• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Well, I sent of the paperwork and check for a Ruger AC556 13" folder on Friday. Will be my 2nd machine gun, and can't wait for it. But its on a Form 4 out of state, so its gonna be a while until I even see it, let alone take possession of it. While I have all this time waiting, I'm gonna start buying some accessories for it. That's where I need your help. Right now I have plans for a .22 conversion kit, and of course mags. Anything else I should consider? What .22 kit should I be looking for? I assume I'm gonna want factory mags, any aftermarket ones any good? Thanks for any help. Here are some pics, because everyone like a machine gun, right? :rockwoot:

L_AC556.jpg

R_AC556.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Ciener is the only one who makes a .22 kit. If you buy a used one, make sure that the chamber adaptor is new enough to have a feed ramp on it. Black Dog makes .22 mags for it and the later ones are getting good reviews. Factory mags are best, but the now out of business PMI made decent mags. Mine was from out of state as well, so I too had lots of time to gather stuff up. I would ask about Mini-14 mags at pretty much any gunshop I went to and have had very good luck with mine feeding from any and all aftermarket mags. I've got three or four 40's a bunch of 30's and 20's and even a 15 rounder! I've got three factory 30's and they just feel better than the aftermarket ones. I modified an ATI stock for mine so I could have a VFG on it. The factory folders are unobtainable and are bringing $400 and up right now! So, I shoot mine mostly with the aftermarket stock on it. It was a tos up between the ATI and the Tapco. Figured if Ruger put an ATI on teh Mini-14 it was good enough for my AC556!

You'll probably find that after the first couple of magazines teh 3-round burst is worthless. It's not really, but it fired so slow, it's easy to get triples, doubles and even singles out of them. Wolf ammo works fin in mine, as long as it's the black box stuff. The Military Classic or whatever it's called, in the camo boxes, isn't strong enough for 100%. I'd get three or four rounds, then the bolt would close on an empty chamber. You can get an adjustable gas nut for them, but I ended up selling off my stockpile of Wolf and buying brass cased stuff. I still need to find the minimum powder charge that will provde 100% reliability. I've got a couple thousand 55gr fmj's and CCI military primers set back for it. That's another thing, stick with 55 gr bullets. We were out shooting mine a few weeks back and some bullets were hitting the target sideways. Ended up that we got some 69's mixed in. Not a big deal for blasting, but if you get a can on it, that could spell trouble!

here's a little montage of the first time we had mine out last spring.

YouTube - AC-556 First Range Trip_0001.wmv

Ask any questions you've got, I'll try to help. Might also look over the AC556/Mini-14 board on UZITalk.com

Doug K

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Thanks Slow Hand for your post. I like your idea about the factory stock. I'll probably take that off and get something else for shooting. Black Dog has the Ceiner kits in stock and it come with 2 of their mags, so I might just order one from them, they have kits for my UZI too, so I can order from one place. I'll probably just get some factory mags from CDNN. They have 20's for $25 and 30's for $30. I am also thinking about a recoil buffer from Buffer Tech.

Buffer Tech - RUGER&reg, MINI-14/30

I've heard the 3 round burst is good for the .22 kit, because it cycles at around 1300 round per minute. Can you confirm that? Thanks.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I would definately go with 30's over 20's At least a 3:1 ratio.

Even the stocks like the Butler Creeks are pretty cool, just not as modern and 'tacticool'! Some cool ideas here: http://www.m60joe.com/

Of course there's the ultimate in cool stocks: Clyde Armory?s SCAR-Stock

And yes, the .22 conversion is very fast! If you watch the video above, at about 0:27-0:33 that's me firing it on three round burst with the .22 kit.

The video goes
    1: Tom shooting .223 on three round
    2: Tom .223 mag dump full auto
    3: Me on full auto .223
    4: Me .22 LR on three round burst
    5: Tom .22 LR on three round burst
    6: 'Gun Cam' .22 LR Full auto mag dump, yep, that's 30 rounds!!

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Little update and another question.

Well I got in a Ceiner .22LR kit and 4 BDM mags, so I'll be ready for cheap blasting. Gotta make a thread adapter so I can mount up my YHM Mite for suppressed fun. :rockwoot: And I got some factory 20 and 30 round mags, so I am ready. Now if the gun would only get here so I can start the paperwork. :xmad:

Question for anyone that might now. I want to take off the factory folding stock since they seem to be pretty valuable. I am thinking about getting a cheaper side folding stock, maybe a Butler Creek? Has anybody bought one for a Mini-14 and cut it out for an AC556? I assume it can be done. Thanks.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I can be done (the stock) easy way is to send it to M60 Joe, http://www.m60joe.com/

Almost as easy was is to do it yourself. I used a cheap two way vice on a drill press, but you could just about do it with a Dremel. I just kind of eyeballed and test fit until it worked. I tried to take measurements, but is hard to find solid spots to measure and lines aren't paralell, etc.

