• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    The sissy boys on here would crap themselves at least 4 times just mowing my yard. 8 foot Black Rat Snakes are the norm here. Copper Heads have a healthy population and Corn Snakes are thick. I feel like I live on a snake reserve and love every second of it.

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    I deal with copperheads reguarly at my cabin in eastern ky.I get bonus points with my wife every time a catch one and release it across the road.Theres never a reason to kill one in my opinion.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    http://youtu.be/JwqPmoHkYok
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyLF9KmxYtU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2fQFfqk9pk
    IMAG0258.jpg

hnts4fun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Something primal tells me there's only two kinds of snakes... Alive & Dead. I've never lived anywhere that had snakes so I'm not knowledgeable enough to get warm and fuzzy over one species over the other.

I don't generally click into that mode with unfamiliar things or situations; but like I said, I just haven't been around them much.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Didn't have a zoom lens? Just kidding. Have only heard of them being around but never seen one. I remember that girl who was bitten in the Clark State forest near Henryville several years ago.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Actually, I did get a much closer look. I didn't see it until it was one step in front of me about 5 feet ahead. It didn't move hardly - was sunning itself on the ridgetop in the grass there.

This was late summer this year.

My young son was thankfully walking on the other side of the gravel road, because his first reaction was to reach towards it to pick it up. We watched it for about 10-15 minutes and it hardly moved.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    He didn't seem bothered at all. Another full step and he'd have been right under me!

He just laid there. Move his head a bit, tongue flick. Didn't coil up - stayed like you see him up there. Evidently they're very docile anyways.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    We killed a very young (16") Timber Rattlesnake yesterday, while cleaning up some downed branches in the orchard. I am being a bit more cautious now, as where you find the young ones, MaMa would be nearby. Time to carry the 22 pistol when doing yard work. I live on the Floyd/Harrison County Line South of Lanesville.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    We killed a very young (16") Timber Rattlesnake yesterday, while cleaning up some downed branches in the orchard. I am being a bit more cautious now, as where you find the young ones, MaMa would be nearby. Time to carry the 22 pistol when doing yard work. I live on the Floyd/Harrison County Line South of Lanesville.

In your case, killing an endangered species that may prove beneficial to your orchard by eating pests that may pursue it seems a bit counter productive. As does admitting to such on a public forum.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I understand your conservation-based frame of reference, but my concern for small grandchildren playing in the orchard, and a pair of rather expensive but overly-curious Scottish Terrier hunter-digger dogs caused my priorities to lean towards the preservation of life and property.
    I would defend my action to any DNR officer who cared to visit the site. Score family-1, snake-0 in this one.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    If you like, feel free to drop me a line when/if you encounter them. I could have it relocated, which would be a win/win. I understand about the concern for life and property. I truly do. Far too often I see them destroyed when they are encountered in the woods while people are hunting. Luckily for us up here, Massasaugas are a bit more secretive if not more scarce.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you like, feel free to drop me a line when/if you encounter them. I could have it relocated, which would be a win/win. ..

I'm curious about this service you are referring to. I'm not of the "kill it" crowd, but I do have small pets and children running about.
    Who do we contact?
    How does the timing work?
    Is there a charge?

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I will PM you with contact info, As I posted I am in So Indiana, almost within sight of the Ohio River. So far any Copperheads in the area have remained reclusive and if they are here, they stay in the woods that surround my property on 2 sides...We have not seen any in the fruit trees. This young snake happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, as the kids and I were removing a bunch of tree trimmings from around the trees...we did not take the time to identify after the buzzing sound alerted us. But I too am not a dedicated snake-hater.

Top Bottom