• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Found this on my neighbor's front porch, can someone ID it for me. It was about 12" long
    Thanks

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    It appears to be a Northern Water Snake, but I'm not the best on my Indiana natives. I do know it's not a Copperhead, and Cottonmouths are pretty rare around here, and those are our only two truly venomous species.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    It appears to be a Northern Water Snake, but I'm not the best on my Indiana natives. I do know it's not a Copperhead, and Cottonmouths are pretty rare around here, and those are our only two truly venomous species.

We also have 2 species of rattlesnake native to Indiana. The Eastern Diamondback and the Timber.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    We do have the Massaugua Rattler in the NE portion of the state. An endangered highly venemous viper that only gets as big as your snake on the porch. However, that isn't one...

Last edited:

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    We do have the Missaugua Rattler in the NE portion of the state. An endangered highly venemous viper that only gets as big as your snake on the porch. However, that isn't one...

Oops....

Got the E. Diamondback confused with the E. Massasauga. :)

They (can) reach sizes considerably bigger (about 3.5ft) than the snake pictured, and would be much fuller-bodied than the skinny little black rat hatchling.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    We also have 2 species of rattlesnake native to Indiana. The Eastern Diamondback and the Timber.

Oops....

Got the E. Diamondback confused with the E. Massasauga. :)

They (can) reach sizes considerably bigger (about 3.5ft) than the snake pictured, and would be much fuller-bodied than the skinny little black rat hatchling.

Very true, but they are both so very uncommon that the likelihood of ever encountering one, especially on a porch, is pretty low. :)

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Found this on my neighbor's front porch, can someone ID it for me. It was about 12" long
    Thanks

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

100% juvenile black rat snake.

Here is another.
    null_zps50fb1115.jpg

That is last years hatchling. We are approaching mating time now. Eggs will be laid mid summer, eggs hatch August to October. It's emaciated from hibernation. Notice how it's skin seems baggy.

Two snake threads in the same night! Woo hoo!

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Top Bottom