• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    The hornadys are pretty fast & shoot flat. My dad uses 'em.
    I shoot Winchester platinum something or other and have never found them wanting for accuracy or power.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    I guess I'm showing my cheap side, but I shoot Lightfeild sabots. Switched over to them back when Remington changed their copper soild load back about 1999. The Lightfierld was cheaper than most of the other sabot slugs out the then and I went with them. They never were as accurate as the Remington, but still put venison in the freezer.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Have you shot these and they give you similar groups? If you have shot each and they perform similar I would go with the cheaper option because they are both well made slugs and perform well on deer. If longer shots (past 100 yards) are likely I would opt for the SSTs based on ballistics.

If you have not shot the gun and are looking for a starting point, accuracy will depend on the slug gun you have and the twist of the barrel. A slower twist barrel, most likely 1 in 35", will generally like the Lightfields better while a faster twist, most likely 1 in 28", will usually prefer the faster sabots like the SSTs.

Either way I would go with which slug is most accurate out of your specific gun.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I shoot both the Hornady and Rem. Copper solids in 12 and love them. I have used the Hornady's for 2 season and really like the performance and accuracy of them. I can't tell you of their total accuracy potential since I don't use optics on my Mossberg 500, but @ 100yds I can keep them well in a paper plate and have take almost a dozen deer with them ranging from 70 to 160yds with excellent energy deposit on target and only everhad to track one. I would say that if you gun likes them and with some good glass that they would probably out shoot most everything else.

I don't have any experience with the lightfields though. And since last year I switched over to 45Colt in a rifle I probably won't from the cost aspect, but If you try them let me know how they shoot. I'm always open for new input.:twocents:

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Slugs

I shot the Hornaday SSTs in My 12 ga Gold Hunter with Rifled slug bl last Year and they are great ( took a nice buck with them )
    I switched from the Winchester platinum last year at the urging of a friend

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lightfields group better than anything else in my gun.

I bought a couple dozen boxes at Pop's when they had them on post season closeout a few years ago and I believe they are the IDS version. Past 40 yards or so they don't exit (they are designed not to). Good hits always leave a massive blood trail that isn't very long.

george

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    try the new remington accutip. tried them last year and they shot like a rifle. pricey but well worth it. 2 3/4 in seemed to hold a better pattern than 3 in.

Top Bottom