• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't know what "precludes" means but I do know that state cc license doesn't matter because it is a private campus. Technically if I bought a handgun and took it directly to the campus and never took the gun off campus I wouldn't even need a cc license. What I'm saying is on private property the state can't enforce carry laws. Only exception is a river boat and airport. You can carry on a public campus if you're picking up or dropping off a student and nothing else.

There's actually nothing illegal about carrying on any university campus in Indiana. State laws against carrying are specifically for schools (High School and younger), not universities. There's a thread discussing that somewhere around here.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP pocket carry would be my choice. Virtually unnoticable and then you aren't off body carrying. Backpacks get stolen, lost, etc. I have an Unkle Mikes #2 for pocket carry and it works well.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I'm in the same situation as you and am trying to decide what to do about it. I go to a private university in the central part of the state with the same kinds of rules. I'm probably just going to get an LCP or a small revolver to cc.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Smith and wesson M 642 in a galco ankle glove when wearing pants and a IWB holster for shorts... I have forgotten i have had mine on me at times and started looking for it before i realized it was on me..... also the 38 spc +P rounds have WAY better penetration and stopping power than a 380 and dont care if they get all gummed up with pocket lint or anything else, and can be fired from inside of a pocket or backpack if needed.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm in the same situation as you are too, and recent events have made me reevaluate things.

I'm still leaning really hard towards a Smartcarry with either a LCP (my dad has pretty much taken over my P3AT), LCR, or a S&W Scandium J frame. A Sig P232 or Walther (S&W) PPK are also in the running.

The advantage of the Smartcarry is that it's hella concealed. Seriously, the only way you're gonna find out about it is if you pat down, well, my junk.

I'm in the same situation at work too, I'm not even suppose to have one in my car, but with some recent events, I'm looking to change that too.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Ruger LCP, with Buffal Bore JHPs for SD. We have an LCP and have the Buffalo Bores on order. We have Gold Dots for SD right now and it shoots beautifuly. And i recommend a mini tuck IWB holster for it. It's invisible with it.

offroadking208

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    i know what you guys mean. in one of the parking lots at my university this morning they had 2 students robbed at gunpoint. I just think it sucks that the campus infringes on my right to protect myself...

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    When in a similar situation, I carried a S&W 642 in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster. I sometimes used a Smartcarry when pants printed or when I felt that I needed extra concealment.

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Ruger LCP in a DM Bullard mini Dual Carry very small and concealable and I do recommend the crimson laser . Im not crazy about the stock sights

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Your car is still your private property, regardless of where it's parked. There's a thread around here somewhere about whether an employer has the right to search your car, which would be a similar case. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Also, when you're renting a dorm room, you are subject to renters' rights, which means the landlord can't just come in and rifle through your stuff.

incorrect. the RAs or campus police can search your room for pretty much any reason at any time. you sign away your rights as a condition of living in the dorm.

at least thats what my experience was at a rather well known private Indiana university.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Kel Tec PF9 in a Smartcarry. 8 rounds of 9mm on tap, light and easy to carry all day. Or, a Kahr CW9, if you've got a little more money to spend. Alternately, a belly band under a loose shirt would be a good method of concealment for any small, single stack 9mm.

So you like the Smartcarry?

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Depending on the flavor you prefer, think about a Glock 27 or a Glock 36.

The Glock 27 is in 40 S&W, the Glock 36 is in my favorite flavor, the .45 ACP.

The Glock 36 appears a bit slimmer, the Glock 27 appears a bit smaller all around. I have had both, both are in appropriate calibers, and you MUST hang onto them whilst shooting.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    1. What pistol
    2. How to carry. (what type of holster etc...)
    3. What ammunition is most effective for self defense in the small .380 ACP?
    4. How to hide in a dorm or car or other place.

I would look at getting a hammerless revolver for deep concealment. I would get something in .357 mag. That way you can use .38spl ammo if it is cheaper for practice, but then load some good .357 hollow point rounds for self-defense.

