• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fireman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    i have the 5906 and love it and iam thinking on getting the 4506 any input from anyone on the 4506

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    They are solid pistols. I dunno about going up in value; I'm still waiting for my S&W 4006 to be recognized as the near priceless, historical artifact it clearly is...

...but the stainless semi-auto pistols of that generation from S&W are very nicely finished, extremely durable pistols.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    They are solid pistols. I dunno about going up in value; I'm still waiting for my S&W 4006 to be recognized as the near priceless, historical artifact it clearly is...

...but the stainless semi-auto pistols of that generation from S&W are very nicely finished, extremely durable pistols.

first one i ever messed with was my brother in laws and its a slick pistol. he has it in the classifieds now, but i think its pending funds. im sure he would entertain backup offers incase somthing falls threw

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...revolvers/232488-smith_and_wesson_4006_a.html

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I tried to trade with him for it but he was not intrested in the XDM. Those SW are sweet and i have been tryin to get my hands on one but when i find one in great condition somehow i always miss out.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I had one for a while. .45 is pricy so I traded it off (at a loss) but it was a nice shooting gun. I'd like to find a .40 or 9mm version at some point..

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You might also consider the 4566. It's the 4 1/4" barrel version basically the 45 in a 5906/4006 ish sized frame/package. Even though it's still a full size gun its a little more portable!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have had 18 different third generation S&W semi-autos. I agree with previous posters that they are built like tanks and completely reliable. They are also quite large and heavy. This is great for mitigating perceived recoil but may give you pause if you are looking for an all day carry. My favorite in this line was the 4566. Not quite as big as the full size 4506. The only reason I don't still own any of these guns is the accuracy. I am not an "operator" by any means. I am a mediocre shooter at best. The S&Ws, while more than accurate enough for most self-defense requirements, are never going to be considered "tack drivers". They are quite easy to maintain and parts are readily available. You won't see any in competitive shooting. When I carried a Smith .45 I always did so in a shoulder holster. I would buy one again, they are fun to shoot.

Last edited:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I have a 4586 which was an LEA trade-in from the Boise, ID area. Its DAO trigger pull is lighter than that of many good DA revolvers and much shorter. Reset is also short and positive. Its very easy to adapt to and learn to shoot well with given some practice.

It's quite accurate, and about as functionally reliable as gravity. It points naturally and IMO very comparable in size and weight with a Combat Commander. While it could really use some new tritiums (the originals are getting very dim) it's still on nightstand duty and I feel that I can trust it implicitly to hit where I point it and function flawlessly whenever called upon.

For a bit less than $350 OTD with Hogues and two factory mags, I think it was a great buy.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    If I had to pick a pistol to be stranded with, my 4506 is right up there at the top.
    It has never let me down.
    Shoots well, feeds everything .45 ACP I can find to shoot thru it.
    Only thing I wish it had is a light rail and possibly removing the magazine disconnect.
    For being a 90's style pistol, it sure had alot going for it.
    It is a good value pistol that is very underrated.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I had one till someone decided to break in my house and steal it.

I had custom Hogue grips on it and looked sweet and shot as good too. But not a carry gun.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Had two at one point. Battered one up pretty bad with .45 Super in my stupid days, the other was sold to an avid pin shooter.

SOLID pistols, albeit VERY complicated internals. If something breaks or if there is a problem part, either count on sending it back to Smith or find someone who knows what they are doing with third gens. Very heavy and have really long finger reach for some. The barrels were sort of thin, but that doesn't mean anything for .45. ramped barrel would feed any wacko crap I could throw at it (wasn't uber tempermental with SWC like some plastic, brass bending liability sorta-gunz). Magazines aren't expensive, but getting harder to find.

Carry? Well, you CAN, but man, finding a holster (problem 1), a DARN good belt (not a huge issue) and then having it sag your pants bad despite finding a good holster and belt (problem 2).

Accuracy was okay. Some will say awesome, some meh. Thus the glory of the Smith third gen: every one seemed different. Trigger was good, though I will say this: The one I fragged, I took a apart and parted it out. I noticed that the sear/hammer was all forged in appearance, however, there was not alot of ledge for firing control surface. Go too wackko with polishing or trying to cut a new angle for lighter pull and it would likely shorten the life of the control parts. A polish, respring and lots of dry fire and you will have pretty close to what I imagine the Smith Pro shop does.

I'm writing a crazy crime story for fun, the antagonist carries a 4506, she's got a real mean streak and likes to pull it at the drop of a hat. :D

fireman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    i got it

thanks to everyone for your input i went and picked it up today and i do not regret it i caint wait to take it for some range time, and the holster i have for it works perfect hopefully i will have some pics to add later

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    This MUST be posted to any and all 4506 threads:

vc-4506.jpg

:yesway:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have had 18 different third generation S&W semi-autos. I agree with previous posters that they are built like tanks and completely reliable. They are also quite large and heavy. This is great for mitigating perceived recoil but may give you pause if you are looking for an all day carry. My favorite in this line was the 4566. Not quite as big as the full size 4506. The only reason I don't still own any of these guns is the accuracy. I am not an "operator" by any means. I am a mediocre shooter at best. The S&Ws, while more than accurate enough for most self-defense requirements, are never going to be considered "tack drivers". They are quite easy to maintain and parts are readily available. You won't see any in competitive shooting. When I carried a Smith .45 I always did so in a shoulder holster. I would buy one again, they are fun to shoot.
    I have a brand new SMITH & WESSON 745, it's suppose to be a target gun;)

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I have been looking for a 4506 for a while.

I LOVE my 4516 (compact version).

I am really surprised by all the accuracy comments because mine is as accurate as my Kimber...at 15 yards I can shoot a ragged 2.5" hole in the paper.

Only thing I HATE about these guns is that the damn magazines cost more than wilson 47d's...I mean come on!....every law enforcement agency in the country used a S&W third gen semi-auto!

Also replacement parts are expensive and getting hard to some by....why? I do not know.

They are heavy too...I like it

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom