• ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'll thread jack here for a minute.
    While working the 1500 this weekend, I'm sure I had guns pointed at me at least one hundred times.
    But one guy was really getting on my nerves.
    He was an obvious newb, which is fine. He was looking at shotguns and asking another clerk a lot of questions. The problem starts when he picks one up and while talking to the other guy, he continuously racks the forend and pulls the trigger (no exaggeration!) AT LEAST forty times! WHILE POINTED DIRECTLY AT THE TWO OF US AT THE OTHER END OF THE BOOTH!
    I don't care how many times it happens, you just don't get comfortable having guns pointed at you constantly!

And yes, the other clerk should have told him what he was doing wrong. He is a newer guy and I don't think he realized that we were in direct line of the newb.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's instances like this where I almost think that to get an LTCH you should be required to take a basic safety class at the least. Almost.

^^^^^THIS^^^^

I grew up around guns. Ive taken hunter ed in HS through 4H. I've had my LTCH since I was 18. My wife just got her LTCH and I REFUSE to allow her to carry until she takes a class because I'm her first exposure to guns. She never even touched one until she met me. (dont worry, she agrees with me which is probably why I actually get away with that adamant refusal :): )

You have to pass a test to drive a car. In some states you have to take a class. Why is a 2,000 lb weapon any different than a gun? Both kill people and are dangerous if not handled properly.

I WELCOME training requirements for LTCH in Indiana. Hell, I'd be OK with not being grandfathered in. A little more education never hurt anyone. :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The problem starts when he picks one up and while talking to the other guy, he continuously racks the forend and pulls the trigger (no exaggeration!) AT LEAST forty times! WHILE POINTED DIRECTLY AT THE TWO OF US AT THE OTHER END OF THE BOOTH!
    I don't care how many times it happens, you just don't get comfortable having guns pointed at you constantly!

Not even a "please dont dry fire the weapon sir." ?

I'm not sure which is ruder, sweeping you or dry firing 37 more times than necessary. Getting a feel for the trigger is one thing, but I mean its not like its a 1911 with a trigger job that he was trying to get a feel for before buying... :n00b:

Too bad they dont give the vendors all a rubber "MORON" stamp that you can quickly press to an idiot's forehead so others know who they are dealing with. :laugh: That way later on he could hear "Hey, you with the stamp, dont even think about handling any of my guns! keep moving... go buy some roasted nuts or find the crazy jewelry ladies."

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Not even a "please dont dry fire the weapon sir." ?

I'm not sure which is ruder, sweeping you or dry firing 37 more times than necessary. Getting a feel for the trigger is one thing, but I mean its not like its a 1911 with a trigger job that he was trying to get a feel for before buying... :n00b:

Too bad they dont give the vendors all a rubber "MORON" stamp that you can quickly press to an idiot's forehead so others know who they are dealing with. :laugh: That way later on he could hear "Hey, you with the stamp, dont even think about handling any of my guns! keep moving... go buy some roasted nuts or find the crazy jewelry ladies."

Actually the shop owner that I was helping asked me if I thought he would be within his rights to walk over and butt stroke him in the face! I said "I think legally,about three more times and NO jury would convict you!":D

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was out today looking at some odds and ends when a customer was literarily sweeping everything, including pointing the weapon directly in to his own gut to get a good look at god knows what. Every time he'd start moving I'd have to dance to get out of the way.

A few weeks ago I was looking at some guns and the guy just pulled it out and handed it to me. I politely asked him to show clear before I would touch it. I'm sure had there been one in the pipe and I discharged it in to the floor, I'd have been the idiot in the INGO post.

What I don't understand is why gun shop employees don't know more about guns overall. Case in point, guy wants a gun for his wife, wants to keep a common caliber (40sw). The first answer was 38 special. My first question was is his wife a petite little thing. He said no, but mentioned she had trouble racking the slide. I suggested that he look at a 40sw revolver (they do exist), or seeing if she can deal with the recoil of a lighter slide spring. I know I pissed off the sales guy, but dammit if you can't fill a guys specs, dont sell him something he's going to regret. Explore options with him.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    For a woman who can't rack the slide of a semi auto, a .38 revolver is not a bad choice at all!

Yes there are a couple 40 caliber revolvers out there, but they are not common!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For a woman who can't rack the slide of a semi auto, a .38 revolver is not a bad choice at all!

Yes there are a couple 40 caliber revolvers out there, but they are not common!

Agreed. common calibers are nice, but I'd rather have to buy two sets of ammo than worry about how effectively my wife can rack my slide. (and if SHTF Im sure she'll work MUCH harder at that slide)

In fact I did just that... wife's gun is a 38 J frame and I carry a G23. So she cant use my ammo. Its not like we live in downtown Baghdad and might need to share resources in a firefight. :D

magiaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    That happens all the time at our shop. As other people said, it's not true gun people that do it. A lot of the people that gun in aren't INGO. They're new and call magazines clips. Glad the story had a safe ending!

-magiaaron

Top Bottom