You also will need some deep concealment holsters. The #1 thing is to tell no one about your support for guns, especially at a private college. That will automatically label you a "gun nut." Many on here will pound on their chest that by doing such, we are losing the battle. They are not the ones who will get kicked out of school, _you_ will. They are not the ones with thousands of dollars in tuition to lose, _you_ are. I don't care if guns are your passion, don't debate them, don't act like you support them, etc. in or around your school. There is already a report of a college student who wrote an article supporting CCW on universities. The campus cops at that school summonsed him to their department, then when he walked in, read off a list of guns he owned (I have no idea where they got the list). They started to interrogate him about his guns, if he carried them, etc.. This is not the kind of attention you want, especially in an academia type setting. Most people there, especially those in power, lean way left. I don't care how many empty holster protests you have, how many open carry on the public sidewalk demonstrations groups do, or how many term papers you write...the chances of you changing the minds of even one of those types is slim to none.

As far as hiding such a weapon, just start google searching for hidden compartments. Think of voids in objects such as computer desk chairs, file cabinets, hollowed out laptop computers, hollowed out books, etc..

Really? How do they get around that pesky 4th Amendment?

Contract law. You want to go to school, you sign away certain rights. Almost every college I know of, public and private, have "health and safety inspections" as part of your housing application. Is it right? No, but to my knowledge, that law has never been challenged in court. I do think there is a case to be made based upon the Chicago court case about 10-12 years ago. CPD was going to Section 8 housing units conducting gun searches. The governments theory, if I recall correctly, was that since the housing is government subsidized, then government has every right to conduct these searches. They lost in a lawsuit, which means that is what it will take to rule these sort of clauses unconstitutional. I have no idea if this issue has ever come up or not, but it is believed that there will be a case in the future on how much power universities, especially public ones, can hold over their students (ie: Holding them responsible for actions off the property, etc..).

Your car is still your private property, regardless of where it's parked. There's a thread around here somewhere about whether an employer has the right to search your car, which would be a similar case. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Also, when you're renting a dorm room, you are subject to renters' rights, which means the landlord can't just come in and rifle through your stuff.

With the car, Indiana Code gives state universities the right to ban the vehicle from the property. A refusal to allow a search might cause such a ban. May or may not be an issue depending on the availability of public parking off-campus property:

IC 21-39-5-3
    Traffic and parking regulations
    Sec. 3. Regulations adopted by the board of trustees of a state educational institution that are applicable to traffic and parking may include the following provisions:
    (1) Provisions governing the registration, speed, operation, and parking and the times, places, and manner of use of motor vehicles, bicycles, and other vehicles.
    (2) Provisions prescribing penalties for the violation of regulations. Penalties may include the following:
    (A) Imposition of reasonable charges.
    (B) Removing and impounding (at the expense of the violator) vehicles that are operated or parked in violation of regulations.
    (C) Denial of permission to operate vehicles on the property of the state educational institution.
    (3) Provisions establishing reasonable charges and fees for the registration of vehicles and for the use of parking spaces or facilities owned or occupied by the state educational institution.

Private property is even more restricted, as it is private. As with searching apartments, dorms, etc.. There are limited intrusions written into all contracts that I have seen. Landlords or their agents usually get some sort of right to enter the apartment. Usually this has to do with facilities issues, but I can tell you right now that many major universities have "health and safety inspections" carried out by RAs. If narcotics are found, campus police are usually called. Again, it will take a lawsuit or criminal court ruling to nullify these actions.

I would personally not carry on the hip. I would be more inclined to use an ankle holster on campus. Most of the school year you can wear jeans comfortably. Aside from that, people don't generally look at your ankles and feet. However, if you have ANY printing on your waist (print of gun while carrying) it is more likely to be seen on your waist than anywhere else. When people are sitting down in a class room and you walk in, your waist is at eye level... just a thought. It may not make a difference, but most people only see what is right in front of their face.