I ended up going with the ATI stock. It was a toss up between it and the Tapco. I'm happy with the ATI and now that Ruger puts them on the Mini's it makes me feel better about my choice. I mainly wanted a rail for a VFG and wasn't going to go drilling holes in the $600 factory folder!

Here are a few pics of mine

GunPics004-1.jpg

GunPics005-1.jpg

You can see more here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/6284-official_nfa_pic_thread-5.html#post459832

As you can see, SEI makes a Vortex to fit and it's actually a bit cheaper than most other Vortexes, Vortecies, Vortici, Vorti? Well, anywhas, I think it look cooler with the evil black stock!

Of course, the ultimate bad ass stock for the AC is the SCAR stock from Clyde's Armory. Every time I've got a spare several hundred dollars (not very often) I seem to find something else to spend it on!

Clyde Armory?s SCAR-Stock

I'm still sorting out some issues with my Ceiner kit. I finally got a newer style chamber adaptor with a feed ramp and it feeds fine now, but I think I"m experiencing bolt bounce. I need to take it out and play with it some; maybe tomorrow. Anyways, it seems to work fine in semi auto and 3 round burst, but in full auto, it'll fire 4-12 or so rounds then stop. I was in a hurry with it last time, so I just racked the bolt and went on. Maybe I can spend some time with it soon and try to really figure out what's up. It is a lot of fun with the .22 kit, but it's very fast! Like upwards of 1200 rpm fast! Some guys were messing with putting like an ounce of lead on the bolt handle and it slowed it down to near 900 or so RPM. .223 is around 750, so it's very controllable. I don't even like to use the 3 round brust in .223, beacause I have kind of an 'auto double tap' where I normally get two rounds out of a quick trigger pull. You have to be pretty quick to get singles and you really have to pull and pause to get more than two!

Those factory mags will be about the best investment you can make on an AC556!

Doug K

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Thanks Doug. That gives me some ideas. I work in a machine shop, so cutting out a stock is no problem for me. I kinda like the look of that ATI stock. Do they make them for the AC or just the Mini?

I don't know if my .22 kit is the newest design or not. I bought it from Black Dog Machine, so I assume what he has are newer.

A guy I work with, who also bought an AC, called and talked to Kevin and he's gonna make us up some AC towers for the BDM 50 round drum, so that should be fun.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Thanks Doug. That gives me some ideas. I work in a machine shop, so cutting out a stock is no problem for me. I kinda like the look of that ATI stock. Do they make them for the AC or just the Mini?

I don't know if my .22 kit is the newest design or not. I bought it from Black Dog Machine, so I assume what he has are newer.

A guy I work with, who also bought an AC, called and talked to Kevin and he's gonna make us up some AC towers for the BDM 50 round drum, so that should be fun.

Yeah, if you work in a machine shop, the stock will be no problem. Just measure and fit off of your old stock/action and you'll be set. Far as I know, the SCAR stock is the only stock made to fit both/either teh Mini and AC.

My kit was an older one from an estate. Never opened, but probably 20 years old! The foam inside the case had all disentegrated! i believe the newer boxes are moulded to fit all the parts. If you've got a feed ramp at all, yours is the better style.

Not the best pic, but I don't have one myself. New style on the left, old style on teh right
    7a02aca7.jpg

I was holding off to get a 50 round drum until Kevin had started making AC feed towers. He's posted how he's modified teh M-16 drums, but not having a real machine set up, I didn't want to chance messing one up. If he's going to offer one, I just got a lot more interested!!

Doug K

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Mine looks like the left one, and came in a black plastic case molded for the parts like you mentioned, so I think I'm good to go.

I think Kevin is planning on selling us some towers he modifies, and not new molded ones. Depending on how much he wants for them, I might just buy an AR tower and modify it myself.

Thanks again Doug for all the help. I tried to Rep you, but it won't let me.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Congrats! So now you have to transfer it again correct?

Right. This was the out of state Form 4 to the local dealer. That's the down side of buying from a private individual out of state. The up side is I got, I feel, a pretty good deal on it.

mp40gunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Rushville, Indiana
    I had the exact same weapon except stainless with the Ceiner kit. The 556 was great to shoot in 223 or 22 and always ran great. It is the only Class3 that I have ever got rid of that I would like to have back. The guy I sold it to still has it in Kentucky.

I got rid of the KAC556F to get my MP44. I love the Sturm but I still miss the Ruger sometimes. The Ruger was my third NFA weapon and purchased back in 93 or 94. Of course I was an A Team fan which is the whole reason I bought it to begin with.

Enjoy

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    I am looking forward to shooting it. A co-worker bought one also, so we might have to have dueling AC's. Ha Ha!

Forgot to update. It came into 21st Century on Monday. Looks almost new, barely any wear. Came in the original box with original manual, 5rd, 20rd, and 30rd factory mags. I had to laugh when I seen the 5rd. Probably won't be too useful.

Top Bottom