800 with about 50% hits on a steel woodchuck shooting Hornady 68 gr BTHP. The scope mount was a bigger issue than the round. Holding several feet above the intended target when you run out of elevation isn't conducive to great results. If you're going to limit yourself to 55 gr bullets you may not do as well. If you should decide to go with .223, make sure you get a twist of 1:9 or faster. A 30 caliber will certainly work but is not necessary for success at the ranges you mention.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Well, Id probably be fine with the performance of 223 at the ranges I will be shooting it, but I sure would like a larger boom... Its gonna be a fun gun, Im not gonna hunt with it, and 300 winmag ammo is probably more than I want to pay for it. I think 308 will give me that nice boom, and good performance, while not costing too much.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, Id probably be fine with the performance of 223 at the ranges I will be shooting it, but I sure would like a larger boom... Its gonna be a fun gun, Im not gonna hunt with it, and 300 winmag ammo is probably more than I want to pay for it. I think 308 will give me that nice boom, and good performance, while not costing too much.

Avg. 80 cents a round for the cheap stuff.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Avg. 80 cents a round for the cheap stuff.

Thats why I've officially sold all of my 308s. For fun at the range, it's 223/556 now. I just can't afford a $100+ bill for plinking with 308. I wish I could still find the stuff for $0.40 a round.

OP, if I were you, I'd go 223. It's cheap, easy to find, there's tons of reloading or factory ammunition options, you'll be able to shoot more before becoming fatigued, and it'll shoot out to your intended distances. It's really the best "fun gun" round out there for semi autos and bolt guns.

An additional bonus is that it's a good coyote and varmint round. You can't currently hunt much other than coyote with a rifle in Indiana, so if you ever go on a coyote hunt, you'll be good to go with the 223.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I am flush with semi-auto pieces.
    HHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm......Mauser..........:scratch:

1895 Mauser chambered in 7.62 NATO. I bought it for a song in the military configuration, the stock was trash but the hardware was just fine so I cleaned it up and put in on a nice piece of walnut from Boyds.

Top Bottom