I am familiar with LE work, especially on college campuses. I can tell you that as long as one uses an IWB holster, and are not carrying a Desert Eagle, and you wear clothing that works with the holster (ie: I don't care if it is your favorite T-shirt, if it is too short, don't wear it..it may expose the gun), people won't notice. I would carry off-duty, dressed as a typical college kid. I doubt most of my fellow students knew I was an officer at all. I carried both full-size and compact models of guns for years and I never once had any co-workers say they got a call. Out of about thirty similar employees, I never heard of any calls about "someone with a possible gun!" The few calls I ever got on campus were:
    #1: A guy who started carrying after being robbed, and who thought it would be a good idea to open carry. He got hot and took his coat off, and was honest with the prof. The prof. though didn't like it and called us. We advised him of the rules and he secured his weapon at the PD. He either carried concealed after that or stopped carrying, as that was the last I ever saw him.
    #2: An off-duty officer's gun was seen. People called and he was stopped and questioned. I think he didn't mean for his gun to show, but he carried in the small of the back and somehow the shirt came up over the grip.
    #3: Two other cases where students were found with guns were when they were involved with police issues.
    #4: A guy OCing a BB gun.

So basically unless you are stupid enough to get arrested and searched, or carrying in a manner that shows the gun, the chances of someone calling on a print or "something" under the shirt is slim to none. Most people will not call unless they actually _see_ the gun. All the people I knew who carried concealed did so with an IWB holster and wore the appropriate clothing. Never did I ever hear of any calls about someone possibly carrying a gun. People only called when they actually saw a gun.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Seems to me that the OPs chief concern is deep concealment which is directly related to two things: size of the handgun, and method of concealment. There are some tradeoffs here: smaller guns are easier to conceal, but sacrifice ergonomics, practical accuracy, and power, while deeper concealment generally means less rapid accessibility.

Lots of good suggestions here. I'm going to suggest you divide the suggestions into a couple of size classes, sub-compacts and micros, to help with the decision process.

Some suggestions from the thread thus far:

Sub-compacts: 380s- Walther PPK, Sig P232, Bersa Thunder 380; 38 spl – S&W 442/642; 9mms - Kel-Tec PF9, Kahr CW9; 40 – Glock 27

In the “subcompact” genre, it becomes obvious that you carry something significantly more potent than a 380 in the same size platform with no sacrifice in “carryability.” You still have a full grip with most subcompacts, so although your experience is with full-size guns, the subcompacts will still be quite shootable with little adjustment on your part.

Micros: Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP

With the “micro” genre we start to get into the realm where ergonomics start to suffer significantly. In many cases you will not be able to get a full grip (i.e. your pinky will dangle). You’ll have to practice to shoot these well. The tradeoff is increased convenience of carry and ease of concealment.

The line between these two is a bit fuzzy and can be somewhat compensated for by method of concealment.

Personally, given your situation I would scope my decision down to either the Kahr CW9 or the Kel-Tec P3AT (for reasons I won't get into because this post is long enough). If you want something easy to conceal with minimum effort, the Kel-tec is a good choice. If you’ve been carrying for a while, are comfortable with it, and are willing to experiment a bit with your system to deeply conceal a larger, more potent gun, then the Kahr might work for you.

Given the bad, and more likely consequences of your getting caught and kicked out of school, I’d lean toward the Kel-Tec. I personally know of a girl who lost her job when her private retail employer decided to do an employee locker search (another example of why off-body carry isn’t a good idea, btw). I don't know what your university policies are with respect to this.

One thing you haven’t mentioned is your budget. There’s about a $200 price difference among the sub-compact suggestions for example.

Tell NO ONE. A big +1 on that advice.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Ruger LCP fits beautifully in a pocket, or underwear if need be. It's the sort of thing they are made for.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

They can if you agree to it in the lease, or whatever agreement you sign to rent the dorm. And such agreement is probably a prerequisite to being allowed to reside there.

Don't like it, live off campus, which would be my choice, just as I chose to maintain my own apartment off base in the military so I could have some semblance of privacy when I felt the urge.

Top Bottom