• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Having experienced some of quite a few peoples' experiences with public school that have written here, we pulled our son from public school this year and are homeschooling him. Since our school has been hemorrhaging students over the past couple of years (for a variety of reasons), the school was not happy (Superintendent, Principal, Guidance Counselor) and expressed it to me in pretty frank terms. The biggest frustration to them? The approximately $11,000 that they lost in funding for my son.

Bullying

Drugs in the school

Drugs on the bus

Teachers not responding to emails, phone calls, letters

Administration not responding to emails, phone calls, letters

Teachers "offended" when I visited classroom after son being declared "confrontational" (he disagreed with one teacher's History lesson)

Threatening to put me/wifey in jail after son missed 5 "one-half days" (appointment in the A.M., back to school at Noon to finish the day) over a 5 month period for Orthodontic work (No other absences) because of missing "too much school"

There is a whole litany of items that I could continue to list, but you get the idea. I don't expect my local school system to babysit my son, but we could never get the logistics worked out between us even with eyeball-to-eyeball meetings between us and the school. In talking to other parents that have pulled their kids out of the school we have found that they experienced nearly the same problems. In doing what is best for our son we ended up doing what hurt the school the worst - removing him and the funding that goes with him from the State.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Since he's not answering my question, I will assume that he's put me on ignore or is choosing not to answer my question. We have listed options and he's made excuses for every single one of them.

Most Americans have become accustomed to spending every last dime of their income and racking up debt on more wants than needs. I'm a firm believer that if a family of 4 can't live off of $30k a year, they won't be able to do it on $50k or $100k a year.

In hindsight it was a huge blessing that my wife stayed at home. Our daughter was under our care 99% of the time. Now that my daughter is in school, my wife works at her school cafeteria and has summers off with my daughter. It was also a huge blessing in that it forced us to live within our means. That meant that we drove old beater vehicles that were paid for. That meant we kept a mortgage at $700 or under. That meant that we lived without a lot of luxuries. Most of all, that meant by the age of 30, I had $50k in assets over debt.

Everybodys choices are their own and I'm not condemning anyone for them. I just get irritated at those who say they don't have a choice.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Since he's not answering my question

I noticed that...

Now that my daughter is in school, my wife works at her school cafeteria and has summers off with my daughter.
    That's awesome! I did the teacher's aide/cafeteria thing until mine went to high school. Not only is it great to have off the same days (no daycare!), you're right there if something is wrong or they need you. And that DOES happen now and then. Plus, it's just nice to see them in the middle of the day or watch them interact with their peers. :)
    Kudos to Mrs.Hornadylnl and you. And judging from that sweetie you have, you've definitely made the right choices. She's a great kid!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    "Pulling my daughter out of her school is not something that can be done today." "So either I deal with the problem at the current school...." I am clearly talking about my daughter and my situation. You responded to a single sentence out of context and in a manner such that it looked like a response to what I was saying.

A more accurate statement would have been "While it's not really relevant to your situation, changing schools can be done quickly if the conditions are right."

Can it be changed in a day? Pretty close. My neighbors had some problems with the school their daughter went to, they complained to the administration and while not the next day but the day after she (and her sibling) were transferred to another school in the district. My niece was having some problems with her daughter and where she was going after school, some days she would ride the bus home and others she would be picked up by grandma depending on moms work schedule, there was some confusion involved although it never hit quite the level of what happened to your daughter. She talked to them and next school day her daughter was transferred. And grandma was picking them up daily and my niece was picking them up from her house no matter what her work schedule was.

Top Bottom