• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    I decided to take my GSG 1911 down the the frame for the first time. Did anyone else take a long time to get the sear spring in the correct position so everything worked? First time I got it back together the hammer would not cock, then the grip safety didn't funtion. Finally after like an hr I got it back together and it all worked. Anyone else have issues the first time tearing down their 1911 w/o any help from a knowledgeable fellow 1911 enthusiast?

I mainly did this as a learning experience and I tried not to wipe to much of the grease off of the internals as I do not have any grease handy to re-lube. What is a good grease to use on the internals to replace what came from the factory, to me it looked/smelled like a white lithium grease but I may be wrong.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Happens to everyone.. Lay the sear spring and slide the mainspring housing in just far enough to hold the bottom of the sear spring in place.. Then install the hammer and finish reassembly.. That usually does the trick.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Happens to everyone.. Lay the sear spring and slide the mainspring housing in just far enough to hold the bottom of the sear spring in place.. Then install the hammer and finish reassembly.. That usually does the trick.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

And remember....hold your mouth just right.........:):

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I had issues the first time. Then i took it apart about 4 more times for practice. It is not to bad after the first time. and you learn a lot while doing it! Churchmouse has it down pat. that is also how I do mine. I have reassemble a few that have come in bags for friends that have not been able to get them back together.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes years ago, spent many an hour with my .45's. That was back in the day (BG) before Glock. Now those puppies are easy to detail strip and put back together.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    It wasnt too bad. If I hadnt dealt with a 1911 before it would have been much harder. The manual has a very detailed diagram that helps alot. I like that it is so like a 1911 partswise.

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I disassembled mine today and had the slide locked up for a bit, scared the heck out of me. I finally got it it apart. I will need to do this a few more times before I am comfortable field stripping them, being that I am a 1911 noob.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Another tip...that spring-detent hoodad on the left side of the frame is a heckuva lot easier to get back in correctly, when you remove the left grip panel. You have room to put a flat-bladed screwdriver in there against it and hold it all in place, while swinging the safety up into position into the frame hole.

You probably knew that. Well, it took me a couple times to figure it out...

Top Bottom