• ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Thats a good point.
    We need some testing of handgun shotshells with pictures of patterns and results. Maybe a hotdog could stand in for a snake's head.
    Volunteers?
    Why do you need to test stuff that has been done for 40-50 years already?

There will be no damage. There will be some plastic left behind in your rifling so clean it WELL after using it. Your results will vary but the absolute worst thing you can do to shot column is put a SPIN on it. Physics never change no matter what caliber or gauge you use.

In a gun fight with a snake, make no assumptions. BTDT.

My prefered snake gun when working in a swamp is a 12 gauge with a knoxx folder. Put it right next to the chainsaws and gas.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Why do you need to test stuff that has been done for 40-50 years already?

There will be no damage. There will be some plastic left behind in your rifling so clean it WELL after using it. Your results will vary but the absolute worst thing you can do to shot column is put a SPIN on it. Physics never change no matter what caliber or gauge you use.

In a gun fight with a snake, make no assumptions. BTDT.

My prefered snake gun when working in a swamp is a 12 gauge with a knoxx folder. Put it right next to the chainsaws and gas.

OK, maybe we don't exactly NEED it and Box o' Truth seems to have covered the centerfire shells good enough.

But a 12 gauge is a little bulky to carry on a stroll through the woods. Wouldn't it be fun to shoot snake-like targets with the CCI rimfire shotshells?
    I guess my question is, "Would my Freedom Arms mini revolver be a usefull snake gun?"

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    NO

.............................................. "Would my Freedom Arms mini revolver be a usefull snake gun?"

Not by any means, in my opinion. We're talking about critters that can be very aggressive and are not afraid of you at all. My experience has been that rattlesnakes would prefer to avoid you and will USUALLY warn you before you're close enough for them to hit you. Your best defense is distance but once you've intruded into the snake's space you'd better be able to create distance or kill it quickly.....or both! This is why I don't wear "ears" and do wear snake-proof boots when I'm walking around a prairie dog town. I want enough gun to be positive. I don't like 'em. I don't like 'em at all.

sajnaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    bfe rockville in
    I remember when I was a kid my father gave me some snake shot for a 22lr. And when I ran out I went to go buy some and I was laughed at. But now it brings a smile to my face that other people call it snake shot also.

jwhites4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    from what i understand, the plastic cap acts like a sabot in a shotgun or muzzleloader. shouldnt hurt anything but the snake.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Resurrected this thread because I did some testing with .22 Long Rifle CCI Shotshells.

Using the T.A.W.G.* materials analysis system, I determined an empty 20 gauge shotgun shell would be a good exemplar for a snakes head.

I discovered that at a distance of about four feet, the shot pellets only dented the plastic shotgun shell. At about two to two and one half feet, the pellets began to penetrate the plastic but none would penetrate the brass base of the shell.

Conclusion: These are appropriate for non-dangerous insects and skeet shooting with vanilla wafers, but should not be used for self defense against anything that weighs more than a postage stamp.

We now return you to your usual :ingo: posts.
    Carry on.

*T.A.W.G. - Take A Wild Guess.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Did you take into acount that the hulls flex to take the impact? Where a snake won't ?

Having handled garter snakes as a boy, my judgement is that these shells flex less than a snake head would. I wouldn't want to try it, but shooting from a short barreled derringer, I doubt these would draw blood at 4-6 feet.

Top Bottom