• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'll start by saying that my emergency bag isn't just for me. The majority of it is just food, water, and some gear, but it's meant to sustain my small family and I for a couple of days if need be. Part of that preparation is for sleeping outside.

I just switched my primary BOB's over the weekend to my old CFP-90 knockoff because it has a compartment for a GI sleeping bag system and my Alice pack does not. I looked at different ways to attach the sleeping system to the Alice pack but in the end I just figured I'd just go with the bag I already had with the compartment.

Now, if it were just me, I'd probably be just fine with a tarp and a wool blanket, but with a small family I need more than that.

I'm actually considering buying a surplus molle rifleman pack just because it looks like it'd be a better fit for a guy who needs to take more sleeping gear.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I use my old backpacking gear for BOB. Lots of pockets, several places to attach sleeping bags, room for guns, ammo, FAK, food, water filter, and a little water (that stuff is HEAVY). And the straps were made to distribute weight evenly between the waist and shoulders. Squeaks a little, but what can you expect for $20 about 30 years ago.

Also have 2 sets of panniers for the bicycles. I'd rather ride than walk.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a couple of the mylar, I think, emergency blankets in mine. I need to rethink this though. Not good enough for the wife and two kids for sure.

That's why I'm concerned about my family. I have a wife and two small kids. I figure the GI sleep system gives one person a shell to use, another the cold weather, and another the hot weather bag. I'd be the guy without anything, but I can put on my cold weather gear and rain gear and make do just fine.

I just got to get something figured out for transporting all of that stuff.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Like mentioned, consider your mode of transportation and weather conditions.

If you talking walking in the winter to bug out how are your little ones going to make it?

If your takling about being stuck in the ditch in the middle of now where thats different yet.

Bikes I know of don't do well in winter weather. Walking in winter is hard. real hard if your legs are only a foot long.

If your children are small, one large bag will accomidate you all. Or two bags, one for a parent and a child each.

For me, like mentioned, I am good with a tarp and a blanket, the biggest key to staying warm in my opinion is to stay dry.. Sweat is your enemy in cold weather..

Just my pennies..

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As my kids get older, they'll get their backpacks and learn to carry their own weight, but until then it's all going into daddies backpack. Our youngest isn't walking yet, so he'd be my wifes bug out baby.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    She's got a bad back, and is a wimp. I love her, but to be completely honest she's not going to suck it up and carry a pack. Carrying our youngest is going to be all she can do. I'm still working on getting her to toughen up, but it's a work in progress.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    hhhhmmmm.... Sounds like you will probably end up carrying all the gear plus the people.

I recommend some kind of 2 wheeled cart and a harness, like an off-road rickshaw if you need to bug out on foot.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I try to have a plan for a lot of situations. The mini van is our get out of town vehicle. If that fails, we have two bicycles and a little pull behind kit trailer. If that fails we've got good hiking shoes and extra socks. I don't plan on us living out in the woods for any length of time, but if we need to get out and suck it up for a while I'd like for us to be able to survive it. I can carry the weight of a family pack, but I need to know that it's worth it's weight and will keep my family warm.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I try to have a plan for a lot of situations. The mini van is our get out of town vehicle. If that fails, we have two bicycles and a little pull behind kit trailer. If that fails we've got good hiking shoes and extra socks. I don't plan on us living out in the woods for any length of time, but if we need to get out and suck it up for a while I'd like for us to be able to survive it. I can carry the weight of a family pack, but I need to know that it's worth it's weight and will keep my family warm.

Pretty much what I was thinking. But how well will the bikes do when you need to get off the road and into the (anything not smooth and open)

I'm roughly in the same boat you are. Wife has bad knees and asthma, add in a 2 year old.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You can always walk a bike and let it carry the weight of the pack. Think of it like a mule that doesn't eat or sleep.

I'm leaning towards getting another backpack and maybe getting rid of some other ones. just to get something setup and ready.

Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Stepford...aka Fishers, IN
    If I could bear the weight of carrying a sleeping system for all member of my family that would be the best option, however an option I'm considering is to pack two goretex bivvy sacks and three space blankets. The goretex will keep outside moisture at bay and the space blankets to retain as much body heat as possible. Won't be the most comfortable, but we won't be wet or too much colder than we started, providing the shelter keeps the weather and wind away.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Just a quick thought regarding your sleeping situation.

I have a 9 year old and a 4 year old. Both girls plus my wife. Depending on the physical size of your family, you could share sleeping bags.

May not be the most comfortable but the bag and body heat will keep both of you warm. I can easily sleep with me and 1 other person in my kelty fully zipped. You could do the same thing with blankets if no sleeping bag.

But realistically, in a bug out SHTF scenario, you and the wife won't be sleeping at the same time. Someone will need to keep a look out.

IDK I'm tired typing.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    A couple other options for you:

You can buy a (relatively) heavy-duty "emergency sleeping bag" that appears to be a an aluminized or mylar-covered paper sleeping bag folded into a package about the size of your fist. Two or three of those, plus an additional lightweight poncho or two would work fairly well for short term survival.

Alternatively, you can buy poncho-liners (or even use synthetic fleece blankets), cut them to size for your little ones, and sew zippers into them for mild weather sleeping bags, and carry a spare bag for your wife. Once your kids get to be able to walk well, they should be able to carry their own sleeping equipment.

Top Bottom