• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I wasn't going to cave, but work told me my 1911 won't cut it thanks to single action. So I went to the 1500 and got a 21gen 3 with trijicons, 3 highcaps, and from what the Glock docs said, very low roind country (thanks to being an LE gun) for 230. After hearing all the pros and how they are pretty much indestructible I have two questions:

Are they really, and how do they like steel cased ammo?

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I wasn't going to cave, but work told me my 1911 won't cut it thanks to single action. So I went to the 1500 and got a 21gen 3 with trijicons, 3 highcaps, and from what the Glock docs said, very low roind country (thanks to being an LE gun) for 230. After hearing all the pros and how they are pretty much indestructible I have two questions:

Are they really, and how do they like steel cased ammo?

I'm sorry. I thought you said $230? For $230, I'd have bought every one they had.

They're great guns. About as indestructible as you can get and I've fed 2000+ rounds of steel case with no issues. In fact, my G17 has never had a failure and I've got about 10,000 rounds through it...

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    A Glock will eat anything you put in it. I've shot blazer and anything that is on sale or I can get.

As for USPSA I started shooting the Federal, not overly expensive but a nice round that will meet all the Power Factor requirements.

Over 2000 rounds through this weapon and only 1 real cleaning, the first one to get all of the packing stuff out of it. Other than that just a wipe down of the outside of the slide and frame so I don't get my cloths dirty for the EDC. Out of all of that I've only had 1 FTE and I wasn't shooting it, I let my brother shoot it who is not familiar with handguns and I think he just limp wristed it.

You are going get a bunch of different thoughts on the Glock...but I bought my first one back in 1991 over the then new Smith 5906. Never looked back and I've shot a bunch of different pistols.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    $230?

I must call a proof, or it didn't happen here...! $230 gets you a short way in the firearms game. If you've picked up a Glock 21 Gen3 for $230 I would have assumed it was likely an expensive Airsoft gun!

Welcome to the GLOCK game!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Love my Glock 21. A Shade over 2 1/2 years old and over 5,000 rounds through it of all shapes and bullet weights. My IDPA gun along with my M&P45 and it honestly has never, in over 2 1/2 years, ever let me down. Cold, heat, sweat, blood, dry, wet, rain, dirt, mud...it just keeps chugging away. Mine is one of my favorite pistols I own.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    $230?

I must call a proof, or it didn't happen here...! $230 gets you a short way in the firearms game. If you've picked up a Glock 21 Gen3 for $230 I would have assumed it was likely an expensive Airsoft gun!

Welcome to the GLOCK game!

Lol. Pics when I get home from work. There were two others on the table, and I would've had I the funds.

It's just hard to believe that they are that tough. I mean I'm used to having hiccups, parts going bad, finicky ammo tastes and finishes wearing out. Why in gods name didn't I carry one in the military? I also heard from the docs that the price on gen 3's and earlier are going to skyrocket next year?

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Lol. Pics when I get home from work. There were two others on the table, and I would've had I the funds.

It's just hard to believe that they are that tough. I mean I'm used to having hiccups, parts going bad, finicky ammo tastes and finishes wearing out. Why in gods name didn't I carry one in the military? I also heard from the docs that the price on gen 3's and earlier are going to skyrocket next year?

I doubt the prices are going to "skyrocket." They're still pretty common. You can still find Gen 1's and 2's for about 400-450 so I don't see Gen 3's becoming super rare. Probably just a little hype to make some sales. Although like I said, for $230, there would be no hype needed for me. I'd buy all of them.

As far as the "hiccups" go, I won't carry a pistol that I'm not 100% sure is going to work for me. Even though I haven't had a failure out of mine, I still practice for them though. Because Murphy tells us that if it can go wrong....it will.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    As far as the "hiccups" go, I won't carry a pistol that I'm not 100% sure is going to work for me. Even though I haven't had a failure out of mine, I still practice for them though. Because Murphy tells us that if it can go wrong....it will.

Amen to that! I traded in an old Daly that I was going to fix up. I was bummed every time it screwed up. And the finish was god awful. I polished the feed ramp, changed the spring and tried overpriced mags and it still jammed. I think I'll be happy with this one. I just wish it was more esthetically pleasing lol it looks like a Lego! But my best friend said it best, "its not a pretty gun, its a shoot you in the face gun"

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Sweet deal indeed. Love my 21 and it shoots more accurate than any other handgun I own. I would agree they are very tough and yes steel case ammo in np.

Femme Assise

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    You sir, are the greatest bargain shopper I've ever heard of. Buying a clock for $230 is just about unheard of - congrats! :D

Glocks are pretty much indestructible, and they will eat any kind of ammo you can put through it. I have a Glock 17 with about 5000 rounds through it with no problems at all.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I love my 3rd gen 23c. It eats any ammo, only had one failure(user induced) 2k+ on the round count. The only issue I've had is powder fouling, that I had to use a pick to remove, shooting WOLF ammo. I've also had some lead or copper fouling on the exit side of the compensating ports.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Somewhere a 4506-1 screamed in pain. VIC MACKEY bought a Glock! ;)

$230 is an amazing deal. I don't particularly like the Glock 21 - grip is too wide for me - not a Glock bash though. I've got a 17 in the nightstand safe and a 36 gets carried in the summer. But, $230?! Crap, I would have bought all three at that price.

Congrats!

Top Bottom