• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ms9007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Hi guys, Im a first time AR15 buyer and was looking to get a S&W AR15 because its relatively affordable.
    Now my question is what are your thoughts on that rifle, my main question would be the twist rate of 1 in 8", now I know most common AR's have 1 in 9" twist rate and in my understaning that rate is better for lighter bullets, and as far as I understand millitary uses 1 in 7" for little heavier bullets.
    Thanks.

joker762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Logansport
    The M&P sports also have the 5R rifling which is deemed to be a little bit more accurate as well. They also do not a have a forward assist or a dust cover. A 1/9 twist rate will be fine for anything you'd wanna shoot. Plenty fast enough twist rate to shoot up to 75gr.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The M&P-15 Sport is an outstanding value for what you pay. Other guns at its price point lack the same quality and feature set. The only downside to the Sport is its lack of ready availability (i.e. we can't get them at-will in the quantities we would need to satisfy demand).

ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Bought my sport a few weeks ago. It's a quality rifle that leaves you some extra $$ for customizations and/or ammo. I was surprised how accurate it was my first time out with it. Ran some Federal 5.56 and TulAmmo steel case .223 through it with no problem. A lot of fun.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I absolutely love My m&p15 sport!
    It was my first AR platform and I am still learning more about the AR game, but several much more experienced AR shooters have said nothing but good about it when they have handled it or shot it. Between the price and how it performs they all said I did good.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is my M&P 15 and it is no longer as built. It ran great before the mods. Best M-4 in the cabinet before and definitely after

ARvarients006.jpg

Go with the M&P. You will not be disappointed.

ms9007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    I found one at the local dealer for 660, did a quick look at it but didnt notice that it didnt have dust cover or forward assist. Dust cover is almost a must since I live in the desert lol.
    I also saw one on gunbroker for 625.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Also, what is the advantage/disadvantage for 1 in 8" vs. 1 in 9" twist?

Different twist rates will stabilize different weight bullets better than others. 1 in 7" does better with heavier bullets, while 1 in 9" does better with the lighter weight stuff. 1 in 8" is right in the middle of the road.

But bear in mind that it isn't like you CAN'T shoot the lighter stuff with a 1 in 7" or vice versa.

NolanKeith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Im new to the ar game and definitely looking at the m&p 15 and/or building one. So do you need to buy a new upper to get the dust cover and forward assist?

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I'm new to the ar game and definitely looking at the m&p 15 and/or building one. So do you need to buy a new upper to get the dust cover and forward assist?

I can understand about the dust cover but as far as the forward assist I don't think (personal opinion) that you need one. Having carried the same M-4 around for almost 14 years in the Army I never really needed it. I used it from the snows of Alaska to the sands of Iraq. That being said it doesn't hurt anything by having one, just not something that I think you'll find much use for.

Top Bottom