• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Stick it out brother. After 3 days, its all out of your system, now its a mental game.

Way, way, way tougher than the physical game IMO.

If I quit, I'll either need a medication (Chantix is what I will try first) or a 2 week vacation where I can just eat and sleep without leaving my house and I'll have to not touch alcohol for close to a year.

I'm going to try Chantix first.

Or I could just let it "get me."

I haven't decided yet...I'm still pretty young.:):

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    As tough as it is to stay away from smokes, the journey makes you a much stronger person. Its not even about not smoking any more for me, its about being bigger than that nicotine monster and kicking its ass

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Camel cigs - $4.72/pk.

Get a jar. Put money in the jar as often as you used to buy cigs. Reward yourself after a year.

Everyone needs motivation.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

If I quit, I'll either need a medication (Chantix is what I will try first) or a 2 week vacation where I can just eat and sleep without leaving my house and I'll have to not touch alcohol for close to a year.

i tried the Chantix stuff 3 years ago....didn't work for me....this is workin' so far.....cold turkey.....thanks for everyones support:rockwoot:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Sweet! Do a lot of mental statements for positive feedback as well.

If you relapse, there are thousands of gun owners who will be upset and disappointed. Just tossing that out there :):

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Stoppin smoking was ythe hardest thing I ever did. I sure am glad I quit for several reasons. The best reason is all the guns, acsessories and ammo I've managed to purchase with the saved tobacco cash!

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers

After smoking a pack+ a day for 20 years or so, I was able to quit with a combination of Wellbutrin and NicoDermCQ (patch). Things were fine for years. I could even enjoy an evening at the pub with friends where I would end up smoking several cigarettes, yet have no further cravings later. I still enjoyed smoking, I just rarely did so, as the craving was no longer there.

Then, seven years later, I turned 40. Kind of a tough milestone to swallow, I guess, but I managed...until a couple months later when my 21-year-old, no job, still living at home son told me I was going to be 41-year-old grandfather. That one sent me running back for the smokes.

In the few years following, I was able to quit for a month or two at a time with Chantix, but I never got over the cravings, so I kept falling off the wagon.

Then I tried an e-cigarette. One week later, I dropped the regular smokes with absolutely zero trouble, as the e-cigarette provided the actual act of smoking without any of the harmful elements. I *highly* recommend them. I can't believe how easy e-cigs made it to wake up one day and decide not to smoke again.

One bit of advice for those considering trying e-cigs, I personally cannot stand the tobacco flavored versions. Start with something inexpensive, like from a convenience store, and if you don't like it, look for one that offers various flavors. I typically go with a fruit flavor like pineapple, watermelon or pina colada.

Best of luck with quitting.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was able to go cold turkey when I got to Europe and Marb reds were suddenly about $7/pack... That lasted 2 packs and I realized that for 1 pack of Marb Reds, I could buy a gallon of beer, 6 loaves of bread, 3 rolls of sausage or 10 pounds of chocolate.

I agree with the money motivator :D

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    to update.....5 months and 9 days....still smoke free!!!!!!

Big congrats.

Then I tried an e-cigarette. One week later, I dropped the regular smokes with absolutely zero trouble, as the e-cigarette provided the actual act of smoking without any of the harmful elements. I *highly* recommend them. I can't believe how easy e-cigs made it to wake up one day and decide not to smoke again.

One bit of advice for those considering trying e-cigs, I personally cannot stand the tobacco flavored versions. Start with something inexpensive, like from a convenience store, and if you don't like it, look for one that offers various flavors. I typically go with a fruit flavor like pineapple, watermelon or pina colada.

I switched from being a 2 pack a day filterless smoker to e-cigs 2 months ago. One of the best things I ever did

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Congrats.....I've been smoke free for 2 years now your over the bad part for sure......smoked for 20 years ....again congrats welcome to the breathing world......lol

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Congratulations, I'm smoke free for 7 years, however I'm now addicted to the nicorette gum, it's better for you, still it costs the same as a carton of Marlboro, so no really benefit except for my health

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I'm old enough to have quit twice. Quit for 10 years and started and took another 10 to get up the juice to quit again. Hard x 10 the second time around. Don't ever pick it up again.

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    right now I'm still young, but for three years, I've smoked socially only, on the weekends but not during the week, hope to keep it that way and not get addicted. I don't think I've ever heard a smoker recommend smoking, which is a strong motivator for me

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    right now I'm still young, but for three years, I've smoked socially only, on the weekends but not during the week, hope to keep it that way and not get addicted. I don't think I've ever heard a smoker recommend smoking, which is a strong motivator for me

Dude, stop that **** now. Trust me.. That's how I started, out with buddies, and someone offered me a cigarette, sure! Then it got to the point of "Wow, it's Wednesday and I am stressed as hell."

Start thinking about how relaxed you were that weekend with your buddies, and when you were smoking that cigarette, and next thing you know you're gonna buy a pack..

If you want to smoke socially smoke a cigar. But not a cigarette.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Good, and never pick them up again!

The patches sold at Walgreens made all the difference for my wife-when she put cigs down in 2008. However, she skipped step 1, and started with the step 2 box of patches.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom