• ...and so much more!
  • RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    I think this is interesting & wanted to share. Last weekend after a local match in MI a friend & I pulled out the video camera for some practice & goofing off. This is a pretty cool comparision in loading techniques. We are both very close in skill level. I'm barely a mediocore M class & Carl is a really good A class shooter. My first shot was 1.9 sec on a 15 yard popper. Carl's first shot was 1.8 sec. My technique is probably the most common, mag pointed at a 45 degree angle to back of the gun. Carl uses a "scoop technique" where the mag is lying next to the magwell already lined up. Left hand goes on top of the gun to hold it still, while the right hand pushes mag in. Carl's technique could be espically usefull if you wanted to start moving immediately. Slap the mag in & rack the gun while moving. I know what I'm gonna practice now!

http://youtu.be/Aeg_RzmbxoI

Here it is in real time.

http://youtu.be/e12cnRQtPoQ

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    That's really neat how you super-imposed the video!

I've heard people talk about doing it that way, and even airgun it a few times in walk through, but never did anyone actually do it.

I wonder if it could be made to work with a production gun without the big magwell.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That was cool to watch.

I think his technique has more of a disaster factor built into it for all but open and limited guns, but it will get you up and out if it comes together. Nicely done.

Thanks for posting.

RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    I've tried his technique in the past but wasn't very consistent at it. But that just comes down to practice. Yes I would think the disater factor could be bad if you don't have a large magwell.

I didn't make the video. Carl used Abode Premier I think. I wish I could do that on my Mac.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    that looks like a feast of famine type of reload. it either goes great or it fails and you are way behind the eight ball on trying to catch up.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ive seen that technique before and tried it a few times (not enough to justify it as a real test). seems great when it works, but kills you if you fail at it.

If you are only gaining 0.1s on it, is it really worth the risk? You lose twice that amount of time when you miss a piece of steel in the stage. A lost .1s on the draw/pickup can be made up elsewhere in most COFs. That being said I don't like giving away ANY time advantage to competitors.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Cool video and he nails it. Repete you are not medicore. I have done the technique in matches about three times. One was a disaster.Make sure you down load the mag or it can bounce out.

It will work with many different guns. I have seen Angus Hobdell do it with a SS gun on video. I have seen a kid put the mag standing up and pick the gun up and slam it down on the mag to seat it as well. He did it smooth.

RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    Cool video and he nails it. Repete you are not medicore. I have done the technique in matches about three times. One was a disaster.Make sure you down load the mag or it can bounce out.

It will work with many different guns. I have seen Angus Hobdell do it with a SS gun on video. I have seen a kid put the mag standing up and pick the gun up and slam it down on the mag to seat it as well. He did it smooth.

Thanks Coach. Good tip regarding down loading mags. I think having the "mag scoop" technique in your arsenal could come in handy sometimes. Check out this Ninja Load, you may have seen it before. It's too cool! Another technique to add to your bag of tricks.

http://youtu.be/8xfYtZOz81c

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Thanks Coach. Good tip regarding down loading mags. I think having the "mag scoop" technique in your arsenal could come in handy sometimes. Check out this Ninja Load, you may have seen it before. It's too cool! Another technique to add to your bag of tricks.

http://youtu.be/8xfYtZOz81c

I watched that one a while back and found this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKyGUYjCruY

Got my M&P out and tried it but never could do it. Decided I needed to stop before I ripped my shoulder off:D

Top Bottom